Who needs expensive guitars?

kwakatak

• Members
Originally posted by kwakatak

Already ahead of you,Sweb. My Larrivee is currently mounted on a String Swing that's securely affixed to a wall stud on an interior wall. I have room for
two
more wall hangers on that particular wall!
;)

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/14421134236.jpg&s=f5

This is a "cheapie"? Okay, Mr. Trump, I think you've been holding out on us.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sweb

This is a "cheapie"? Okay, Mr. Trump, I think you've been holding out on us.

No comment on the price, and no it's not a "cheapie". The Tak usually hangs there but it seems a shame to keep the Larri in its case.

• Members

I have 5 acoustics and they are all on the wall, cases stored away in a closet. Now that I'm in the Orlando area the hygrometer in the room reads a constant 55 RH. I imagine that will vary some but the climate swing/season isn't that dramatic here so I figure I'm pretty safe leaving them there.

• Members

Thanks Hudman,

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade soon. I'd love to have a Martin or some other high end guitar. I just don't think I could justify it in my own mind (or the mind of my wife!) unless I found one for a steal at a flea market or something

• Members

Gooch,

A premium guitar, well -cared for costs NOTHING to own over a period of ten years, because more than likely you can re-sell it at or above the price you paid for it.

If a car came with the same guarantee you'd buy it in a minute.

Sherwood

• Members

True, but you have to come up with that investment.

Also their holding their value so well is what makes it so hard to find a good deal. It seems if you're looking for a Martin, Taylor etc. you may as well get a brand new one because if its a few years old it hasn't depreciated much, and if its much older it fetches "vintage" prices.

Has anyone ever seen a used D -15 for a few hundred bucks? It seems to me they cost just as much as new ones. The more talk I see here on the site I may consider A Seagull later this year. It seems to be one of the most respected less expensive guitars

• Members
Originally posted by theGOOCH

Thanks Hudman,

I'm sure I'll want to upgrade soon. I'd love to have a Martin or some other high end guitar. I just don't think I could justify it in my own mind (or the mind of my wife!) unless I found one for a steal at a flea market or something

I really wasn't talking about the price. My main guitar cost me a shade under $800. Some folks consider that to be inexpensive. It sounds great and plays great. I could buy a $1500 + guitar. I chose not to.

I was talking about the body shape, scale length, type of woods used, etc. You may even find yourself playing a different style of music than you do now. All of these factors will shape your opinion of what sounds good.

Man thought water was the greatest drink on Earth, until he drank his first beer....:D

I am all for developing a cultured pallete but some things are not true. There is nothing more stunning than a beautifully appointed guitar that has the voice of an angel. I don't have to own that guitar to appreciate it.

I have heard lots of guitarist on many forums. The best guitarists don't need 2000 to 3000 guitars. They like and want them. For the rest of us, unbelievable tone can be had for between $400 and $1500. A $3000 guitar does not sound twice as good as a $1500 guitar. Between $500 and $1500, in the current market, there is room for a lot of variance.

I have played on wonderful guitars. Bourgois, Collings, Martins, Gibsons. I don't feel the need to own them. Truly, I would have no problem owning a $1500 Taylor, Larivee and feeling that I'd died and gone to heaven.

There will be very little tonal variance between a great $1500 and a great $3000 guitar.

And most won't be ablt to tell the difference between a Martin and a Washburn anyway.

Play on!!

• Members

Originally posted by theGOOCH

I always laugh when I see inexpensive guitars listed as "beginner" guitars. I think they just want to guilt you into spending more if you are an experienced guitarist.

I used to play as a kid and now in my early 30's I decided it would be fun to get a cheap (but not total garbage) acoustic guitar to play around the house.

I paid $100 bucks for a Squier Dreadnought. A lot of people might think it would be terrible, but it sounds suprisingly good. it has a (laminated) spruce top and stays in tune remarkably well. Does it sound like a Martin? Of course not, but it sounds pretty good for my purposes and I like it. I don't think I will ever spend a couple G's on a guitar

I'm starting to knock the rust off my playing a little bit and sounding pretty good. I may decide at some point to upgrade to a $300-400 guitar and since I'm so happy with mine I will seriously consider a Fender acoustic although they don't get much respect either

This is how is starts. You will be happy with your guitar for a longer period of time by staying out of the local guitar retailer...and probably avoiding this forum. I hear from posters about all these guits and play them in the stores. My list of desired guitars far exceeds both my budget and talent:D

Archived