Anyone been on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum?

Andrewrg

• Members

The main characteristics are the eveness of the grain, silking, tightness of grain. Bear-claw is lower down on the checklist.

My D41 has a little bit o' bear-claw.

I happen to prefer bear-claw. Have you seen the Andy Griffith D-18? Those mothers have so much bear-claw they look like "Quilted Spruce" ! ;)

At one point in time, bear-claw was not a desired characteristic. I think it's lovely.

• Members

- If You like bearclaws in your finish, get a Taylor 110 ,210 or 214, you have to check thru them carefully to find a guitar without bearclaws. I thik they are ugly.

Larrivee has a model called a Bearclaw finish, not as noticable when covered by a nice glossy finish.

The Blueridge BR-160 that I recently played had a nice tight grain and the aging toner was neat, but the tone and playablity blew away lo end Taylors and Martins.

Jim

• Members
Originally posted by Chirpy_72

The main characteristics are the eveness of the grain, silking, tightness of grain. Bear-claw is lower down on the checklist.

My D41 has a little bit o' bear-claw.

I happen to prefer bear-claw. Have you seen the Andy Griffith D-18? Those mothers have so much bear-claw they look like "Quilted Spruce" !
;)

At one point in time, bear-claw was not a desired characteristic. I think it's lovely.

Realy? did'nt we have a thread going awhile back that praised the bene's of bearclaw?..Mabey I'm dreaming..Come to think of it, I might've started the thread..Ah, forgetfulness is a sign of genius (sp?)

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

I think CFM aught to start a new line of git's: The 17-1/2 series; Guitars that sound like they cost $3000, but cheap enough that "musicians" can afford them...Can't tell you how many times I've met guys with ultra-expensive guitars who
SUCK

Amen.

Personally, I think they ought to all chip in and buy CFM a Larrivee 03 model.

Here's what pisses me off about Martin. While I've loved the feel of every one of their guitars I've ever touched, I invariably find that within my price range - which is too depressing to bear specificity - I have to sacrifice too many qualitative details to justify the purchase. I figure if Larrivee can offer all solid wood, made-in-North-America construction and a dovetail neck joint for under a grand (I don't give a damn for bells and whistles), so can Martin. But they choose not to. So I say f*ck 'em... Well, at least, f*ck 'em until I can afford a D18V...

I know a hell of a lot of people who play guitar, and most of them can't afford a pack of cigarettes. I know a handful of people who have enough money to buy an HD28V, and none of them can play the guitar. Kind of an irritating balance.

• Members
Originally posted by knockwood

Amen.

Personally, I think they ought to all chip in and buy CFM a Larrivee 03 model.

I know a hell of a lot of people who play guitar, and most of them can't afford a pack of cigarettes. I know a handful of people who have enough money to buy an HD28V, and none of them can play the guitar. Kind of an irritating balance.

I'm glad somebody els said that..

-JT

• Members

Really? I'm pretty familiar with the Larrivee line, but I have not come across this model. Care to share some details?

Originally posted by guit30

-

Larrivee has a model called a Bearclaw finish, not as noticable when covered by a nice glossy finish.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by Andrewrg

I ruffled some feathers over at UMGF! I was only defending a guy over some unjustified rudeness and you really need to check out some of the responses! Its the"I couldnt beleve"thread.

Dude... I find it such a bizarre thing, this human tendency to want to be in these little clubs... and then to react like a savage pack against any perceived affront... They are, after all, talking about mere freaking guitars.

• Members

A Martin a"mere"guitar? These guys hold them up as the next best thing to the second coming!
:D

Understood. I love my 000-C16. But I was blown away by a Collins auditorium I played. I did not like my D18 near as much, though. (Great for rhythm but not picking leads.) I sold it and bought an amp and a Gibson J45 that needed work (and still needs work.)

There are many small luthiers that probably make better guitars. If you can catch one of these who haven't made a reputation yet, then you may have a find.

• Members

I ruffled some feathers over at UMGF! I was only defending a guy over some unjustified rudeness and you really need to check out some of the responses! Its the"I couldnt beleve"thread.

Looks like the Mods are some of the worst offenders!

They're calling for your head now Andrew!

• Like 1

• 14 years later...
  • Members

For years, apparently too.

I turned 50 last year. I'd really like a new Martin 00 or 000 - but I'm choosing to build it myself with parts purchased from the Guitar Maker's Connection along with materials from elsewhere. I see the saying over at AGF that it's better to be a player rather than a "polisher" but it doesn't apply if you make the sawdust yourself IMHO.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
On 3/17/2023 at 8:18 PM, kodokanron said:

The moderators are biased to C. F. Martin any negative posts about the serious binding issues or other

questions about  Martins lack of QA QC and you will banned by Todd or Jim the Martin rump rangers!!!

um, yeah well it is the Unofficial MARTIN GUITAR Forum...what did you expect? They are fanboys. I have never been there, and I own 2 Martins.:wave:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...