OK, so if Queequeg can do it...

kwakatak

• Members

... then maybe I can too.

Does that mean we have some sort of unhealthy competition going on, Queequeg? ;)

I don't think so; I just feel like I've been missing out on the fun and I need something to break the monotony/stress around the kwakatak household. Durned kids won't let me play and all... :mad:

But I digress... there's an open mic tonight up and I'm trying suck up the gumption to git on up there (pun intended, is that a d03nut-ism?) and play some of the stuff that I've been tormenting these 4 walls (and certain aspects of the Internet community) with for the past few years.

The trouble is that when all you do is woodshed with no rhyme or reason, you end up with a repertoire that's a bit schizo in nature. So the real question is: what to play?

I know that others have said "just judge the crowd" but that may not fly. There aren't many open mikes around here, so this one is a mix of young and old. I've seen guys my age get up there and play Garth Brooks and Old Crow Medicine Show. I've also seen a teacher/student do a tasty jazz improv duet on a pair of archtops. I've seen a crusty old grandfather pull a guitar that would rival Willie's Trigger for its "eclectic" qualities and accompany his 14 year-old granddaughter to an old Tammy Wynette song. Last but not least, I've seen two teenaged boys get up and try to wow some of their friends and girlfriends to the Eagles' "Hotel California". So you see, it's all over there. The list is also pretty full by the time I get there too.

Anyway, here's what I've got as far as a ready-to-go playlist:

Trouble - Ray LaMontagne

Hold You In My Arms - Ray LaMontagne

Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton

Change the World - Eric Clapton

Cool Change - Little River Band

Take It Easy On Me - Little River Band

Who We Are - Bill Deasy (who is a local PGH artist who many outside of the area haven't heard of)

Heart of Gold - Neil Young (what can I say? Gil inspired me!)

... and there are a few not so polished or nearly-forgotten songs (like Hotel California, Stairway to Heaven, All Along the Watchtower, Knockin' on Heaven's Door, etc.) that I could probably pull out of my @$$ if the mood hit me.

Then on the instrumental side, I've got a TON of fingerstyle stuff at the ready, including:

Angelina - Tommy Emmanuel

The Dance - Garth Brooks (an instrumental version)

Windy and Warm - John Loudermilk

The Water is Wide - Edward Gerhard

Vincent (Starry Starry Night) - Chet Atkins

...along with a bunch of others that would probably just put the crowd to sleep. :o

Sorry for the long meandering rant, folks. That's just me craving adult expression after literally wiping poop off the walls. This playing guitar thing is just my way of relaxing (and putting off going to bed after long stressful days) but then I guess maybe I should just STFU and get a real job.

Oh wait - it's almost 10:30. That means I have to go back to the preschool and pick up said full-time job. Anybody know any songs to calm down a nonverbal preschooler with ADHD tendencies?

• Members

Hehe - thanks Dave. Actually, I've got an MP3 of laying on my old PC's hard drive but FWIW this place has a pretty good setup. It's in a local music shop so they have a PA, the option of plugging in or miking the guitars as well as a camcorder. I think I even saw folks signing up to have their stuff put up on Youtube.

...that kinda adds to the stage fright for some reason. :freak:

• Members

I don't try to please the crowd, I play what I'm in the mood for... but sometimes the crowd will sway my mood, and I change my plans. Anyway, that's what works for me, and what I enjoy most. Sometimes I'll do something on request, but for me, I'm left with something less. What resonates with me, is when I'm in a particular mood, I find songs which flow with that mood. Then my hearts in it. When I do something for the crowd, even if the crowd responds really well, deep down I'm left with something flat. I'm talking open mics here, so no one is paying me for entertainment. I'm being given the opportunity to get up and express myself, and hear others do the same.

Scott O

• Members

you go, Guy!

heck, if I can do it anybody can do it. You're in too deep now to back out, Kwak.

Imagine your shame if you have to post to us here tomorrow that you weenied out.

After all, I am the weeniest of weenies.

yep, Heart of Gold would be good. and I have heard you play Water is Wide and that is a killer arrangement (Ed Gerhard as I recall). I play this tune too, but a much simpler arrangement. Nevertheless, people even seem to like the one I do.

