Kids = no sportscar

yourguitarhero

• Members

I'm right with the OP here. I dont need no stinkin money pit which will probably turn out a disappointment and hate me for being an asshole. Anyway most of life is a big {censored}ing slice of {censored} pie so I'm not going to make someone else put up with it so I can cutsey kiddie photos.

It's not the money thing (kids are not that bad) it's the added responsibility to your life, and that's fair enough.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your thought process is sound. It's nice to hear someone think that through and logically say, nope it's not for me.

I'm happily a father of three girls. My life is not MY life. It's bigger than just that. That is NOT to say it's better, or more valid than yours. If you don't want to have that kind of life than you shouldn't have kids. More power to you. That is way better than the scene I see getting played out by most dad's in my area. Half assed dads who have kids and still just live for themselves.

+1, two boys here.

I still understand that some don't want kids, and have no problem about that.

I'd book a snipping appointment asap. No hormone birth control = more laid back wife in many cases.

• Members

Not having kids is fine if thats what you choose I can respect that, having said that I know guys that made the same choice to never had kids, all went through a really bad mid life crisis in their early 40's. Most ended up leaving the wife, quiting theirs jobs and selling the cool car!! Seriously f@#$up.

I'll leave this question with you, your answer will let you know if you made the right decision:

On your death bed, would you rather be remembering how much fun you had with your kids at christmas, or teaching them guitar etc, or how well your facy car cornered coming off the interstate??

• Members

Not having kids is fine if thats what you choose I can respect that, having said that I know guys that made the same choice to never had kids, all went through a really bad mid life crisis in their early 40's. Most ended up leaving the wife, quiting theirs jobs and selling the cool car!! Seriously f@#$up.

I'll leave this question with you, your answer will let you know if you made the right decision:

On your death bed, would you rather be remembering how much fun you had with your kids at christmas, or teaching them guitar etc, or how well your facy car cornered coming off the interstate??

I see your point, but at the end of the day, if you're short cashed and never really had time to do the things you wanted to do in life, surely that could make for an unhappy parenthood? I've not done nearly enough of the stuff I want to do, I appear to have worked every day since I was 14 and not stopped. Having kids right now, to me, would be a life sentence.

• Members

My wife and I made this decision as well a few years ago. Mainly just because we don't want kids, not for any specific reason beyond that. However, my wife's uterus ended up finalizing that decision for us, since she no longer has one.

We are both in our mid/late 30's and have yet to have any regrets. Not that it matters since we have no choice anyway.

• Members

It sounds all good now to not have kids but how ya gonna feel when all your friends are gone and your current family are all dead/gone? As a parent I just can't imagine life without kids. Being selfish seems nice and all but once you become a parent you realize that all of those material things really have no meaning without anyone to share them with. I thought just like you did at one point in my life. Once I had kids it all changed. Life would be so borring without them.

• Members

The whole "death bed" argument is pointless, you could drop dead at any time. Further more, you could get a degenerative brain disease and be a pant-{censored}ting burden on your loved ones.

I'm amazed people act offended and feel they need to verbally disagree and talk down to someone for not wanting children. Imagine someone saying "I wanted to paint my bedroom green", and people reacting like "YOU WORTHLESS MORONIC ****, you're disgraceful, but whatever! It's YOUUURRRRR life!". Get bent, you {censored}ing idiots. It doesn't effect you, but it sure effects OP. You can't hand a kid back. He's thought about it, he decided not to do it. Where's your reason for acting so outraged or condescending?

Honestly, I think too many guys grow up and do what is expected of them, rather than what they want, and end up bitter. I'd hate to look in the mirror one day and realize I'm trying to convince myself a mortgage, 3 kids, and a fat wife who doesn't put out anymore is all I want from life. That kind of existence would drive me to becoming the kind of guy who posts on internet forums with a holier-than-thou attitude, angry at people who didn't blindly leap into massive life decisions, and clearly there's more than enough of them in the world. So enjoy the smug comments, I guess little victories on internet forums are all some guys have left.

Jeez it's depressing even typing that... I'm sure someone will post a condescending rebuttal with the "winking smiley thumbs up" anyway to put me in my place, or tell me I'm selfish & it's just as well I'm not breeding, or whatever else they need to hold on to keep getting up in the morning. Whatever. Waste what few spare minutes you have in the day telling me I'm in the wrong, I don't care.

• Members

To the OP: It's good to see that you and your GF are honest with each other. Just make sure to let her know, that if she ever changes her mind, that she should let you know, so you can discuss it. Otherwise, it will eat her up.

I teach highschool kids on a daily basis, and it seems there are very, very few decent and responsible parents out there. A lot of people that didn't take the responsibility seriously. And while the majority of the kids I see with problems come from broken homes, a few comes from "nuclear" families; but they're "dream kids", projects, that has never been told no or been given any sort of opposition their whole life. So I'm left with 19 year olds refusing to acknowledge that they actually need to put in an effort to get anywhere in life, and that a law degree or dream job wont fall into their laps.

