Extremely frustrated with recording and programing drums.

Chrisjd

• Members

A wave of frustration hit me last night as i was trying to get drums either through loops or by using the built in software keyboard in my daw.

I don't know where you people learn to play drums, but i have no drum training, and i don't have a damn clue on how to program drums in my daw. I CAN'T PLAY DRUMS. i have so much guitar work and ideas i want to capture and add drums to, but i am completely limited in doing so.

is there any advice anybody would like to share with me?

• Members

I have the opposite problem. I actually can play drums, but when it comes down to entering {censored} on a piano roll it's tedious as hell. I even bought a little yamaha digital drum thing to try and capture my hits through midi, but the {censored} never tracks perfectly and quantizing never {censored}ing works for me in Sonar X1.

Maybe I should try it with Cubase. X1 has been pissing me off for a while.

Easiest way would be to try and find basic midi drum beats, drop them in your DAW, tweak them to your desired result and process them with Slate, EZ, etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by peavey_impact

View Post

Easiest way would be to try and find basic midi drum beats, drop them in your DAW, tweak them to your desired result and process them with Slate, EZ, etc.

This is what I do, and pretty much the only way I can get anything accomplished when it comes to drums and recording. Tweaking the piano roll isn't so bad if you have some decent loops to work from.

• Members

I have been watching Derek Roddy DVDs and checking out the On The Beaten Path: Metal drum book, and trying to apply that to my drum programming via my MIDI pad. It is slowly but surely coming along, but I think I might just program everything into Guitar Pro and export the drum tracks as MIDI, as it that is starting to look like a less stressful route. Knowing your theory as far as time signatures and note/rest values are concerned definitely helps.

• Members

I had the same problem. After years of trying drum machines, loops, etc I ended up buying a small drum kit and one drum mic. Now I record each drum individually on separate tracks. Made a huge difference in my recording and songwriting.

• Members

I suck at drums. Program them in guitar pro or tabit then export the midi file. Thats how I roll. Also, my best friend is a sick {censored}ing drummer, and he gave me some tips on drumming that I have no idea how to explain in words, but I can at least make somewhat decent drums now. If I have problems, I just send him a guitar tab and he sends it back to me with drums lol.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lz4005

View Post

I had the same problem. After years of trying drum machines, loops, etc I ended up buying a small drum kit and one drum mic. Now I record each drum individually on separate tracks. Made a huge difference in my recording and songwriting.

Wait. Really?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by lz4005

View Post

I went the opposite direction. Got tired of mic-ing up my kit and trying to get everything to sound the way I wanted and perfecting every take. I'd rather program that way I can change the sound and hits without having to redo the whole song.

• Members

I've turned to grooves, and just edit them in the piano roll. Just make sure teh grooves you purchase are the same tempo of the tracks you want to enter.

I actually wrote a song for a drum part for the first time. This is how it turned out:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/piggy-voivod-tribute

I chose some drum grooves that sounded Voivody, and then jammed over it until I got something that fitted.

I almost always come up with riffs first.

• Members

Man I am a mediocre drummer at best but I play well enough and understand the mechanics enough that I program decent beats. I also use some of the GrooveMonkee stuff and edit it. ALL the drums on my Cherry 2000 reverberation/Facebook page are done this way except the song "Same Ol' Same Ol'"

Am I amazing, no but the average music listener has no idea a real drummer didn't play those tracks and our drummer plays it well enough live that no one is the wiser.

It also was very intimidating/frustrating for a long time, then it clicked.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by poolshark View Post
Wait. Really?
Yeah. My real issue was that I had very specific drum patterns in my head and couldn't reproduce them with anything but real drums.
Maybe more accurate to say I didn't have the patience to learn how to do them digitally.

• Members

I always do it in the Piano roll. Make one measure of each beat that is in the song, copy/paste them into the right order, then tweak individual measures as the song requires. Throw the grid on your DAWs piano roll if you are having issues getting timing right, or just quantize the thing after you have made the basic beat...

• Members

Yeah. My real issue was that I had very specific drum patterns in my head and couldn't reproduce them with anything but real drums.

Maybe more accurate to say I didn't have the patience to learn how to do them digitally.

That sounds ... time consuming. Cool.

Archived