What's with this talk of jumbos around here lately?

kwakatak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Whoa. That's an interesting guitar!

L-200?

One-off J-200 "prototype"...it's about #2 or #3, I think...about 1937-38, maybe, as the SJ-200 debutted in '39, I think I read in the AG article I mentioned earlier.

Is kinda cool looking, except for the bridge..guess they (Gibson and/or Whitley) thought up the "mustachio" a little later. :)

• Members

I'm a jumbo player too - Taylor 314, which is the "Grand Auditorium" body.

When I was shopping for my first real acoustic a few years ago I didn't have any real preconceived ideas about what I wanted, but I ended up in the Taylor section (as a bass player I'm pretty good at getting bottom end out of things) with a couple of dreadnoughts and the 314. Ultimately the jumbo won - the dreads sounded like car-boomer bass, all thump at a limited range of frequencies. The jumbo was better balanced, especially with jazzy bar chords.

• Members

I'm a jumbo player too - Taylor 314, which is the "Grand Auditorium" body.

When I was shopping for my first real acoustic a few years ago I didn't have any real preconceived ideas about what I wanted, but I ended up in the Taylor section (as a bass player I'm pretty good at getting bottom end out of things) with a couple of dreadnoughts and the 314. Ultimately the jumbo won - the dreads sounded like car-boomer bass, all thump at a limited range of frequencies. The jumbo was better balanced, especially with jazzy bar chords.

Actually, the 314 grand auditorium isn't technically a jumbo, the _12 body style technically is. They're still not a bad guitar though.

• Members
Fair enough, but when I look at a Gibson J-200 I usually think of this:

http://www.shopelvis.com/nshop/product.php?navgroup=0&view=detail&productid=EP-175921-S&dept=photoprints&category=photoprints&page=&groupName=PHOTOprint11x14

... but those of you guys who seem to personify your guitars as women, I think the upswing in blond jumbos may have a lot to do with the supersaturation of Anna Nicole news going on.
;)

Couldn't find a picture of Pete Townshend but he's who I think of when it comes to the Gibson j-200...I want one of those but the lack of funds is really getting in the way.:cry:

• Members
Fair enough, but when I look at a Gibson J-200 I usually think of this:

http://www.shopelvis.com/nshop/product.php?navgroup=0&view=detail&productid=EP-175921-S&dept=photoprints&category=photoprints&page=&groupName=PHOTOprint11x14

... but those of you guys who seem to personify your guitars as women, I think the upswing in blond jumbos may have a lot to do with the supersaturation of Anna Nicole news going on.
;)

Yeah, but Elvis could take anything and make it look tacky

• Members
Actually, the 12 series (Grand Concert) are even smaller than the 14 series (Grand Auditorium)...the jumbos are the 15 (6-string) and 55 (12-string) series.

12 series:
312ce.jpg

14 series:
Pallet-lg.jpg
(the famous "Pallet 14")

15 series:
271891.jpg

star18.jpg

Hehe - you're right TAH! The _15 is the jumbo. Thanks for keeping me honest. ;)

• Members
I like me a bigass git...I need me a giant box...and I find jumbos pretty freakin' comfy on the lap. A nice bigass 17" lower bout rumble doesn't hurt either.

I'm very late to this thread. But: what Knock said. I am SO diggin' my new-to-me Yamaha CJ838s. We're having a good ol' big-ass time, yes indeed. And I still love my 'bird. :love: And she still loves me.

• Members

Thanks all of you for posting the Townshend pic w/the J200. I have been enjoying Townshend acoustic version of Who songs more than the band's versions and that is a great guitar. My main acoustic is a Carvin C780 which is a jumbo cutaway. I put 13s on it an tuned down a half step, I love the sound. There have also been a couple of threads over the last month or so about the Washburn Cumberland jumbos. Those are maple bodies that I think are nice guits.

• Members
I'm very late to this thread. But: what Knock said. I am
SO
diggin' my new-to-me Yamaha CJ838s. We're having a good ol' big-ass time, yes indeed. And I still love my 'bird.
:love:
And she still loves me.

And the price of those babies has skyrocketed on eBay. You probably got in just under the wire - right before that guy on HC Acoustic Forum started raving about how ... oh ... heh, heh .... never mind ...(whistles softly, walking away) :)

• Members

That's my 315 there exactly. The only difference is that the Sitka on mine is beginning to turn a beautiful golden color. It's also opening up beautifully.

I love da Jumbos!

RT1:thu:

Is Taylor still making jumbos after their line change? Can't find any on their site... If they've discontinued 'em, I think that'd be kind of sad.

• Members

I've only owned one jumbo ever. It was a Tacoma JK-50CE4, and as with a few other guitars I've owned, I could kick myself for selling it. Koa back and sides, spruce top, incredibly low action, jangly and loud. Think of a Taylor dread on steroids. I keep an eye on eBay in case one comes up for sale....

• Members

Is Taylor still making jumbos after their line change? Can't find any on their site... If they've discontinued 'em, I think that'd be kind of sad.

It wouldn't surprise me. I know that Larrivee stopped making jumbos. Does anyone know if Martin still offers jumbos? I see they still have them on their website but I wonder how many they actually sell?

• Members

I don't know. I hope so. Mine is a 2004 model. I am planning on keeping mine forever, if possible. It is truly the nicest acoustic git I ever owned.

I did own a 1961 Fender Jazzmaster back in the day. I also had a blackface Fender Super Reverb amp with (true) JB Lansing speakers in it. Sold them for a song because I got into money trouble. It was many years later before I realized that I had given away a treasure. So it goes....:cry:

RT1

• Members

It wouldn't surprise me. I know that Larrivee stopped making jumbos. Does anyone know if Martin still offers jumbos? I see they still have them on their website but I wonder how many they actually sell?

I wonder too, but I don't even think of Martin's offerings as real jumbo's. A friend had a J-40; nice guitar, but didn't really have the jumbo feel/sound.

Archived