Gibby vs Epi

fretless

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I watched most of it. I just don't have time to watch 33 minutes of guitar comparisons. I saw the sustain thing but they admit themselves they probably hit a sweet spot on that particular guitar. Then later Chappers said the Epi pickups lacked the oomph of the Gibson pickups.

so yeah... what's the point again.

I'm guessing the Gibson's pickups are hotter and/or the pole pieces are closer to the strings, thus more magnetic pull and less sustain.

Could also just be that particular LP is a turd sustain wise.

• Members

Actually, I did watch it and commented that their conclusion was that they were all good guitars on the first page :poke:

Anyway, I don't hold stop watches up to my guitars when I play them. If I need more sustain I turn the rig up louder, but really I doubt I'll ever be holding a note for the 27 or whatever seconds that guitar sustained for. In addition, as noted above, I have an Epi LPC and a Gibson LP Standard. One feels like a finely crafted, handmade instrument made of nice cuts of wood and plays like a dream. It rings like a bell, the fretboard feels amazing, the fit and finish is fantastic, and reminds me of a handmade violin. My Epiphone, while still a nice rock guitar, isn't on par. Fretboard feels like plastic with a wood grain pattern, whole guitar feels like it's dipped in plastic, it seems kinda dead in comparison to my Gibson, fretwork is rough, the electronics have crapped out more than once, and overall I don't enjoy playing it nearly as much. Also it doesn't seem to sit evenly when I play it... not sure what that's all about. However, I can and have gigged with it, and anyone that can play would have no trouble making it work.

The bottom line? Play whatever the hell feels best to you. There are a ton of subjective nuances that we all look for in the perfect axe, and some are subtle differences that only the player will notice. If that makes you more comfortable when playing it, I would think it would bring out your best playing.

Exactly... anyone thats claiming their epi with duncan pickups is just as good as a real gibby is deluding themselves. Ever take the plate off the back? Even the control cavities are immaculate on a gibby. On an epiphone it looks like they swept a bunch of {censored} under the rug.

Archived