AMT developing solid state tubes 6l6 and 12ax7. Go AMT!

Travisaurus Rex

• Members

So they should basically hand them out for free... why?

People pay considerable sums of money for tube replacements, whether they are a neccessity or just a result of joys of swapping things around. Folks immediately taking the bias that solid-state "special tubes" should cost less or only the price of any other generic tube is just one symptom of the underlying attitude that ensures these products always fail in the markets.

It's a niche product, expect to pay accordingly. They surely won't sell a lot of these for starters, yet the investors are probably expecting them to generate some profit. Low volume of sales with low revenue will ensure such products are withdrawn from production in an eyeblink.

Bottom line...for this idea to have any success at all, the important factor is that people must be convinced that they really need such product. Kinda like a huge mass is convinced that they need to have tubes in their amps. Then they'll pay almost any price. Sound has rarely ever been an issue. For all it's worth, looks always seem to pay a more important role. I sure can't recall much on topic commentary about tone of Retrovalves or Wattgrinders for instance...

Much better looking than retrovalves. It's kind of silly, but that means a lot.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

I agree to a point but I think a lot of folks' issue with them, like mine, is probably pricing.

Because if I'd have to buy 2-3 tubes to make up for the cost difference of one of these tube replacements, I'd rather just buy the tubes. I so rarely change tubes, and honestly most folks are probably the same way: they get replaced when they fail, or are showing signs of potentially failing. The only real market they have at their current pricing is for musicians who are on the road all year long.

If their pricing was comparable to the actual tube they replace, I'd think a lot harder about it.

AMT has always amazed me with how affordable their products are especially considering the high quality. I'd bet these SS toobs will be very fairly priced.

I will be buying at least one AMT preamp tube if/when they are released smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by pioneerprogress

View Post

I agree to a point but I think a lot of folks' issue with them, like mine, is probably pricing.

Because if I'd have to buy 2-3 tubes to make up for the cost difference of one of these tube replacements, I'd rather just buy the tubes. I so rarely change tubes, and honestly most folks are probably the same way: they get replaced when they fail, or are showing signs of potentially failing. The only real market they have at their current pricing is for musicians who are on the road all year long.

If their pricing was comparable to the actual tube they replace, I'd think a lot harder about it.

AMT has always amazed me with how affordable their products are especially considering the high quality. I'd bet these SS toobs will be very fairly priced.

I will be buying at least one AMT preamp tube if/when they are released smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by teemuk

View Post

People pay considerable sums of money for tube replacements, whether they are a neccessity or just a result of joys of swapping things around. Folks immediately taking the bias that solid-state "special tubes" should cost less or only the price of any other generic tube is just one symptom of the underlying attitude that ensures these products always fail in the markets.

It's a niche product, expect to pay accordingly. They surely won't sell a lot of these for starters, yet the investors are probably expecting them to generate some profit. Low volume of sales with low revenue will ensure such products are withdrawn from production in an eyeblink.

Bottom line...for this idea to have any success at all, the important factor is that people must be convinced that they really need such product. Kinda like a huge mass is convinced that they need to have tubes in their amps. Then they'll pay almost any price. Sound has rarely ever been an issue. For all it's worth, looks always seem to pay a more important role. I sure can't recall much on topic commentary about tone of Retrovalves or Wattgrinders for instance...

Dude, everything that ever comes out of your mouth is highly biased against tube circuits and if I am not mistaken you are a mod at a SS forum, your post are borderline insane.

Sound is not an issue? facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by teemuk

View Post

Dude, everything that ever comes out of your mouth is highly biased against tube circuits and if I am not mistaken you are a mod at a SS forum, your post are borderline insane.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

No {censored}, I used to think teemuk was a great poster because the dude has a vast knowledge of old and obscure amps, but damn lately it's like he {censored}ing hates EVERYTHING. Seriously teemuk, what DO you consider good guitar gear??

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

No {censored}, I used to think teemuk was a great poster because the dude has a vast knowledge of old and obscure amps, but damn lately it's like he {censored}ing hates EVERYTHING. Seriously teemuk, what DO you consider good guitar gear??

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

Only fuzzy, carpet covered Randall's, cuz Dimebag said so. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but obviously they are SS and they give teemuk reacharounds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

Only fuzzy, carpet covered Randall's, cuz Dimebag said so. Not that there is anything wrong with them, but obviously they are SS and they give teemuk reacharounds.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post

except for a few i cant remember who posts what day to day facepalm.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact View Post

except for a few i cant remember who posts what day to day facepalm.gif

Archived