Me, I want kids. I'm 27, happily married, with a pretty good job and everything, but I cant help feel like I'm missing something in my life. I dont want big cars, I dont have a great need to travel. I want to create something beautiful with the woman I love and see it grow up. It wont be easy, of course, but the best parts in life comes from struggles.

• Members

We want to travel, to spend our money on ourselves - live for each other and not another person who is 100% dependent on us.

We will live the lives of homosexual couples - nice clothes, furniture, food, cars and holidays and when we're old we'll sell our house and live off the cash and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!

Same here

• Members

I dont want big cars, I dont have a great need to travel. I want to create something beautiful with the woman I love and see it grow up. It wont be easy, of course, but the best parts in life comes from struggles.

Holy {censored}, someone exactly like me!

• Members

Youre not even old enough to come to this decision. You
are
old enough to be acting so immature, and selfish, though.

Piece of advice; stick to this decision!

The world has enough selfish people. No doubt your children would be just like you.

:wave:

are you retarded, like srsly?

• Members

I turned 45 in April and my wife and I had our first child 8 weeks ago. I waited a long ass time to have a kid, I had one with a good woman and I've gotten to do most of the things I've wanted to in life. We definitely want to have more kids. I think it's great that these days, most people don't feel like failures because they don't have kids or are forced by societal pressures to knuckle under and live a conventional lifestyle. Having a child is a very personal choice and a huge responsibility. Much like a marriage it is not something that should be done without a great deal of thought. And that's all I have to say about that.

• Members

I certainly don't want kids in my life at this point (I'm 29 and single), but I think I will when I find the right girl.

This is me. 29 also, with a semi- gf, and 4-5 years ago I was 100% dead set on no kids w/ my then-gf. I'm pretty close with my fam and I have an older cousin and he and his wife are both 36 and just had their 2nd baby with a 2 year old already in tow, so I can see myself being a mid-30s first time dad and just leaving it there. I wouldn't mind having just one, as long as it's a boy. :lol: If it's a girl, I probably will just walk out than risk trying again and end up with TWO girls... :facepalm:

But I understand the OP, but your priorities change over your lifetime for the most part, and nobody's forcing you to have chillins, so anyway. :)

however i would like to know I have it in me to work hard enough to have a chillin and Ferrari... :cop:

• Members

Well, I'm 33, my girlfriend 32 and we will try to have one this year. If you asked me this 5 years ago, before I met my current girlfriend, it would have been a clear NO.

I think meeting the right girl was it for me. I was afraid of commitement, but when I did with her I got more than I expected.

I have a great house since a year and no debts. It still scares the {censored} out of me thought lol But I feel like I did most of the things I wanted in my 20s. The girls, the band, the trips. I have the impression my life would be boring at 40-50 without kids. My parents always say to me we are their most precious thing! When I'm not calling mom for a week she,s missing me!

The world scares me too... but the world has ALWAYS been scary. People who say the world is more dangerous now than before need some history lessons. Of course we have the power now to wipe ourselves out, but its not like it was always a funny ride back then. Damn people were dying at 30 and living in crap houses with no electricty and clean water not so long ago. (yeah some still do, I know).

EDIT : Got a sportcar when I was 21. Now I could'nt give less a {censored} about it.

• Members

I respect the decision to have no kids, to each its own I guess, but I could NOT imagine my life without my son. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. And I still have a lot of fun, play in bands, go out, date a lot of girls blah blah... It's all about knowing how to manage your life and your time. But yes, it's not for everyone and I respect that.

• Members

I respect the decision to have no kids, to each its own I guess, but I could NOT imagine my life without my son. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. And I still have a lot of fun, play in bands, go out, date a lot of girls blah blah... It's all about knowing how to manage your life and your time. But yes, it's not for everyone and I respect that.

Yeah. I'm sure most people would feel the same way if they had a kid even if by mistake. Even the ones against the idea. All of my friends have kids and have plenty of time to do all the stuff that I do. I'm certain if i became a father, it would be great. Seeing how I have absolutely no choice but to NOT be a father, I'm quite happy that I had no intentions otherwise.

• Members
and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!

whew. thank God ur not having kids.:)
it really helps to be an adult if u decide to have kids.
clearly u seem too self-absorbed.

for ur sake i hope u never grow up...b/c if u do G/U in ur 40's or 50's, it'll be too late to have kids w/o a GREAT CHANCE of maladies....oops, sorry...>>really, really bad things/conditions/illnesses.

i realize it's a life choice ur making, but nothing, NOTHING in the world that u can buy or do, will be as fulfilling and utterly breathtaking as when ur child says I LOVE U DAD.

Bumr ur gonna miss out on that, Skippy.

• Members

whew. thank God ur not having kids.
:)
it really helps to be an adult if u decide to have kids.

clearly u seem too self-absorbed.

for ur sake i hope u never grow up...b/c if u do G/U in ur 40's or 50's, it'll be too late to have kids w/o a GREAT CHANCE of maladies....oops, sorry...>>really, really bad things/conditions/illnesses.

i realize it's a life choice ur making, but nothing, NOTHING in the world that u can buy or do, will be as fulfilling and utterly breathtaking as when ur child says I LOVE U DAD.

Bumr ur gonna miss out on that, Skippy.

You're butthurt too?

Archived