OT: Gun control...

KCTigerChief

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Touche, that's what I get for copy and pasting from facebook smile.gif Thanks for the correction dude. thumb.gif

Still though, the situation is terrible...And this is going to be a HOT topic in the coming months...

I was just a bit confused reading 40 being 7% of 50 000 000. icon_lol.gif

I think it would be more interesting (though likely more difficult to find the stats) to cut out the gang-related murders from those numbers since that's going to happen everywhere regardless. As an example, I don't recall the last time I heard of a non-gang-related murder involving guns in Toronto, but there seem to be semi-frequent gang-related murders involving guns (this isn't to say that it doesn't happen). I feel it would be more telling of a country's populace to see how many of these murders involve "normal" people.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by no.mop

View Post

I was just a bit confused reading 40 being 7% of 50 000 000. icon_lol.gif

I think it would be more interesting (though likely more difficult to find the stats) to cut out the gang-related murders from those numbers since that's going to happen everywhere regardless. As an example, I don't recall the last time I heard of a non-gang-related murder involving guns in Toronto, but there seem to be semi-frequent gang-related murders involving guns (this isn't to say that it doesn't happen). I feel it would be more telling of a country's populace to see how many of these murders involve "normal" people.

Well to be fair, I feel like anyone who murders another human being in cold blood is not "normal"...But then again, I'm not psychiatrist either icon_lol.gif But you're right, those stats would be a bitch to dig up for sure.

As for the numbers, I didn't even think to work them out myself facepalm.gif Oh well, glad you did, and I do appreciate the fix man! wave.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

Agreed...

Might as well blame the spoon for obsesity

Pencil for mispelled words

Car for drunk driving

The list goes on and on...Double standards, and such.

What other piece of equipment allows you to walk into a building and assassinate potentially hundreds of people in a matter of minutes besides a bomb? Yes it is a little bit about guns and not just the people using them. Guns have a unique quality about them.

Comparing that to a pencil is foolish.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SexWithRobots

View Post

What other piece of equipment allows you to walk into a building and assassinate potentially hundreds of people in a matter of minutes besides a bomb? Yes it is a little bit about guns and not just the people using them. Guns have a unique quality about them.

Comparing that to a pencil is foolish.

Actually, I'm not comparing a gun to a pencil at all.

I'm comparing the act of shooting someone with the tool at fault being a gun, to the act of misspelling a word with the tool at fault being a pencil...

When REALLY, the common denominator is the USER of said tool...

If you really can't understand that, then.....Back to grade school you should go I suppose...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SexWithRobots

View Post

So your stating you need a person to make a gun work. Riveting revelation.

And you need a person to use a pencil...Glad you're finally starting to understand.

If that person misspells a word, it's not the pencils fault...

If a person shoots someone else, it's not the guns fault...

HOLY {censored} LOGIC HOW DOES IT WORK!!!

facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jlb32

View Post

You are comparing a country with less than 8 million people with a country that has more than 300 million.

I would hope the crime rate in a country with less than 8 million is a fraction of the USA. Also most people living in Switzerland are relatively well off financially. They don't have the amount of social problems, urban deprivation, drug issues, etc... large industrialised countries have.

The USA averages around 90 guns per 100 people, the highest per capita in the world. Switzerland is 3rd per capita.

Why do you think that a large population should have a much larger murder rate than a small one?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo

View Post

way to generalize.

my apathy is attributed to a mental disorder.

Your complete lack of empathy is disturbing.

Just curious -- according to your reasoning, people should never have mourned the death of Lincoln or Kennedy because they'd never met them.

We should never mourn the death of any soldiers because we've never met them or looked them in the eye. That's what you're saying, right?

• Members

View Post

we don't have a gun control issue in america, we have a mental health issue.

the issue is it gets swept under the rug until something happens, then the red herring get dragged out in front of it so it can get swept back under the rug.

truth.

mental health treatment is appallingly underfunded in the US. we have ZERO problem paying tens of thousands of dollars imprisoning someone for possession/distribution of marijuana, but we just can't see the value in treating the mentally ill.

so much fail.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Rear Naked

View Post

Nelo is {censored}ed in the head.

yeah, i already said that. you know, the post on this page where i said my apathy is attributed to a mental disorder? yeah, i have a mental disorder which also comes bundled with a few others. i am the most misanthropic mother{censored}er in the world, and i know i'm {censored}ed. that's why i choose not to own weapons. i know what i am capable of.

• Members

View Post

Why do you think that a large population should have a much larger murder rate than a small one?

It's not always the case but Switzerland is not a good comparison with the USA or most other countries IMO. There small population is overall fairly wealthy with very little urban deprivation, drug issues and other social issues that are usually related to increased gun crime in larger industrialised nations. Switzerland is one of the wealthest countries in the world per capita and that IMO has way more effect on their low crime rate than anything else.

