The official HCAF NHL playoffs thread...

Zeppelin Rules

• Members

If Brendan Shanahan has any brains at all, he is going to start making the bull{censored} cheapshots hurt, and hurt a lot, via multigame suspensions. Multiple games in multiple series have had multiple bull{censored} cheapshots the last couple days. Players are acting crazy, and there need to be some suspensions to snap them out of it.

all season long i had high hopes based on the way he handled things - now... not so much. they're (the nhl) going to keep pretending to care until someone gets seriously hurt, and then they'll probably overreact by banning a guy for life and go right back to the status quo. disappointing.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Part of the problem is the NHL "thirst for speed" since the 04 lockout

All the rule changes, cracking down on *ANY* holding/infringment penalties has made the game even faster and the collisions and checks even more intense and rough, {censored} players have got hurt hitting own teamates! (See sid Crosby) -- The amount of injuries has SKYROCKETED since the 04 lockout and alot of it is the "new NHL"s thirst for speed and trying to make it a Euro game, the games faster now

Shanahan has a tough job, but hes terrible and just like Colin Campbell (his predecessor) star players get star treatment and physical guys get double standards --- Let the player police the game more and not the suits in the front office

:idea:

• Members

I think it's the best TV sport ever.

This. Lots of continuous action, the zones are small enough that you can see all the players most of the time, the camera angles are such that you get a sense of being in the arena, and I don't know about south of the border, but we have outstanding announcers that don't leave any dead air.

• Members

Shaw gets 3 games.. That is utter bull{censored}.. I'm speechless as to how they can't tell Smith, at the least, embellished his injury and two it was more or less a rookie mistake.. So, sure let's give him 3 games.. While Webber gets fined. The guy on Ottawa who went all thug on Boyle got 2.. shanahan is making no sense these playoffs..

• Members

Shaw gets 3 games.. That is utter bull{censored}.. I'm speechless as to how they can't tell Smith, at the least, embellished his injury and two it was more or less a rookie mistake.. So, sure let's give him 3 games.. While Webber gets fined. The guy on Ottawa who went all thug on Boyle got 2.. shanahan is making no sense these playoffs..

I have a bad feeling that it is going to make even less sense after we see what he does with the Asham, Neal, and Backstrom rulings.

If Shaw gets three, each of those should get at least three. But i have a uneasy feeling that very little will come of those three.

I would like to think that if Shanahan got a "do-over" on the Weber thing, he might come down harder, especially in light of the madness that followed in the games right after that. But the consistency thing has been such an issue with the rulings so far, that my gut tells me that perhaps, defying logic, he still wouldn't.

• Members

it's not based on the seriousness of the infraction, it's based on the stature of the player committing the offense. ie: Weber being an integral part of the team (Shaw=not a superstar) and suspending him would put undue hardship on the Nashville Predators. the way the league is being managed, the politics, favouritism, suspensions based on stature etc. is a complete sham, it's a {censored}ing joke.

• Members

it's not based on the seriousness of the infraction, it's based on the stature of the player committing the offense. ie: Weber being an integral part of the team (Shaw=not a superstar) and suspending him would put undue hardship on the Nashville Predators. the way the league is being managed, the politics, favouritism, suspensions based on stature etc. is a complete sham, it's a {censored}ing joke.

I think you are right, but I'm not sure about the severity of the infraction or injury..this game happened on Saturday. Phoenix first said Smith isn't practicing today, then said he isn't available to the media because of "extreme circumstance", but he did practice. I think the league was looking to see if Smith was really injured.. And Phoenix is playing it up. There is no rightful reason I can see that took them 3 days to make this decision besides waiting to see what happened, if anything, to Smith. And Shaw isn't a superstar, but he is important to the Hawks.. {censored} Shanahan

• Members

I think it's a testament to how defensively the game is played these days that players are still willing to jeopardize their teams chances by taking all these penalties. With the exception of the pittsburgh series, there haven't been a lot of power play goals scored in most of the games I've been watching.

Still, this level of goonery can only go so far. In the Ottawa game last night there were more penalties called during scrums and fewer offsetting penalties, so it seems the refs are making calls that actually penalize.

• Members

TV ratings are up big time so far

Yea hockey fans hate rough and tough hockey, 'ratings would be higher if we cut out the rough stuff'

:rolleyes::facepalm:

Its definitely got me the most engaged I've been in awhile. I don't remember the last time I've caught games in all the series.. Especially first round.. Plus there isn't any high ranking teams just dominating.. The only potential sweeps are 2 of the best teams getting swept... All around, its just great match ups..

• Members

wow, Detroit is in trouble. hockey players know by the time they're about 10 years old that you never, ever, pass or take the puck out in front of your own net, what was Cleary thinking, there is no higher fail than that. (other than shooting it into your own net)

• Members

How about them Flyers??? I don't think the Redwings will be in the 2nd bracket...they got 2 losses early in the series. I only go for 3 teams anyway. Nucks, Flyers and Redwings. Flyers stomped the Pens in game 2. That's good stuff right there, folks. 8-4? Really? I mean, were the Penguins even there? Did they even play? Why did they show up?

Ok, so the Redwings and the Nucks will get knocked out. But see, you guys seem to forget the Flyers have a tendency to get all dumb strong and then lose it right at the end. Or they barely scrape by. I think they got a real strong team. 2 good wins right out of the gate...

Flyers vs panthers, then probably the rangers. I don't think Boston needs another Stanley cup so soon. Western div will come down to Kings and Predators...

• Members

How about them Flyers??? I don't think the Redwings will be in the 2nd bracket...they got 2 losses early in the series. I only go for 3 teams anyway. Nucks, Flyers and Redwings. Flyers stomped the Pens in game 2. That's good stuff right there, folks. 8-4? Really? I mean, were the Penguins even there? Did they even play? Why did they show up?

Ok, so the Redwings and the Nucks will get knocked out. But see, you guys seem to forget the Flyers have a tendency to get all dumb strong and then lose it right at the end. Or they barely scrape by. I think they got a real strong team. 2 good wins right out of the gate...

Flyers vs panthers, then probably the rangers. I don't think Boston needs another Stanley cup so soon. Western div will come down to Kings and Predators...

anybody but Boston

Archived