AMT developing solid state tubes 6l6 and 12ax7. Go AMT!

Travisaurus Rex

• Members

Man {censored} all this arguing. It's all hearsay until you try them out. I'd be really interested to hear them first hand. Might just pick up a set if they ever really release them.

And yeah, AMT will price them fairly I reckon. I mean, they can't keep that wah in stock. It's waaay backordered and is only 120 bucks. They could probably get 175 or 200 easy for it, but there you go. If I were to speculate, I would guess around 20 bucks per power tube, maybe around 15 for the preamp ones, give or take a little.

One thing I find interesting is that the matching and consistency could be exactly perfect with a pair of these. Would would be even cooler is if you could adjust their rating for fixed bias amps.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man {censored} all this arguing. It's all hearsay until you try them out. I'd be really interested to hear them first hand. Might just pick up a set if they ever really release them.

And yeah, AMT will price them fairly I reckon. I mean, they can't keep that wah in stock. It's waaay backordered and is only 120 bucks. They could probably get 175 or 200 easy for it, but there you go. If I were to speculate, I would guess around 20 bucks per power tube, maybe around 15 for the preamp ones, give or take a little.

One thing I find interesting is that the matching and consistency could be exactly perfect with a pair of these. Would would be even cooler is if you could adjust their rating for fixed bias amps.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by notjonahbutnoah View Post

My guess is they'll be around the same price as the Retrovalves, maybe a little less, but that remains to be seen. If they are 15 or so for preamp tubes and sound good or at least comparable, the Retrovalves venture is a wash.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by notjonahbutnoah View Post

My guess is they'll be around the same price as the Retrovalves, maybe a little less, but that remains to be seen. If they are 15 or so for preamp tubes and sound good or at least comparable, the Retrovalves venture is a wash.

• Members

FWIW, I have tried a lot of AMT pedals from the early stuff(which made me a fan) to their newer stuff. They build great sounding, high quality pedals that are more than reasonably priced. I would definitely like to hear a good comparison to the real thing. That guy Ola? should film a vid with them. It should however be a blind comparison though because some people will say they suck "just because" if they know before hand which is which.

Can anyone decipher the graphs? What do they mean if relation to real tubes?

• Members

FWIW, I have tried a lot of AMT pedals from the early stuff(which made me a fan) to their newer stuff. They build great sounding, high quality pedals that are more than reasonably priced. I would definitely like to hear a good comparison to the real thing. That guy Ola? should film a vid with them. It should however be a blind comparison though because some people will say they suck "just because" if they know before hand which is which.

Can anyone decipher the graphs? What do they mean if relation to real tubes?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf

View Post

I dont think most people could tell the difference between modeler, SS, or tube on a professional recording, or even live assuming all are pretty high quality pieces of gear...

I think you could tell a difference, but none would really be better or worse.

• Members

View Post

I dont think most people could tell the difference between modeler, SS, or tube on a professional recording, or even live assuming all are pretty high quality pieces of gear...

I think you could tell a difference, but none would really be better or worse.

• Members

View Post

Well, IME, my 5150 212 eats preamp tubes like crazy. Itd be worth it, for me, to buy a set for it because it does go through tubes fairly frequently, especially if you move the amp around in any frequency. Im not the only person thats found that, too, with this particular amp.

Yep. Fiddies eat tubes for breakfast. I'm haven't had my III long enough to tell if it's the same yet in that regard, but I hope not. It has 8 preamp tubes icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

Well, IME, my 5150 212 eats preamp tubes like crazy. Itd be worth it, for me, to buy a set for it because it does go through tubes fairly frequently, especially if you move the amp around in any frequency. Im not the only person thats found that, too, with this particular amp.

Yep. Fiddies eat tubes for breakfast. I'm haven't had my III long enough to tell if it's the same yet in that regard, but I hope not. It has 8 preamp tubes icon_lol.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Travisaurus Rex View Post
Yeah, I saw that right after SOA posted that he'd seen them on Ebay. Anyone know if AMT's "Power 220 or 110V" refers to different power supplies for different regions, or a switching power supply?

Not that I'm really looking for an amp at the moment, given that I'm most likely not far from losing my job. But it'd be nice to have a small, simple, SS alternative to lugging my rack around all the time. 5kg? My rack without anything in it weighs three times that. facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Travisaurus Rex View Post
Yeah, I saw that right after SOA posted that he'd seen them on Ebay. Anyone know if AMT's "Power 220 or 110V" refers to different power supplies for different regions, or a switching power supply?

Not that I'm really looking for an amp at the moment, given that I'm most likely not far from losing my job. But it'd be nice to have a small, simple, SS alternative to lugging my rack around all the time. 5kg? My rack without anything in it weighs three times that. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by teemuk

View Post

Accurate tube emulations have been employed in solid-state amps for ages so why does anyone actually even need a tube amp today. ...even less, a tube amp with solid-state devices emulating tubes - like in solid-state amps. facepalm.gif

I don't have a lot of money to spend on gear and would love to use SS gear exclusively if I dug them as much as my tube amps. A favorite was the Sansamp PSA-1 pre, and following that would be the Ampeg VH140C and Randall RG series. I definitely prefer all my tube amps, though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by teemuk

View Post

Accurate tube emulations have been employed in solid-state amps for ages so why does anyone actually even need a tube amp today. ...even less, a tube amp with solid-state devices emulating tubes - like in solid-state amps. facepalm.gif

I don't have a lot of money to spend on gear and would love to use SS gear exclusively if I dug them as much as my tube amps. A favorite was the Sansamp PSA-1 pre, and following that would be the Ampeg VH140C and Randall RG series. I definitely prefer all my tube amps, though.

Archived