What's with this talk of jumbos around here lately?

kwakatak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Of course, I could just go and make it worse and request Notable's price list again. I'm still drooling over the one I got over a year ago.
:freak:

That price list is crazy (low-crazy, I mean). Unfortunately the D-60 was out of stock so it was +5%, but even so, I saw one used recently on the site of a very reputable dealer for more money than I paid new... Notable's prices give GAS a whole new dimension.

• Members
I really need to unload that decrepit old pointy electric of mine, get back to that shop with the L-03

Damn - I just checked their website and that shop is closing its doors (at that location at least) the day after tomorrow. :(

• Members

Damn - I just checked their website and that shop is closing its doors (at that location at least) the day after tomorrow.
:(

There's your sign.

Tell your wife about it. Head in there tomorrow and play "Let's Make a Deal" with the manager / owner. You can probably get an even better deal.

It's a once in a lifetime deal! (feel free to use this line on your wife).

Do it! :thu:

• Members
There's your sign.

Tell your wife about it. Head in there tomorrow and play "Let's Make a Deal" with the manager / owner. You can probably get an even better deal.

It's a once in a lifetime deal! (feel free to use this line on your wife).

Do it!
:thu:

I was thinking the same thing, but it ain't gonna happen. Things are so tense here with baby and lack of sleep right now that you could cut the air with a knife. :(

• Members
I was thinking the same thing, but it ain't gonna happen. Things are so tense here with baby and lack of sleep right now that you could cut the air with a knife.
:(

The tension itself may be an opportunity in disguise, Kwak. Since the tension/anger are already there, I say work it - get as much credit as you can on that existing tension.

Also, I thought I read somewhere about a recent Johns Hopkins study that concluded children sometimes respond better to the sound of mahogany... The key word being sometimes, because an occasional smattering of rosewood is also necessary for emotional balance. Anyone else read that?

• Members

Isn't that a bass.I can only count four strings to and they look mighty thick for a git.

He had the guitar built to fit the large strings. :lol:

The other 2 strings are moving so fast you can't see him. Why? He is playing super advaned guitar techniques taught by Esteban. ;)

• Members
He had the guitar built to fit the large strings.
:lol:

The other 2 strings are moving so fast you can't see him. Why? He is playing super advaned guitar techniques taught by Esteban.
;)

if you have broadband and you hit the refresh button REAL FAST you can almost see the strings.:lol:

• Members
They need to make a 12-fret jumbo. I see 12 fret dreads, but I've yet to see a jumbo in that configuration.

A question: do they make jumbos without the skinny waist? I'm thinking more of a dread profile but just... bigger.

Actually, Gibson made a few 12-fret L-200s in the beginning (Gene Autry had one, I believe, as did Ray Whitley - see photo)...A few years ago, Acoustic Guitar had an article about the history of the J-200 w/ a picture of Autry playing a 12-fret, I believe.

There's a guy who I met at last year's Dallas Guitar Show that makes a repro of that particular guitar...don't recall his name and I can't locate his card, but the 2007 DGS is in a few weeks, so if I see him again, I'll get one of his cards for you.

The one I played was really nice!

WhitleyGuitarPortrait.jpg

• Members

I am first and foremost a bassist (please don't kick me out of this nice forum), so my jumbo Tak. isn't all that big compared to my upright:p

A man commented to me the other day that the jumbo was "a big guitar for a little girl". I'm not that little at 5'7", and I have long arms and long skinny fingers so I don't look like that dude in the picture playing the Ernie Ball Earthwood Bass!!:D

I love the way my jumbo projects, tons of volume.

• Members

This was the perfect thread for me to find tonight.

I am here verses my regular haunt at HCEG because I just bought a big Guild jumbo and wanted to poke around for info on how others utilize all that power.

My Guild is the GAD JF30, solid Maple back and sided with solid Spruce top. I'm not going to run down a full review on the thing but I can say she's real bright compared to my other frame of reference, a Tak Cedar dreadnought. I wouldn't say it's louder than the dread but the huge difference I find so far is it's clarity - each string seems a lot more defined.

That definition is allowing me to change the way I play. I've always been mostly an energetic flatpick strummer and got the Jumbo thinking I'd be able to bang it harder - which I can - but finding I can also get away with things the dread did not allow. For the first time ever I'm discovering the joys of putting down the pick. I found myself clawing at it tonight, hitting a bass note with my thumb while twiddling two or three higher strings instead of a full strum, and getting a very full sound with all sorts of harmonics and rings. I'm sure no fingerpicker by any stretch but I suddenly understand why so many reviews of this guitar praised it for that, yet it still strums with the fatboys. I have to believe that's a trait of the body style itself more than this particular axe.

My conclusion, Jumbos are very versatile. It doesn't hurt that this one looks killer to me:

Archived