Gibby vs Epi

fretless

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Gibson LP is easily the greatest sounding guitar I've ever played. When I bought it I didn't even plug it in at first. I had been playing Lesters for an hour including a custom shop R8 and none of them had the resonance and feel of mine, even though the back is 2 pieces of mahogany.

I used to believe that, electronics aside, Gibsons weren't significantly better, but now every Epi I pick up feels like a dipped-in-plastic toy in comparison.

• Members

I used to believe that, electronics aside, Gibsons weren't significantly better, but now every Epi I pick up feels like a dipped-in-plastic toy in comparison.

yup. well, I always knew Gibsons were a cut above. Hell, I have owned a ton of Epi LP's and still own an Epi LPC.

• Members

Different guitars can sound different. I tried three les paul '60s tributes, they each sounded different. Same with two seemingly identical explorers, and 4 gretsch electromatics, and any number of Strats

In the case of the '60s tribute, one was so nice I had to buy it, one was a bit less good, and one sounded muddy and flat.

So surely some Gibsons will play better than some Epiphones and vice versa? :confused:

• Members

lol no one watched.. attention span zero.. too busy big noting yourselves..

You guys aren't American by any chance?

Yeah I went there.. but.. it's not like the Epi vs Gibson thing was any more riveting.

The point of the story is.. the sustain on that Epi was crazy. More than 3 times that of the Gibsons, possibly because of sweet spot.. but still.. there needs to be more vids testing that {censored}.. everyone talks about sustain like it's this mystical element.. but bend a note, get a stop watch and compare guitars.. at least that way, there is some kind of rough reference point.

• Members

yup. well, I always knew Gibsons were a cut above. Hell, I have owned a ton of Epi LP's and still own an Epi LPC.

I remember you having trying japan epis that were pretty good? Would you consider them "epiphones"? Or just japan gibbys? (well they used to be orvilles). Were they nitro finished or polyester? What is really characteristic is the sense of ...furniture finish gibsons have. Makes you feel good (if you like it, or the smell) even before plugging in.

What exactly does epiphone mean anyway? They were made everywhere from many different factories subcontracted? For me it is a way for gibson to have cheap copies of the originals in shape without being immediately related to the "quality" of the US made line...

Also some nice models that were never available from gibson like the del ray, or even weird colours shapes etc that wouldn't exactly make sense for the more serious parent company.

Until I saw the zoot that is...

• Members

lol no one watched.. attention span zero.. too busy big noting yourselves..

You guys aren't American by any chance?

Yeah I went there.. but.. it's not like the Epi vs Gibson thing was any more riveting.

The point of the story is.. the sustain on that Epi was crazy. More than 3 times that of the Gibsons, possibly because of sweet spot.. but still.. there needs to be more vids testing that {censored}.. everyone talks about sustain like it's this mystical element.. but bend a note, get a stop watch and compare guitars.. at least that way, there is some kind of rough reference point.

I watched most of it. I just don't have time to watch 33 minutes of guitar comparisons. I saw the sustain thing but they admit themselves they probably hit a sweet spot on that particular guitar. Then later Chappers said the Epi pickups lacked the oomph of the Gibson pickups.

so yeah... what's the point again.

Archived