• Members

View Post

It's not always the case but Switzerland is not a good comparison with the USA or most other countries IMO. There small population is overall fairly wealthy with very little urban deprivation, drug issues and other social issues that are usually related to increased gun crime in larger industrialised nations. Switzerland is one of the wealthest countries in the world per capita and that IMO has way more effect on their low crime rate than anything else.

Yeah but those reasons were secondary to your first point, which was that you would expect the crime rate to be lower in a smaller population. Did I misunderstand?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

That's a sign of a sociopath.

Not really. People die all the time. Someone probably got murdered somewhere in the world as I type this. Should I "mourn" that person? I feel nothing for that now murdered person nobody's ever heard about. Because I didn't know that person. And neither did you. It's sad that people kill people. But I'm not compelled to "mourn" them. If it were someone I knew, then it would be different. Because there's an emotional connection there. I'm not emotionally distraught over what happened in CT. But I can certainly empathize with the people who are. That's the difference. When you use a word like "mourn" you invite criticism. Which leads us to:

Quote Originally Posted by Axe_34

View Post

Your complete lack of empathy is disturbing.

Just curious -- according to your reasoning, people should never have mourned the death of Lincoln or Kennedy because they'd never met them.

We should never mourn the death of any soldiers because we've never met them or looked them in the eye. That's what you're saying, right?

People get murdered every day. Every hour. Every minute. Do you "mourn" them? Do you get emotionally distraught over them? Do you feel sad for them? Probably not. Just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you feel so much worse about what happened in CT than about what happens to children all over the globe every day? Because the media glorifies it? Because now you've been forced to acknowledge it? Why aren't you mourning for the gas station cashier that got shot in Miami last week? If the media glorified that shooting, would you be on the internet championing for that person? Probably not.

My point is, "mourn" is the wrong choice of words. And it's not sociopathic to not feel emotionally distraught over what happened. That's not a sign of sociopathy. Apathy and empathy are more complicated than that.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2

View Post

Not really. People die all the time. Someone probably got murdered somewhere in the world as I type this. Should I "mourn" that person? I feel nothing for that now murdered person nobody's ever heard about. Because I didn't know that person. And neither did you. It's sad that people kill people. But I'm not compelled to "mourn" them. If it were someone I knew, then it would be different. Because there's an emotional connection there. I'm not emotionally distraught over what happened in CT. But I can certainly empathize with the people who are. That's the difference. When you use a word like "mourn" you invite criticism. Which leads us to:

People get murdered every day. Every hour. Every minute. Do you "mourn" them? Do you get emotionally distraught over them? Do you feel sad for them? Probably not. Just playing devil's advocate here, but why do you feel so much worse about what happened in CT than about what happens to children all over the globe every day? Because the media glorifies it? Because now you've been forced to acknowledge it? Why aren't you mourning for the gas station cashier that got shot in Miami last week? If the media glorified that shooting, would you be on the internet myopically championing for that person? Probably not.

My point is, "mourn" is the wrong choice of words. And it's not sociopathic to not feel emotionally distraught over what happened. That's not a sign of sociopathy. Apathy and empathy are more complicated than that.

Simple. I've got a five-year-old daughter. Twenty children died. It hit me emotionally, just as the Beslan massacre did.

Oh, and, by the way, I suffer from major depressive disorder so, yes, many of these news stories do make me emotionally distraught and sad. Goes with the illness.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by knucklefux

View Post

truth.

mental health treatment is appallingly underfunded in the US. we have ZERO problem paying tens of thousands of dollars imprisoning someone for possession/distribution of marijuana, but we just can't see the value in treating the mentally ill.

so much fail.

I would rather spend tens of thousands of dollars imprisioning the mentally ill.

What does that make me?

• Members

View Post

Yeah but those reasons were secondary to your first point, which was that you would expect the crime rate to be lower in a smaller population. Did I misunderstand?

I guess so. It was in respose to Switzerland. Of course there are much smaller populations than the USA that have unimaginable crime rates due to their horrible poverty issues, drug issues, etc.. Something Switzerland has very little of. Like I said IMO Switzerlands wealth and stability per capita has more to do with their low crime rate than anything else.

Where I live in the USA pretty much every household has multiple guns. There hasn't been a gun related death in over 2 years. I think there were a few gun related injuries this year.

• Members

View Post

You are comparing a country with less than 8 million people with a country that has more than 300 million.

I would hope the crime rate in a country with less than 8 million is a fraction of the USA. Also most people living in Switzerland are relatively well off financially. They don't have the amount of social problems, urban deprivation, drug issues, etc... large industrialised countries have.

The USA averages around 90 guns per 100 people, the highest per capita in the world. Switzerland is 3rd per capita.

Ratios and percentages. How do they work?

View Post

i'm real. i don't see how anyone can mourn over someone they never even spoke too, let alone even made eye contact with.

For another adult we may have never known, I can see your point of view as we can be jaded as we get older. When it comes to children, that's just sick dude.

Archived