Kids = no sportscar

yourguitarhero

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My honest opinion on the matter is:

1) To the OP and his wife, good choice! Sounds (no offense) like you guys might not make the best parents in that you'd see them more as a burden than as a blessing.

2) The whole human race needs no {censored}ing help with adding to the crop, I mean we're growing at something like 75,000,000 people a year (maybe more), and it's exponential.

3) We're all on the {censored}ing Titanic, and it has set sail my friends. The course is plotted and that's all there is to it. No, it's not impossible to turn things around but you don't have to be Einstein to see it's not gonna happen. So enjoy the show before {censored} gets ugly, because I believe it will within the lifetimes of most of us here. I have made the decision to not have kids based solely on the future I don't want to bring them into. I know it's a grim outlook....but, unfortunately, I'm a realist.

• Members

I get the OP.

Me and my fiancee (who've been together 7+ years) have made the same decision. And we're of com[parable age....me 31, she 34.

Did it for multiple reasons. But not the least of which is the fact that we feel we work way to hard for our money not to enjoy it ourselves...that said, we're both broke, and lower,lower middle class. But we hope to do better over time....having a kid or two would make that a bigger strain. Especially since I plan on going back to school, possibly to be a vet...that almost 10 years of college, maybe more....while working....probably full time. When would I have time to write and record the music I love so much? Some days I barely have the time and energy to even do it NOW! Plus, I often consider putting together a live band to perform it live once again, if I could ever get over near-agoraphobic tendencies (I leave the house almost exclusively to go to work ,and martial arts classes....that's it).

Also too....it's a {censored}ed up world out there...and only getting more {censored}ed up by the day....not sure I'd want to willingly subject my own flesh and blood to it. I barely want to be part of it myself, but have no choice in the matter. And anybody who thinks my having a child would change my opinion, and thus render me less miserable....that's an awfully big gamble, wouldnt you think? Suppose I just grow even more bitter, and thus violent, extremely depressed, and ultimately become abusive, and possibly die as an indirect result of my "self medicating"? It's what happened to my father....I'd like to think I'm stronger than that...but what if I'm wrong?

I've nothing against kids, or people who have them....and sure, they can be cute....when their somebody else's responsibility. It's just something me and my better half have opted not to get involved in. I really don't see how others could or should have an issue with that.

Irony is, I've spent my life being "on the outside" so to speak. Never really it into any groups and what have you. Now, as an adult, I've kinda gotten over that social awkwardness, only to find I've nothing in common with most all my peers. Most dudes I meet, all they talk about is sports, and their kids. Both are things I know nothing about, nor care to be involved in. Once a conversation veers away from music, movies/TV, or comic books....I'm lost. So yah.....life is a vicious cycle....and I'm rambling.

Time for another beer.....

• Members
So, the wife and I have decided to never have children.

It's weird, I've always thought of it as one of those things I'll do it and some unspecified time in the future - you know, have a bit of fun now then get serious and have kids.

With some introspection I've realised I don't want any kids. Turns out the wife feels the same way.

We feel they take over your lives - time-wise, responsibility, financially. Kind of like it's been hanging over your head - you know, gotta get a good job so we can get a house for the kids when we have them,l have to get a family car etc. {censored} that, I want a 2 seater and a home cinema

We want to travel, to spend our money on ourselves - live for each other and not another person who is 100% dependent on us.

We're 29 and 30, so not that young
:cop:

We will live the lives of homosexual couples - nice clothes, furniture, food, cars and holidays and when we're old we'll sell our house and live off the cash and not worry about having to leave an inheritance. Round the world cruise!

me and my wife are in the same position...same age too (well wife is 28) we had the conversation and i dont want kids because i dont like babies or school/highschool kids. dont mind them when there like 3-5? when they are cute and impressionable.
wife doesnt want to get pregnant more than once. she doesnt want only one kid (as she herself was an only child) so if shes gonna be up the duff she wants twins. guaranteed twins. so shes happy to accept the gamble is not worth the risk

also...i dont wannna be 50 and the kid 15-20. so for me...its to late.

plus...why would you want to bring a kid into this world?

• Members

You kidding?
My son loves riding my Cobra.
it's alot more fun than mommy's car.
I want to keep it and give it to him someday.

Oh, and we did all that fun stuff for about ten years, now it's a whole different world of fun stuff.
Not trying to change your mind, kids aren't for everyone and lord knows there's plenty of lousy parents, not that you'd be, but it's something you need to prepare for and be into 100%.

• Members

My lady and I aren't going to have our own kids. I am just unhealthy as {censored} (asthma and respiratory issues, terrible vision and a family history of cancer and heart problems) and I don't wish my life on anyone, especially my kids. Also, both of our fathers were twins ... and we are broke enough as is contemplating having one kid.

So instead, we are planning on doing essentially what the OP said: travel, get our careers set and then settle down. At that point, we plan to adopt an asian kid. Mainly because my wife wouldn't have to get pregnant (after her three sisters have had kids, one had twins, she does not like that idea at all), we wouldn't be adding to the population problem and the kid will be smart enough to figure out he is adopted :cop: .

• Members

I used to feel like I'd never want kids. Then I dated a girl who has a two-year old son. Even though our relationship didn't work out, the experience completely changed my mind about children. He was awesome and brought an amazing amount of joy into my life. I definitely want a nuclear family one day.

