Cheap acoustic guitar recommendations?

Joe Bones

• Members

I'd like to find an inexpensive guitar which I can leave up at my fishing camp and not worry about, first, because of the possibility of theft as I'm not there a lot, and second because the constantly changing temps and humidity there are going to be very hard on an acoustic.

I recently test drove some Taks, some Seagulls, some Art and Lutheries, and some Fenders.

I found them all to be lacking in bass; all midrangey and treble.

Just looking for something decent to play, with some bass, and cheap enough to to get upset about if it gets stolen or ruined.

• Members

I give a hearty second to the F325. Guitar Center's F335 is also the same thing, but with gold colored tuners. The fit and finish can be lacking (can be severely lacking), but it sounds good, and has good intonation all the way up the neck. I've not seen that consistently in any of the other inexpensive laminate China made guitars.

I borrowed a F335 for a week when I was out of town once, and used it at open mics and all around town. I was impressed. When I got home, my plan was to sell my current bang around, don't mind leaving it in the trunk on a hot south Florida day, Takamine. But then I go into a Guitar Center and see an FG700S. I can't believe it, for $50 more ($199), you can get a beautifully made solid top guitar, which plays as well as the 335. But then I wouldn't want it to be a bang around. What a dilemma. Anyway, my dilemma was taken care of last week. I ran into a parlor guitar for $200, and got that instead. It's different that anything I've got (I've got two other dreadnoughts), so I'm having fun with something new.

Scott O

• Members

THIS is the guitar you want:

The Yamaha DW7 solid Englemann Spruce top acoustic guitar. $245 including shipping, brand new. You won't find a better new acoustic at that price anywhere. It's better than the Yamahas that have been mentioned in this thread. This guitar retails for $500 and street price is about $350, but it's hard to find one in the US. In the UK (where they're more common) they go for about $500+ street.

The caveat is that it's available from a seller on eBay. He has a bunch of 'em (it's not me, I just found the listing while helping someone else find a good inexpensive acoustic).

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290144854155

Oh, and if you don't believe me, check out the reviews on Harmony Central:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Yamaha/DW-7/10/1

• Members

My reasons for mentioning the Yamaha F325 is because Joe mentioned he needed an ax that can withstand temperature fluctuation. He's absolute right about temps and humidity being hard on a guitar, especially a solid top acoustic. Why spend the extra bucks in possibly repairs and time keeping that solid top in playable condition? If it's a beater, I would chose a laminated/plywood top axe.

Trina

P.S. If Joe wants to improve the sound of the Yam he could make a bone saddle himself to replace the plastic one. HC member Ellen did so a few weeks back, on her Epiphone. She posted a pictorial essay of her handy work to show us how easy is was.

• Members

I recommend the Norman B18 with EPP case. Norman is an acoustic label of Godin, which also makes Seagulls. You can probably get the B18 for around $320. It has a really rich, woody tone, especially when you go into the lower range. I really wish I'd gotten it instead of the B20, which tends to be pricier.

I mention the EPP case because it's designed to maintain a stable temperature on the inside while keeping out heat and cold. It's also lightweight, yet provides good impact resistance due to the material that's used (it's used in cars for steering wheels, bumper cores, and dashboards). Don't know how much the case costs though.

• Members

I would seriously consider the Alvarez RD8- THat guitar for the price is incredible! I own a variety of acoustics, and I play in an acoustic duo- I use the RD-8C as my main guitar- overiding my Tak, Gibson and Ovation! It plays great!:thu:

• Members

IF you can find them (I live in Thailand) get a Future guitar. I got a dread for around $90 that if superb. ANd I own '69 Gibson, Larrivies, Tacoma, etc, so I know what I speak of. Makes one wonder why we spend so much.... reallY! If you vacation over here, pick one up.

• Members

I'm with Trina. Laminate top Yamahas sound good, play easily and have proven to be tough little customers when it comes to temperature, humidity and knocks and bumps. I have 3 Yamahas currently. My beater goes to the beach,, rides in the trunk, get banged around and still sounds and plays fine. P.S. Yamahas tend to respond well to brass bridge pins which can add about $200.00 worth of tone and sustain for $10.00

• Members

Personally I find the Yamaha's to have the best sound and feel of the 200-300 price range. My bang up Yamaha still sounds great (8 years now) and has withstood multiple beatings and being left in terrible climate conditions. Not advocating doing that, but I use that guitar more than anything just cuz it's there.

The model I have is the FG 403 not sure if they still have it but it was around 200. Sitka top, Nato binding/neck.

Archived