AMT developing solid state tubes 6l6 and 12ax7. Go AMT!

Travisaurus Rex

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Travisaurus Rex View Post
I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to share this since I am a total AMT fanboy. They are developing solid state tubes for 6l6 and 12ax7. I know others have tried but if anyone can do if right it would be AMT. Plus they look cool to.
c5dQkYM9PAePWOzl9j4lYgmz_hgQ7SRpB8aeOoo5

There are some graphs for the tech guys to decipher, I don't know what they mean.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Ab0/edit?pli=1

Sorry if it is old news.

I was told by someone at jet city that Mike Soldano is doing a similar thing?????

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Travisaurus Rex View Post
I haven't been here in a while but I wanted to share this since I am a total AMT fanboy. They are developing solid state tubes for 6l6 and 12ax7. I know others have tried but if anyone can do if right it would be AMT. Plus they look cool to.
c5dQkYM9PAePWOzl9j4lYgmz_hgQ7SRpB8aeOoo5

There are some graphs for the tech guys to decipher, I don't know what they mean.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Ab0/edit?pli=1

Sorry if it is old news.

I was told by someone at jet city that Mike Soldano is doing a similar thing?????

• Members

This technology has been worked to the point of it being equally good as any tube it's replacing. The success comes, not from excessive R&D, but from being able to make buying masses to think entirely different as they have done before. That's a lot more work - and way more difficult - than to design realistic tube replacements using SS technology and requires a way different skillset.

I wager it won't happen yet again.

Tube guys won't buy them
Solid-state guys already have what they need in simpler packages
The guys who don't care don't care about such product either

technically may end up in newer SS amps
It's already in AMT products, for example. And their main ideas aren't too far off from, for example, what Peavey has been doing with their TransTube circuitry. Accurate tube emulations have been employed in solid-state amps for ages so why does anyone actually even need a tube amp today. ...even less, a tube amp with solid-state devices emulating tubes - like in solid-state amps. facepalm.gif

finally there is some company wanting to take the old Fetron to new levels!
Despite being a total fail with musical instrument amps (and total WIN in all other applications) the FETRON has likely been the most successfull of these kinds of products. Ironically, it never tried to emulate the {censored}ty performance of tubes but flat out aimed to replace them with solid-state's linearity. A recipe that was total win for precision equipment, which were probably the only wortwhile market for such devices. Today pretty much all precision equipment is already solid-state, though.

• Members

This technology has been worked to the point of it being equally good as any tube it's replacing. The success comes, not from excessive R&D, but from being able to make buying masses to think entirely different as they have done before. That's a lot more work - and way more difficult - than to design realistic tube replacements using SS technology and requires a way different skillset.

I wager it won't happen yet again.

Tube guys won't buy them
Solid-state guys already have what they need in simpler packages
The guys who don't care don't care about such product either

technically may end up in newer SS amps
It's already in AMT products, for example. And their main ideas aren't too far off from, for example, what Peavey has been doing with their TransTube circuitry. Accurate tube emulations have been employed in solid-state amps for ages so why does anyone actually even need a tube amp today. ...even less, a tube amp with solid-state devices emulating tubes - like in solid-state amps. facepalm.gif

finally there is some company wanting to take the old Fetron to new levels!
Despite being a total fail with musical instrument amps (and total WIN in all other applications) the FETRON has likely been the most successfull of these kinds of products. Ironically, it never tried to emulate the {censored}ty performance of tubes but flat out aimed to replace them with solid-state's linearity. A recipe that was total win for precision equipment, which were probably the only wortwhile market for such devices. Today pretty much all precision equipment is already solid-state, though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by apophis View Post
i find it kind of weird...to make your tube amp react like a SS :/ ...kind of counter productive
I think it would be an interesting experiment to record and amp with tubes then record the same thing with the SS replacement tubes and see how many on here could tell which is which.

An even better experiment would be to have someone play two of the same amp, one with tubes and one with replacement tubes and then see which one reacts like a solid state amp.

It'd be amazing to hear a player say "oop, gotta be this one, it reacts 6 femtoseconds faster than the other one."

Archived