OT: Gun control...

KCTigerChief

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by syscrusher

View Post

For another adult we may have never known, I can see your point of view as we can be jaded as we get older. When it comes to children, that's just sick dude.

killers were kids at one point too. i have no capacity for sympathy or empathy, it just doesn't exist in me. and any time i do show it, it's feigned.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jlb32

View Post

You are comparing a country with less than 8 million people with a country that has more than 300 million.

I would hope the crime rate in a country with less than 8 million is a fraction of the USA. Also most people living in Switzerland are relatively well off financially. They don't have the amount of social problems, urban deprivation, drug issues, etc... large industrialised countries have.

The USA averages around 90 guns per 100 people, the highest per capita in the world. Switzerland is 3rd per capita.

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

killers were kids at one point too. i have no capacity for sympathy or empathy, it just doesn't exist in me. and any time i do show it, it's feigned.

icon_lol.gif Well, that's another point. WTF happened to that kid? Were the parents {censored}ing idiots? I think we are seeing the symptom that's be going on for generations. {censored} up a kid mentally in some way, how do we expect him to be as an adult and possibly raising kids as an adult?

That's why I have empathy for kids as they didn't choose to be in this {censored} up world we created.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend179

View Post

DING DING DING, we have a winner. My grandpa taught me just what a gun did before I ever touched one. He took me out back and shot one of our pigs (a sick and dying one, mind you) in the forehead with his shotgun. "That's what guns do." He told me. That lesson stuck with me pretty well.

A buddy of mine did the same/similar thing. His son won't go near guns.

As for gun control...I don't care for it. What I DO care for is gun education. Make people take gun safety courses just like they do a driver's test. People need to know what guns do.

• Members

View Post

i have no capacity for sympathy or empathy, it just doesn't exist in me. and any time i do show it, it's feigned.

View Post

i empathize with the mentally ill as i am one of them and understand what drives someone to do these things.

wat

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

Simple. I've got a five-year-old daughter. Twenty children died. It hit me emotionally, just as the Beslan massacre did.

I can empathize with a parent feeling bad about what happened because they have a fear of that happening to their own kids. But:

Oh, and, by the way, I suffer from major depressive disorder so, yes, many of these news stories do make me emotionally distraught and sad. Goes with the illness.

If you acknowledge that you have an emotional and/or mental illness that causes you to react more severely to events, then you shouldn't tell people they are sociopaths when they don't have an emotional reaction similar to your own.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

I can empathize with a parent feeling bad about what happened because they have a fear of that happening to their own kids. But:

If you acknowledge that you have an emotional and/or mental illness that causes you to react more severely to events, then you shouldn't tell people they are sociopaths when they don't have an emotional reaction similar to your own.

Fair enough. I was trying to make a lame joke, not knowing he has a mental illness. I thought he was throwing out some tough guy bull{censored}. Apologies all 'round.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SexWithRobots

View Post

What other piece of equipment allows you to walk into a building and assassinate potentially hundreds of people in a matter of minutes besides a bomb? Yes it is a little bit about guns and not just the people using them. Guns have a unique quality about them.

Comparing that to a pencil is foolish.

a matchbook?

• Members

I put this in the other thread, but

Something to think about, bros: the generally accepted figure states that here in the west, roughly 1% of the population can be defined as at least "potentially psychopathic" if not definitively psychopathic. That translates to roughly 3,110,500 people here in the United States.

Even if we assume that every incarcerated person in the US falls into this category (which is most certainly not true), that still leaves over ONE MILLION PEOPLE who can be defined as "psychotic". Mental health is a very serious problem, much more so than our love of guns.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

And you need a person to use a pencil...Glad you're finally starting to understand.

If that person misspells a word, it's not the pencils fault...

If a person shoots someone else, it's not the guns fault...

HOLY {censored} LOGIC HOW DOES IT WORK!!!

facepalm.gif

Dude, seriously? The pot calling the kettle black. A gun is a MURDERWEAPON!!! A pencil is a tool used to write words on a piece of paper. Comparing these in your analogy is just stupid.

Who would you be more scared of, a psychopath running at you with a pencil pointed at you, or a psychopath with a gun pointed at you?

Analogies, how do they work?

• Members

As a follow-up, my grandfather worked as an aid in Creedmoor State Hospital in Bayshore (Long Island, NY) in the early 60s for several years.

He recalls that during this time, the homeless population (just as an example) was near nonexistent on most of long island and the city of New York. However, due to newer medications and federal budget restraints, deinstitutionalization began in the 1960s in a very big way and accelerated into the 1980s, nearly emptying state-run psychiatric wards.

Most of these people were NOT well adjusted and were all but thrown out onto the street. And that's where they pretty much stayed. In the late 60s, the homeless population in middle island all but exploded and none of these people were fit to see to their own psychiatric care let alone have the wherewithal to be responsible for self medicating.

Since then, we've pretty much looked at mental health as a crapshoot. As a "catch it when you can" kind of thing. Granted there was a lot of abuse with "committing" friends and family members. {censored}, at one time in this country if you were gay you could be confined to a mental hospital. Still many of those people (as Pop recalls) were amiable enough, even responsible when they always got the proper medication at the proper times and were supervised to make sure they took it. You can't do that when you put them out on the street.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Michael AE

View Post

Dude, seriously? The pot calling the kettle black. A gun is a MURDERWEAPON!!! A pencil is a tool used to write words on a piece of paper. Comparing these in your analogy is just stupid.

Who would you be more scared of, a psychopath running at you with a pencil pointed at you, or a psychopath with a gun pointed at you?

The point...you COMPLETELY missed it. ZOOM right over your head...

Wow...

freak.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

The point...you COMPLETELY missed it. ZOOM right over your head...

Wow...

freak.gif

NO. Your point doesn't make sense. Yes, a gun won't shoot without some asshole holding it. Can't blame the gun for killing people, right? Well, but we CAN blame the gun for being A DEADLY WEAPON, which PSYCHOPATHS SHOULDN'T HAVE ACCESS TO WHATSOEVER. That's the point people are making against your analogy. That's also the exact reason why it doesn't make any sense.

• Members

View Post

NO. Your point doesn't make sense. Yes, a gun won't shoot without some asshole holding it. Can't blame the gun for killing people, right? Well, but we CAN blame the gun for being A DEADLY WEAPON, which PSYCHOPATHS SHOULDN'T HAVE ACCESS TO WHATSOEVER. That's the point people are making against your analogy. That's also the exact reason why it doesn't make any sense.

So a pencil being a writing utinsil, idiots shouldn't have access to them whatsoever...gotcha...

• Members

View Post

Technically a gun is a platform for containing a small explosion that is used to power a lump of metal in a certain direction. Whether you chose to point it at a empty soda can or a person is at the discretion of the person holding the tool. You could also make the argument that guns are used to feed people which isnt exactly a satanic thing.

Also it depends on what the intentions of the person holding the gun and the pencil are. Im less worried about a guy just pointing a gun at me than someone running and attempting to stab me with a pencil.

People have killed one another over the written word without any guns, if there is one thing that mankind has shown an affinity for it is killing one another even if its just with a rock.

I live in an area that probably has 500 guns per 100 people and i believe the last time there was a shooting was something like 15 years ago, statistics mean nothing to the individual but guns are still not able to think for themselves and attack when you least expect it.

Archived