Who needs expensive guitars?

kwakatak

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that Robert Johnson and other legendary bluesmen back in the old days couldn't afford nice geetars. Nowadays the "vintage" tone is all the rage and commands prices that are probably beyond the imagination of the old time bluesmen.

So I did a little experiment last year:

I took my old $35 Kay and put $15 into it to replace a broken tuner and another $6 and bought a set of strings. Then I tried my hand at playing some blues-type picking*:

"Windy and Warm" a la John Loudermilk

""Cindy and Norm" a la Guy Van Duser (from an issue Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine)

* Of course, I do need work to work on my blues chops and the guitar damn near gave me carpotunel!

EDIT: the links work now. Sorry. :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

I remember reading somewhere that Robert Johnson and other legendary bluesmen back in the old days couldn't afford nice geetars.

Most blues guys, with a few notable exceptions, bought the best guitars they could afford. Robert Johnson played a Gibson, no mean feat for a man of his means. As a matter of fact, most of the electric bluesmen prior to stevierayvaughnification, played Gibsons.

Think of it as "period bling."

I hate that damn word. :rolleyes:

• Members

maybe what is being drawn here is the line that devides tech/art.

I have been to street fairs and been long afterwards amazed and amused by guys makeing trashcans and other junk make music. or, a favorite piece for me is in an old movie where Fonda plays Lincoln and does Dixie on a mouthharp.

and, i must confess i have just started reaquiring guitars, and one in house is worth about a 100 - maybe and one on order cost 165 ..... but i will have guitars worth more then a grand soon.

why? because i can and want to.

• Members

Is is ironic that the Gibson RJ reissue lists for over $3K? I think it is also interesting that the price of my Dobros in 1932 was the model number $27. The expensive model was $33. The really expensive one was $45. But in 1980 that model 33 dobro was a grand and today it is two. Do you think RJ and BBF and Bukka and all the others sat around their computers bitchin' about the price of guitars? Hell no, they woke up in the mornin' and looked 'round for their shoes....

• Members

i got a g series takakmine and it was only like 2 or 3 hundred or something and that was like 7 or 8 years ago but the damn thing had a beeter sound then any of my other guitars and had nice low end and a big sound......i recorded all the songs except the last one on my my space with it.....the last one was done with a washburn 12 string

• Members

I spent 1999-2001 down in the caribbean with nothing more than a baby taylor, and I honed my chops there to a greater degree than at any other time in my 53 years (with the *possible* exception of the last year, maybe). With no TV or car or most other distractions, that little guitar and I both got quite a workout in two years. It's funny; I have several guitars but that baby taylor's not for sale @ any price.

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that Robert Johnson and other legendary bluesmen back in the old days couldn't afford nice geetars. Nowadays the "vintage" tone is all the rage and commands prices that are probably beyond the imagination of the old time bluesmen.

I took my old $35 Kay and put $15 into it to replace a broken tuner and another $6 and bought a set of strings. Then I tried my hand at playing some blues-type picking*:

* Of course, I do need work to work on my blues chops and the guitar damn near gave me carpotunel!

shame on me!

first i should have complimented to player

nice (very nice) work kwakatak

• Members

Originally posted by Freeman Keller

Is is ironic that the Gibson RJ reissue lists for over $3K?

Ironic is right. If you have $3k to spend on a guitar, what the hell are you doin' with the blues?

Kwak Clip! I can't listen now, unfortunately - my employers are smart enough to know I'm not to be trusted with a sound card... Will have to listen when I get home.

• Members

Originally posted by Freeman Keller

Do you think RJ and BBF and Bukka and all the others sat around their computers bitchin' about the price of guitars? Hell no, they woke up in the mornin' and looked 'round for their shoes....

ROFLMAO......... :D

• Members

I think if you really looked into it most of those old time blues men paid a dollar or two for their geetars , bought them used or someone gave it to them - they were real men , who played anything with strings on it - like our Kay guitar friend , ive got an old Harmony twelve string that im beting would make a great blues guitar !

• Members

Could only open the second link, but enjoyed it greatly. Thanks, man.

• Members

Thanks, everyone! I do enjoy playing these kind of songs. They may be called the blues, but they actually make me happy when I play them.

As for the whole "who needs an expensive guitar?" thing, I still think that I do, but I'm trying to talk myself out of succumbing to GAS. It's been tough! I'm more likely to buy a condensor mic first.

Also, whenever somebody says that such and such guitars sound like crap it really pisses me off. IMO about 90% of tone, mojo, whatever comes from the person playing the guitar. The only thing a guitar can be guilty of is sounding/fitting someone so badly that they don't want to play it.

Regarding the old timer blues guys, I was under the impression that they all played Harmonies, Stellas and Kays. I guess I'm wrong though: live and learn. FK is right though: I doubt they really cared about such things and concentrated more on playing.

• Members

Boy, I had some fun this afternoon, got my Cheap Alvarez out of it's chip board case, tuned her up, played some country-blues songs and then just started jamming with some major 7th chords, whoo, got some sweet tones!!!!!

• Members

Good job Kwakatak!

Speaking of cheap guitars:

I replaced the Elixer Polyweb strings with D'Addario EJ16's and lowered the action (on the low E side) of my Alvarez today. I took apprx. 1/32" off the bottom of the bass side of the saddle.

It doesn't sound or play like a $200 guitar. Man, the new strings are bright and loud compared to the Elixers. The lowered action plays a little faster and easier.

I'm not sure, but I might be switching back to Elixers. I like the feel of the coated strings when I finger pick (I don't use picks or nails - just fingers).

Cheap guitars are a lot of fun. Especially, when they are set up correctly.

• Members

Originally posted by guit30

My RD20S came set up to kill, 3/32 bass@ 12th to 2/32 @ treble,haven't touched it except to put on xtra light polywebs and give a bit of relief to the neck.

Jim

Mine was closer to 4/32 (1/8") on the bass side and 2/32 on the treble side. The neck relief was perfect. Now it's 3/32 and 2/32, like yours.

• Members

I'm all about cheap guitars, man! I don't think there's a way to set up the Kay, though. I don't see any way to tweak the truss rod and the saddle looks like something on a Toys R Us guitar only a little worse. All I really did was drop in the new tuning machines, sand the black paint off the fretboard and put a generous amount of lemonseed oil on it. I put Martin SP Fingerstyle PB lights on it which feel like they're lower tension than the John Pearses I had on it before.

I did have my Tak professionally set up a couple of years ago and remember how drastic the change was though. It was probably the best $80 I ever spent because it certainly doesn't play like a $200 guitar anymore either. And to think I would've wasted my money on an inferior guitar without even knowing it.

I have seen the light! Can I get an amen?!?:idea:

Archived