• Members

It's not his opinion. It's his life choice. WTF is wrong with you people?

let me put it in perfectly good {censored}ING ENGLISH for you then:

i don't agree with the OP'S LIFE CHOICE.

jesus christ, are you meaning to tell me you couldn't get the point i was attempting to convey with saying 'opinion' (which it is technically, if you want to get into semantics)????

next time, i'll put a 'MUST HAVE HIGHER THAN 5TH GRADE READING COMPREHENSION LEVEL' disclaimer on my posts :freak:

• Members

I used to feel like I'd never want kids. Then I dated a girl who has a two-year old son. Even though our relationship didn't work out, the experience completely changed my mind about children. He was awesome and brought an amazing amount of joy into my life. I definitely want a nuclear family one day.

I can't believe anyone would want a nuclear family after what recently happened in Japan.

• Members

your both selfish people and you dont want your blood line to carry on or your last name for that matter...dunno why any man would do that...i have kids and its the best thing that ever happened to me.
a person never really lives until he or she has children and the life experiance that comes along with it.
but hey if you wanna be immature and have no meaning in your life thats up to you!

• Members

your both selfish people and you dont want your blood line to carry on or your last name for that matter...dunno why any man would do that...i have kids and its the best thing that ever happened to me.

a person never really lives until he or she has children and the life experiance that comes along with it.

but hey if you wanna be immature and have no meaning in your life thats up to you!

Wow....you know so much about them that you know what's best for them? Or anyone else?

Obviously every couple should have kids because, well, dammit, all couples just should!

As to the boldest part, that's complete bull{censored}. Its a different experience, one that those of us without children will never share, but to say those without kids never really live? {censored} you and your stupid high horse asshat.

• Members

1244934701809.jpg

• Members

Wow....you know so much about them that you know what's best for them? Or anyone else?

Obviously every couple should have kids because, well, dammit, all couples just should!

As to the boldest part, that's complete bull{censored}. Its a different experience, one that those of us without children will never share, but to say those without kids never really live? {censored} you and your stupid high horse asshat.

Ovid has a temper! :eek::eek::lol:

As for the OP, the way you put it (ie. I don't want kids because they'll take away from my toys and my playtime), it's easy to see why some people saw it as a selfish decision.

• Members
Ovid has a temper!
:eek:
:eek:
:lol:

As for the OP, the way you put it (ie. I don't want kids because they'll take away from my toys and my playtime), it's easy to see why some people saw it as a selfish decision.

:lol: I suppose I came across a bit strong.....

That sort of attitude pisses me off though. There are a million and one reasons why a couple would choose not to have children. And for some couples, its a very difficult decision only come to after much consideration, thought and prayer.

To have someone just make blanket statements like that.... :mad:

I do see how some ppl might feel the OP's choice is selfish for the reasons listed. But hell, its their choice and their lives.

Obviously, it'd be better for them to have kids and be too busy to raise them right. We don't have enough neglected/spoiled children running about these days. :rolleyes:

• Members

:lol:
I suppose I came across a bit strong.....

That sort of attitude pisses me off though. There are a million and one reasons why a couple would choose not to have children. And for some couples, its a very difficult decision only come to after much consideration, thought and prayer.

To have someone just make blanket statements like that....
:mad:

I do see how some ppl might feel the OP's choice is selfish for the reasons listed. But hell, its their choice and their lives.

Obviously, it'd be better for them to have kids and be too busy to raise them right. We don't have enough neglected/spoiled children running about these days.
:rolleyes:

Agreed. :thu:

I want kids at some point, but I would never say that everyone should have them and the way that so many kids act these days is a testament to that. :freak:

• Members

I'm bored and need a game changer. I think I'm gonna knock my girlfriend up. And, according to some posters in this thread, it'll be the best decision I've ever made :love:

In all seriousness, I applaud the OP and his wife for taking the time to do some soul searching and making a rational decision in not having kids.

• Members

What the hell does, "I don't agree with the OP's life choice" even mean? Agree with what? No one asked a question or made a declarative statement. There was nothing to accept or deny. You can agree that someone's life choice is: Good, bad, fun, boring, mean, thoughtful, etc. You can't agree with a choice.

• Members

So it's selfish to live your life how you choose and see fit?

It's his life, if he doesn't want kids in it cool, his life to ruin :o.

I kid of course :badump:

Good on you op to talk it out and make your own decision.

I personally do want kids eventually, because that is my decision for my life.

• Members

Well, I'm a similar age to you and all the way through our 20s, me and my other half said the exact same thing "No kids!" Same reasons too: we spent our 20s in debt, clinging onto the housing market in an extremely volatile job market. We were both IT contractors and between out-of-contract time and university debts we both had, things mounted up. Added to that, our house needs about

• Members
Seems like a few people get it and I seem to have offended a couple of folks!

I'm not fussed if other folk want to have kids - it's their own choice - not a judgement on them. Keep {censored}ing!

We've just decided we don't want to. Maybe it is selfish, so what? This is the 21st century - I don't need to have kids to help me out on the farm or look after me when I'm old. Having kids will change our lives massively and in a direction we don't want.

Anyway, we're not heartless people - we've got each other......... and our cat
:cop:

My uncle and aunt made this decision back in the 60's.

I for one think that's fine, and up until my wife was pregnant I thought the same (my wife it told it would be almost impissible to have kids, the doctors just never new about Neil sperm) but once I had my son I am glad I did, but I will be honest it took a lot of adjusting to the idea. I had to become a lot more emotionally mature and fast.

But if you choose not to, and there is nothing wrong with that.

I look forward to the new kid day thread.

Archived