OT: Gun control...

KCTigerChief

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

methods for downloading are changing constantly. now we're using magnet links instead of downloading a .torrent, it will be impossible to track because we are going to keep one step ahead.

And how are you going to run said torrented blueprint on the printer when it's checking against a database of gun blueprints?

Now I'm not naive enough to think it won't be defeated in some capacity, but I think it will be so complicated and difficult to do that your average crackhead who is going to rob someone in the street for drug money (and lets face it, that's who you gun folks are so afraid of) will not be intelligent enough to do it.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by madrigal77

View Post

And how are you going to run said torrented blueprint on the printer when it's checking against a database of gun blueprints?

Now I'm not naive enough to think it won't be defeated in some capacity, but I think it will be so complicated and difficult to do that your average crackhead who is going to rob someone in the street for drug money (and lets face it, that's who you gun folks are so afraid of) will not be intelligent enough to do it.

LMMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by uppercasenoises

View Post

In the end it won't matter anyways, because there will be millions of gun owners who will ignore the law on purpose, assuming it gets to the point where guns are banned/severely restricted.

The DEA is getting their asses handed to them on a daily basis because millions of people are ignoring Federal law and consuming/possessing marijuana. Gun owners will do the same too.

That being said, the government has proven time and time again that they are completely incapable of stopping people from downloading what they want, regardless of how strict the laws are.

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think all guns would be turned in. But a lot of them would. And that would mean a lot less guns on the streets. It's like marijuana. Yes, it's really common and easy to find. But it would be much more so if you could buy it at every store that sells cigarettes.

• Members

View Post

I don't think anyone is stupid enough to think all guns would be turned in. But a lot of them would. And that would mean a lot less guns on the streets. It's like marijuana. Yes, it's really common and easy to find. But it would be much more so if you could buy it at every store that sells cigarettes.

What is your definition of "a lot"?

If 100,000 guns are turned in, that's a lot, but when there's at least 250,000,000 guns in circulation, it's not really that much.

Buyback programs would only be effective in the ghettos. If you were to try it in a typical small town, most people wouldn't give them up. Even in the ghettos, the type of guns that are generally obtained from these programs are old bolt action rifles and antiques (old revolvers, shotguns, etc)...not the scary looking AR-15's or modern high capacity handguns. Sometimes they might get a Glock or "assault weapon", but it's not that common.

• Members

View Post

First off LO9OLLLL at your printer phoning home thing. That was funny.

Next, here's the issue with this statement. My guns aren't on the street. They never were on the street. They'll never be on the street. Therefore, if I turned my gun in there is no change to the guns on the street. This goes for an overwhelming majority of people. The guns "on the street" will stay there. Also, while it may not be as easy as going to the corner store to get weed... it's pretty damn close. Biggest difference is there is a premium price paid for it and you fund shady characters etc instead of people receiving a taxable income.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

for those worried about torrenting 3d printer files, you can buy a 3d scanner and do it all in house! thumb.gif

guns aside, i like 3d printing.

I do too! I finally learned something from one of these threads. It ruined any hope I had at making a point but damn if additive printing isn't a neat concept.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

for those worried about torrenting 3d printer files, you can buy a 3d scanner and do it all in house! thumb.gif

guns aside, i like 3d printing.

I do too! I finally learned something from one of these threads. It ruined any hope I had at making a point but damn if additive printing isn't a neat concept.

• Members

Crisis you're a tool. Nothing left to say about it. I especially like the part where you mention "the point is people will have to be willing to break the law." Isn't that this whole {censored}ing thing? It's why murders will always happen and why gun crimes will happen. There are people willing to break every law there is. So let's create new ones. Maybe these will be the set that finally stops them. thumb.gif {censored}ing idiot.

• Members

But this thread is about gun control Not violence control.

No, this thread is about gun-related homicides (violence) which was created in the wake of Sandy Hook. Violence is the entire point of this thread. "Gun Control" may be the title, but the context is gun control in relation to reducing violence.

Limiting the amount of available guns is one way.

It is a possible way, but not a very effective way.

But again

• Members

I have a question about this 3D printing stuff. Does anyone know the details of it's limitations? Feel free to correct me on this, but all of the 3D printers I've seen seem to print some sort of plastic material. Now, while a lot of modern firearms are made mostly of said "plastic", the components used to actually make it work are usually some sort of very hard steel. Can these printers print steel? How does that work? Aren't most gun barrels cold forged? How would it do that? Also, if a printer had the capability to deal with such tough materials I'd imagine it would be VERY expensive. Certainly too expensive for someone on the street to get a hold of. Anyway, am I off base here? Or does it seem like the common person being able to print a working firearm is so far off that it should've even be an issue?

Again, I'm not an expert on 3D printing, so let me know if what I mentioned is even possible for common folk, all things considered (technology, price, size of the machine, materials, processes, etc)

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er2

View Post

First off LO9OLLLL at your printer phoning home thing. That was funny.

