more life stuff

kwakatak

• Members

In keeping with clippy's community theme, I just ahd to share some news that I've been sitting on: there's another little kwak on the way come late March/early April.

This is number two for us. The first one is going to be 3 when this one is born so we're already familiar with what's in store, but my wife is probably more sick than she was last time. We've already had a few occassions that caused some concern but so far things are OK, though.

Meanwhile, I'm probably gonna be a little busier around the house than usual. I'm already the stay at home Dad and take care of most of the domestic stuff, but my wife has been instructed to take it easy and not do any heavy lifting, etc.

So hows does this translate into on-topic stuff. Well, we'll also be converting our home office (where the guitars and PC are) into a nursery so everything will be relocated. I'm guessing that that means that I'll be playing guitar in the dining room come springtime. Fine by me; the chairs are really comfortable. As for storage, I'll be pushing to have my guitars put on display in the living room. That'd be where the blue couch is for you fellas who've commented on my guitar honey-shots that I've posted. Neither room gets much use, even by the toddler.

Damn - I'm tired already!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

In keeping with clippy's community theme, I just ahd to share some news that I've been sitting on: there's another little kwak on the way come late March/early April.

This is number two for us. The first one is going to be 3 when this one is born so we're already familiar with what's in store, but my wife is probably more sick than she was last time. We've already had a few occassions that caused some concern but so far things are OK, though.

Meanwhile, I'm probably gonna be a little busier around the house than usual. I'm already the stay at home Dad and take care of most of the domestic stuff, but my wife has been instructed to take it easy and not do any heavy lifting, etc.

So hows does this translate into on-topic stuff. Well, we'll also be converting our home office (where the guitars and PC are) into a nursery so everything will be relocated. I'm guessing that that means that I'll be playing guitar in the dining room come springtime. Fine by me; the chairs are really comfortable. As for storage, I'll be pushing to have my guitars put on display in the living room. That'd be where the blue couch is for you fellas who've commented on my guitar honey-shots that I've posted. Neither room gets much use, even by the toddler.

Damn - I'm tired already!

Kwak, I copied this for a reason. This is EXACTLY what I'm going through right now, right down to the moving my home office guitar room!! I am on #2 and my first child will be turning two when the new one is born! My wife is definately sicker this time round, I feel for both of you, but we all know that it turns out great in the end! Congrats!

• Members

Congratulations, Kwak. Make sure your wife takes it easy like she's supposed to; it'll be alright.

I, too, had to vacate my guitar room (playroom) to make way for our second bambino. Now we have a third and frankly we've run out of rooms in the house. I play guitar in the dining room, bedroom, living room, or, when she's not home, in my 15 year old's bedroom.:thu:

• Members

Congrats Neil.

I went through the same thing 6 years ago with my second child. I lost my computer / guitar room.

It didn't stop there: I lost my desk top computer to my wife and kids almost 3 years ago.

Now I use a laptop PC at the dining room table. That's also where I do most of my guitar playing. I had an area in the basement set up for elecrtic playing during the winter months. I played electric in the garage during warm months. My garage is not atttached to the house, so I could get pretty loud out there.

I think my wife and kids will save some room for me in the house (I do pay the bills there -:D ).

• Members

Congratulations! That is great news.

My middle son turns 12 today; my oldest turns 14 on Sunday. The former is learing guitar, the latter is already a pretty good drummer. I have a 7 year-old as well. Kids are a blast.

And, hey, moving the guitars to the living room just means they'll be closer at hand, right? Actually, my wife is always yelling at me to keep them OUT of our family room. If I bring a few in to play, she tolerates it for a few days, and then it inevitably leads to the: "why do you need all these guitars" question. Best to keep them scattered throughout the house, and out of the family room altogether.

• Members

Originally posted by Whalebot

Kwak, I copied this for a reason. This is EXACTLY what I'm going through right now, right down to the moving my home office guitar room!! I am on #2 and my first child will be turning two when the new one is born! My wife is definately sicker this time round, I feel for both of you, but we all know that it turns out great in the end! Congrats!

That's awesome, Whalebot! Sorry to hear that your wife is having a hard time too. Doesn't it suck to see them struggle so much while you stand by? Between the stomach pains, nauseau (and mood swings - shhh!) I feel completely helpless.

