The official HCAF NHL playoffs thread...

Zeppelin Rules

• Members

I knew something bad was going to happen when I saw three Detroit players coming in to defend that breakaway like that.

Seriously. :lol: Saw that and Howard going for it too and I was like "WTF ARE YOU DOING!" at the screen.

Torres MUST get suspended for that. All this {censored} this year has year has to stop.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Looks like 2 legs of the axis of evil (Pittsburgh, Detroit... Boston) are about to fall hard. Great to see some underdog teams tough it out.

As far as suspensions, Pittsburgh, Chicago's and Ottawa's were well deserved.

The latest hit on Hossa is unacceptable. Even though I am pulling for the Coyotes, Raffe should sit at least 4 for that one.

Well, let's hope Sid and Evgeni have their golf clubs and Kleenex ready. Buh Bye!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• Members

As far as suspensions, Pittsburgh, Chicago's and Ottawa's were well deserved.

Well-deserved, but excluding Shaw, too little. Asham's out for the rest of the series and the likelihood of Pittsburgh actually making it past that is tiny, but he should be out for more, even if it means crossing over into the next season; that was just a disgusting, embarrassing thing to do. Neal could have easily been gone for two, but luckily Giroux wasn't injured by that dangerous hit. Carkner should have been gone for more than one game. He deserved at least three for continuing when Boyle was on the ground - same thing as Asham, but sans crosscheck to the face (and Carkner arguably had a bit more justification). Weber should have gotten more than a fine (his $2500 vs $20 000 to Tortorella for an interview?) - I'd argue a game for that, possibly two due to the recklessness and intent of what he did.

Hagelin out for three was pretty weak though; don't feel he deserved that.

The latest hit on Hossa is unacceptable. Even though I am pulling for the Coyotes, Raffe should sit at least 4 for that one.

Torres will definitely be sitting out three to five for that.

• Members

Torres should be out for sure such bull{censored}. Smith did a great acting job granted Shaw should have tried to just stop instead of try and squeeze through Smith and the boards still 3 {censored}ing games? Shaw is good for the hawks and now with Hossa out too its gonna hurt. Terrible calls so far for Chicago.

• Members

I have said that the "new NHL" rules are causing for some of these violent injuries

They wanted more speed and more speed and more speed (no slowing down opposing players) and as a result you have 200+ lb guys lfying all over the ice at faster speeds --- WTF do you think is going to happen with all those guys flying when u cant slow them down anywhere on the ice?

Bettman and company have to realize there new product development has caused some of these very violent collisions

:idea:

• Members

it all points back to the instigator rule and taking the self policing away from the players. it use to be an honour system, you take a shot at our star, we get your star etc.
players now have grown up in this environment and don't fear consequence. they should make the ice surface a little bit bigger to give players a little more room and time to react. the players are way bigger and so much faster now. if you look at footage from even 25 years ago, it's a completely different game now.

• Members
it all points back to the instigator rule and taking the self policing away from the players. it use to be an honour system, you take a shot at our star, we get your star etc.

players now have grown up in this environment and don't fear consequence. they should make the ice surface a little bit bigger to give players a little more room and time to react. the players are way bigger and so much faster now. if you look at footage from even 25 years ago, it's a completely different game now.

Agreed, let the player police the game and not the suits in a front office, agreed 100% :thu:

The rule changes have sped the game up though, especially the last 5-6 years or so -- the league wanted this and now you have more violent big crashes, playing hitting each other all over the place, shyt i think Crosby got a concussion from hitting Dupre or another teamate! {censored} getting hurt when hitting own players

Its not the only reason, but its clearly part of the reason imo

• Members

I think the Flyers are unusually resilient compared to previous years due to the large number of rookies they have. If you have played in the league a long time and don't win the cup, I think the psychological pressure mounts. Rookies don't have that pressure. Previous Flyers teams have typically comprised a lot of over the hill veterans. Bob Clarke was a terrible GM.

• Members

funny how that works huh? that Lucic hit on Miller during the regular season? no suspension, funny huh

Habs fan here, so I don't have a dog in the fight. I just don't want it to be those Boston pussies again. Last year after they eliminated us I was all "Well, it was a great series, we took 'em to Game 7, good on 'em" Then I heard a solid week of Boston whining like bitches about the team that they just beat. WTF?