Next, here's the issue with this statement. My guns aren't on the street. They never were on the street. They'll never be on the street. Therefore, if I turned my gun in there is no change to the guns on the street. This goes for an overwhelming majority of people. The guns "on the street" will stay there. Also, while it may not be as easy as going to the corner store to get weed... it's pretty damn close. Biggest difference is there is a premium price paid for it and you fund shady characters etc instead of people receiving a taxable income.

About the printer phoning home, there are already games that you have to be connected to the internet to be able to run. They could come up with something like that for the printer. And I'm not saying my ideas are the ones that would work. I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm sure people that are much smarter than me will come up with better solutions.

I'm well aware of how easy it is to crack stuff. I mean, pretty much everything I own is cracked/jailbroken: PS3, Xbox, iPhone, DS, ect... I just think all attempts so far to stop piracy have been mostly half assed because they know it's not really hurting anyone and it's just a digital copy. It's basically nothing. But when people start copying actual physical goods and GUNS, they are going to really fight hard against it.

As far as your guns on the street argument, how do you think they got there? They started out as legal guns. I mean, AFAIK, for the most part, these guns weren't made in shady, backroom smelteries by a guy with an eyepatch. They were made by big companies and sold legally and eventually ended up on the streets.

• Members

View Post

About the printer phoning home, there are already games that you have to be connected to the internet to be able to run. They could come up with something like that for the printer. And I'm not saying my ideas are the ones that would work. I'm just throwing stuff out there. I'm sure people that are much smarter than me will come up with better solutions.

I'm well aware of how easy it is to crack stuff. I mean, pretty much everything I own is cracked/jailbroken: PS3, Xbox, iPhone, DS, ect... I just think all attempts so far to stop piracy have been mostly half assed because they know it's not really hurting anyone and it's just a digital copy. It's basically nothing. But when people start copying actual physical goods and GUNS, they are going to really fight hard against it.

As far as your guns on the street argument, how do you think they got there? They started out as legal guns. I mean, AFAIK, for the most part, these guns weren't made in shady, backroom smelteries by a guy with an eyepatch. They were made by big companies and sold legally and eventually ended up on the streets.

Most of the guns in circulation which are being passed around and used in crimes are {censored} guns like Jennings, Lorcin, and Hi-Point. They're $200 or so new, and they can be had from pawn shops and less reputable gun shops. These aren't the type of guns serious shooters and sportsmen buy anyway. They're guns which are essentially purpose built for criminals.

Despite what you see in TV shows and movies, most of what you see on the streets are {censored}ty old used guns or really cheap crappy guns.

Sure, they started out as "legal" purchases, but often times some banger will just have his girlfriend buy one for him or whatever. It's not hard to get a gun, which is a problem, but a bigger problem is the root of the crime which forces people to use guns to settle their issues, which is the illegal drug trade. If there were legal recourse available to people they probably wouldn't shoot each other. As it is you can't exactly call the cops if your stash gets ripped off, or the guys down the street take over all your prime real estate to sell their product.

Until the people who advocate "gun control" acknowledge that it's bigger than simply "guns" we're not going to get anywhere.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by madryan

View Post

Most of the guns in circulation which are being passed around and used in crimes are {censored} guns like Jennings, Lorcin, and Hi-Point. They're $200 or so new, and they can be had from pawn shops and less reputable gun shops. These aren't the type of guns serious shooters and sportsmen buy anyway. They're guns which are essentially purpose built for criminals.

Despite what you see in TV shows and movies, most of what you see on the streets are {censored}ty old used guns or really cheap crappy guns.

Sure, they started out as "legal" purchases, but often times some banger will just have his girlfriend buy one for him or whatever. It's not hard to get a gun, which is a problem, but a bigger problem is the root of the crime which forces people to use guns to settle their issues, which is the illegal drug trade. If there were legal recourse available to people they probably wouldn't shoot each other. As it is you can't exactly call the cops if your stash gets ripped off, or the guys down the street take over all your prime real estate to sell their product.

Until the people who advocate "gun control" acknowledge that it's bigger than simply "guns" we're not going to get anywhere.

I think this is a very good post (sorry madryan, your hcaf cred just went in the {censored}ter smile.gif )

But the opposite is also true. People that want to ban or tightly control guns need to realize that this is a social issue as well....just as you pointed out. IIRC, Montana has one of the highest per capita gun ownership in the nation....yet one of the fewest gun-related deaths. Why is that? Because they are just raising cattle and not doing drugs? Very few heavily populated areas and therefor less beautiful human interaction? I dunno.

But this problem needs attended to on all fronts. Strict gun control/ban is not going to do it. And I believe most people would agree, it's just the actual ACTION of it that needs done.

Archived