BTW - how's #1 taking the news? Ours is developmentally delayed (for speech only, otherwise he's a typical stubborn two year-old :rolleyes: ) so I don't think he has any idea what he's in for. I imagine that he's not gonna want to lose his perks as being the baby. That's pretty much how the cat was before he came along. She's still carrying a grudge over that one and I can't walk around my house barefooted! :eek:

Anyway, I'm pretty stubborn so I haven't made any efforts at cleaning out my stuff just yet. When the time comes though it's all going to compete with the toddler's stuff and I imagine that there are going to be many more "oopsies". :(

He already knows to fear the amp though! :evil:

• Members

Allie is still to young to really understand what the hell is going on. She's still the princess of the house. Hopefully I'll get a room back when we move. We've been in house hell for over a year trying to sell. Keep your fingers crossed for me, we have a showing as I write this!

• Members

I know how that is. Justin is the prince of the house right now - and at 3' tall (with something like 6% body fat) is a bruiser to boot. I've got the shiner and various other bruises to show for it. I got headbutted during a temper tantrum a couple of weeks ago so now I warn people that he's the "strong silent type" with fists (and head and feet) of fury. :eek:

As for additional rooms, I was thinking of pitching a cabin tent in the back yard this coming spring just like when I was a kid. I'm just the butler after all! ;)

Seriously though, good luck with the showing. I know it's tough selling a house in the current housing market.

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by Greymuzzle

I'm still trying to figure out how I can be such a font of wisdom and sage advice as a Dad - and still do such buck stupid things myself...

:D Well put. Now if I can just stop it from reverberating around in my head...

• Members

Originally posted by Greymuzzle

Good Luck, God Bless and enjoy your kids.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can be such a font of wisdom and sage advice as a Dad - and still do such buck stupid things myself...

Well, if you figure it out be sure to let me in on it. We have the requesite copies of "What To Expect When You're Expecting" and "What To Expect During the Toddler Years" but they don't exactly read like stereo instructions, if you know what I mean! ;)

• Members

Congrats!! My wife and I had our first child (son Ethan) back on March 27th. Like most in here, my cherished music room is now covered in bright colors and little bear wallpaper. The lil' nipper is probably the only thing out there that actually trumps my desire for a music room, so it wasn't too difficult to give up.

Luckily, he seems to love noise and music (which when I'm playing music, it's pretty much just noise!). I've been granted a little cubby hole located in the master bedroom, which now has my Martin standing there all alone. The other instruments are packed up and hybernating due to the lack of space. The good news is, we're building a new home next year. My wife felt a little guilty of me having to put away my other "babies", so I've got total design dibs on a new and improved music room.

See, it always works out in the end!

Good luck to you. :D

• Members

Bless you both. I'm single and have an apartment, so things are a bit different, keep my guit in the closet, most of my time is after midnight listening to music to review on my Grado headphones(best available) I don't have a computer, I go a couple of blocks ,actually a bit longer to where I work has a computer lab, a nice pert is I have 24 hour access to it with my ID card. Saves room in my apartment for guitar stuff

Best guys

Jim

www.gradolabs.com

Grado SR-60s

• Members

I never realized how wonderful being a dad could be 'till I had my little girl.

She's going to be 10 in a month. Amazing, stuff.

You know...having your guits and stuff out in the open is, IMO, a good thing for the kids. Ava's always walking around, humming or singing my tunes and then making up new ones off of them. It's always been a part of her life, and I wonder whether it would have been that way if I'd been in a room with the door shut. She's a very musical kid.

Just don't keep 'em on stands...but you probably know that. Kids lose their "cute" label when you hear that musical "clunk" from downstairs.

Anyway: good luck with the new (and older) one and enjoy.

• Members

Thanks, folks!

It really hasn't hit us yet. My wife's discomfort has been a bit of a distraction from that. Of course, we've already had two ultrasounds so far so we know that it's growing normally but we still don't know the gender. I'll make no comments on what I'm hoping for. ;)

I'm not too concerned about losing the office/music room, really. I've always hated the acoustics of the room anyway. I'd much rather play downstairs in the kitchen, just as long as my son learns to stop knocking my guitars over on purpose.

:eek::mad::cry:

BTW, he doesn't really enjoy my guitar playing anymore. He'd rather wrestle with me or the cat, throw things or try and figure out how to dismantle/destroy things. I think the kid's gonna be a Navy Seal!

Archived