The best was seeing Lars Eller take down Chara in Game 7. Eller took down Chara? Really? And Boston whined and whined.

• Members

I love the continual anti-Boston posts. Lucic definitely should have seen a game or to out for the Miller hit. It cannot really be directly compared to the Smith/Shaw thing though, because in the same way that the most recent batch of suspensions is (at least partly) a necessary response in wake of {censored}ing up the ruling on Weber/Zetterberg, pretty much all "goalie contact" rulings since the Lucic thing, are a result of {censored}ing up the call on the Miller hit.

Somewhat positive/surprising to me that all of the last three rulings were suspensions. But the inconsistency is still ringing loud.

The Backstrom ruling was fine, and he should have gotten the one game. If he had pulled that move at the start of a game he would have been hit with a misconduct and sat the rest of the game out anyhow. It only follows logically that pulling that {censored} after time expires, would result in the same thing: the player misses the next game. It is funny to see the Caps complaining about it in their released statement though. I suppose they have to feel that way considering what they will be missing from Backstom being out, but the dude really {censored}ed that up all by himself by getting undisciplined at a really stupid point in(after) the game.

The Penguins penalties were typically bizarre though. It is funny watching the Shanahan videos. I watched the Asham one first, and four games seemed about right to me, because it wasn't just the crosscheck but the follow up punch as well, which raises the offense level in my mind from just stupid(like the Backstom one) to completely {censored}ing idiotic.

Then in the Neal video, as Shanahan is describing all of the {censored} that Neal did and then all of the past things that he has seen discipline for, i was thinking, "oh man, it sounds like he is about to get the book thrown at him" and then he dropped the "one game" thing and it was just like: :confused: Neal should have seen two games IMO. I guess that is the "star player" beast rearing its head though. I guess it won't matter if the Flyers end it tonight anyhow. :idk:

Now the Torres thing from yesterday. It is, in my view, time to remove that dumb{censored} from the league for a properly long time. He clearly doesn't know how to make clean hits, and he clearly doesn't want to do so anyhow. If you watch videos of all of the bad hits he has made on folks, they are practically all the same exact hit. He aims for the same exact spot on guys heads and follows through the same way every time. How the {censored} do they keep letting the guy lace up? I would love to see him out for more than ten games. I guess we will see how that goes. :facepalm:

• Members

Looks like Torres is done for the series and maybe the season.

Another factor that has contributed to the increase in speed in the last 25 odd years is the length of shifts. There was a time where the same 5 guys were on the ice for 60 minutes. The average length of a shift has steadily been declining to the point where now it's around 45 seconds. When you're on the ice for such a short period of time, you can go full out because you know you're going to get a rest. In the old days there was a lot more coasting and as a result a lot more time to make plays because guys knew they couldn't deplete the tank.

• Members

Its a smokescreen

TV ratings are the highest in 10 years, and NBC broke a record for hockey first round game viewing audience - FACT!

Its the "douchebags" in media who bash hockey EVERY SINGLE chance they get for its rough play -- These assholes couldnt tell you a blue line from a red line but they ALWAYS ALWAYS have a opinion on physical hockey (Funny how the rough play always makes the highltes, ha?) They manage to stick their head up like a gremlin --- STFU and stay away from the sport ya douchenozzle!

:cop:

• Members

I think the Flyers are unusually resilient compared to previous years due to the large number of rookies they have. If you have played in the league a long time and don't win the cup, I think the psychological pressure mounts. Rookies don't have that pressure. Previous Flyers teams have typically comprised a lot of over the hill veterans. Bob Clarke was a terrible GM.

I agree this year is different. Not only with more younger players, but also we have more speed than size. Previous Flyer teams relied on strength and size, but this year we have an impressive amount of smaller, faster players.

• Members

I don't think either Pennsylvania team has an actual goalie at all?

Both teams might actually see better results if they just piled up a goalie's worth of pads and equipment in the crease?

Fleury may have had a couple bad games but he's an elite goalie, he'll turn it around.

• Members

Fleury may have had a couple bad games but he's an elite goalie, he'll turn it around.

Well, he seems to play much better with a seven goal lead anyhow? :lol:

Nah, i know they can play better, on both ends, but they have all sucked pretty bad this series so far.

Archived