AMT developing solid state tubes 6l6 and 12ax7. Go AMT!

Travisaurus Rex

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
Imagine the reliability of those things if they do sound like tubes. Also, you wont have to buy tubes nearly as frequently....they could potentially last as long as your amp. So many benefits. No glass lol. Id be down to try some out.
I wouldn't go crazy about reliability. SS circuits aren't real cozy about high current, power dissipation and very high voltage rails.

The thing is if they are going to push SS with tube characteristics, that would also soon eliminate the need for an OT.

I see a future of amps sounding kind of Mosvalv-ish.

Cool tech though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NinjaRaf View Post
Imagine the reliability of those things if they do sound like tubes. Also, you wont have to buy tubes nearly as frequently....they could potentially last as long as your amp. So many benefits. No glass lol. Id be down to try some out.
I wouldn't go crazy about reliability. SS circuits aren't real cozy about high current, power dissipation and very high voltage rails.

The thing is if they are going to push SS with tube characteristics, that would also soon eliminate the need for an OT.

Cool tech though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1 View Post

Cool tech though.
Agreed with all that.

• Members

Cool tech though.
Agreed with all that.

• Members

Cool tech though.
So why then are all these mega watt PA's solid state? not trying to be a dick, just curious. You'd think if solid state couldn't handle it they'd still be churning out tube PA's and 1500watt bass amps.
Still, one thing i agree on is when i max out solid state gear i tend to worry more vs running tube gear near the limits. Also, my Carvin B1200 gets hella hot when running a monster bassy tone up loud

• Members

Cool tech though.
So why then are all these mega watt PA's solid state? not trying to be a dick, just curious. You'd think if solid state couldn't handle it they'd still be churning out tube PA's and 1500watt bass amps.
Still, one thing i agree on is when i max out solid state gear i tend to worry more vs running tube gear near the limits. Also, my Carvin B1200 gets hella hot when running a monster bassy tone up loud

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vbshredder View Post
PA's require higher headroom amts and much much cleaner distortion free stages. Many bass amps, KB amps are also SS for that reason. It would add a ton of cost to cascade tube stages to achieve the same power as most rack PA's in any clean amp class config. PA's utilize complementing B+ rails at a lower voltage, very small bias, yet very high current. Guitar amp tube circuits do not work the same. They require very high voltages, bigger power supply components/filters and a lot of transformer iron. That lack of iron and heavy components are the reasons you can lift SS combos with one finger in many cases. Try that with a simple Tube amp combo.

Most guitar amps do not go for clean class type amplification. They want and actually utilize the tubes/circuit natural distortion.

If you look at those SS tubes, most of it is a heatsink. To make those 1500w, they'd be the size of a speaker. SS amps cascade output stages up until the final desired output spec. Most of the amp chassis is a heatsink.

Solid state Tubes are an entirely different ball game. It is more expensive to mfg since not many SS audio type devices run at such high voltages. So they either have to have a circuit internal to attenuate that high voltage to some spec of that solid state circuit. It's those internal parts that I would figure to fail often.

For many years, Discrete type amplifier circuits were replaced with integrated IC power stages. We used to take them apart and remove the heat sink casing and find the most often damaged part of that IC was these small limiting resistors. I assume the same fate for other integrated SS tube packages.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by vbshredder View Post
PA's require higher headroom amts and much much cleaner distortion free stages. Many bass amps, KB amps are also SS for that reason. It would add a ton of cost to cascade tube stages to achieve the same power as most rack PA's in any clean amp class config. PA's utilize complementing B+ rails at a lower voltage, very small bias, yet very high current. Guitar amp tube circuits do not work the same. They require very high voltages, bigger power supply components/filters and a lot of transformer iron. That lack of iron and heavy components are the reasons you can lift SS combos with one finger in many cases. Try that with a simple Tube amp combo.

Most guitar amps do not go for clean class type amplification. They want and actually utilize the tubes/circuit natural distortion.

If you look at those SS tubes, most of it is a heatsink. To make those 1500w, they'd be the size of a speaker. SS amps cascade output stages up until the final desired output spec. Most of the amp chassis is a heatsink.

Solid state Tubes are an entirely different ball game. It is more expensive to mfg since not many SS audio type devices run at such high voltages. So they either have to have a circuit internal to attenuate that high voltage to some spec of that solid state circuit. It's those internal parts that I would figure to fail often.

For many years, Discrete type amplifier circuits were replaced with integrated IC power stages. We used to take them apart and remove the heat sink casing and find the most often damaged part of that IC was these small limiting resistors. I assume the same fate for other integrated SS tube packages.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

AMT's new site is up.

Everything should be available early next year.

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/

These SS replacements would really open up a lot of new power amp options for me. I don't want a flat response since I am not using a modeler, and I don't want a super expensive tube power amp either. So I am stuck. I'd be able to pick up an old power amp that needs a little work for pennies, and throw these in it.

• Members

AMT's new site is up.

Everything should be available early next year.

http://eshop.amtelectronics.com/

These SS replacements would really open up a lot of new power amp options for me. I don't want a flat response since I am not using a modeler, and I don't want a super expensive tube power amp either. So I am stuck. I'd be able to pick up an old power amp that needs a little work for pennies, and throw these in it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I would love for this to become a reality. It's ridiculous that we're still using glass vacuum tubes for our amplifiers.

I'll always be loyal to actual tubes. I love to know that my guitar signals is shot across the vacuum of space.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisjd

View Post

I would love for this to become a reality. It's ridiculous that we're still using glass vacuum tubes for our amplifiers.

I'll always be loyal to actual tubes. I love to know that my guitar signals is shot across the vacuum of space.

Archived