OK, so I'm getting up early tomorrow morning to read how it went.

I'll accept anything, including all about how you tripped on the stage and got a bloody nose, and they carried you off in a gurney.

Anything, that is, except "it didn't happen."

• Members

I think I've heard some of your instrumental sound clips (definitely remember Water is Wide), and they were all great. If you do a vocal piece it might still be nice to throw in an instrumental section to show your chops. Or even an instrumental intro to warm you up.

Is tuning an issue? I think Water is Wide wasn't in standard, not sure what your other songs are. I guess it only matters if you play more than one song, or think you might change your mind when you get up there. Good luck and have fun with it.

• Members

Hmm. Well, go for it, kwak. Whadya got to lose?

Just put the songs in an order you think would work. Usualy, open mics give a player about 15-20 minutes, so put your best songs first, use cereal filler for the rest. Avoid stuff like Hotel Califotnia. At a respectable open mic, you might get tossed out for playing stuff like that.

• Members

Good for you! I second happy-man's recommendation: go with what moves you. Your emotion and sincerity will sell whatever you do more than technique. And don't forget that courage is not the absence of fear, rather it is the willingness to move forward in the face of fear.

Have fun!

• Members

I think that Clapton's "Change the world" is a nice easy goin sorta' recognizable tune. I bet the folks listening will enjoy that. I am not a big fan of "Tears in Heaven" due to the radio over playing it. Other than that I have to say go for it man! I have been doing the open mic thing too for a couple of years now and because of playing them my songlist is growing :)

Have fun and enjoy the experience :thu:

OGP

• Members

Last weekend I was just farting around playing something getting used to the Taylor 110 this guy had out by a public pool. By the time I got thru a couple pieces there was a small gathering standing near and many who pulled up lounge chairs to bask and listen. When I stopped and gave the guitar back an applause really took me by surprise. My usuall 4 walls don't do that.

So, just go up there on stage and fart around with what you know and feel like playing. Or you can make plans and expect them to go awry.

• Members

...and I have heard you play
Water is Wide

I'd like to play that one, but I can never remember--does it have a bridge?

Sorry.

You go, man! Update us after the fact! You will love it. I agree with those who say play what you have the best feel for, and lead off with the strongest thing you have. As for instrumental vs. song w/vocals--it depends on the venue and audience. Other guitar players appreciate instrumentals, but non-guitarists connect better with vocals, from what I've seen. In my (noisy) venue, strumming/flat-picking cuts through better than fingerstyle, whether vocals or not. Good luck!

• Members

Im proud of you kwakatak , i wouldn't worry about what you play just get their and play the piece you do the best first ( Ice breaker ) I just started doing open mics as well ( played out three times recently - before this havent played out in over 25 years ) Believe me everyone else their is in the same boat as you are - their scared, your scared - their trying out stuff, your trying out stuff -- its all about the fun , believe me you will have the time of your life -scary at first , but exilerating -- Break a leg my friend and good luck !

• Members

Well, I did it. I'm still decompressing but it went OK for a first time I suppose. I totally klemped on TE's Angelina but seemed to find my groove halfway through Ray LaMontagne's "Hold You In My Arms" and felt pretty comfortable to close out my set (and the open mic itself) with Eric Clapton's "Change the World".

I'm more satisfied with my singing than with my guitar playing - which ain't sayin' much but I think I'll give it another go next month!

• Members

Way to go, Kwak!
I'm proud of you, man. It's in your rear view mirror now & that's the main thing. It's not languishing out there as some unsatisfied mission or goal.
Next month you won't be a first-timer.
I'm very glad you got out, especially with all your obligations at home.
Other people hearing you play is decidedly a very good thing.

• Members

Thanks, fellas! I'm told the incriminating evidence should be up on Youtube in a couple of weeks. Minus Angelina of course - I had to quit in the middle. I don't know how many times I've played it at home with no hitches but for some reason when I was up there I completely lost my place. :mad:

• Members
Thanks, fellas! I'm told the incriminating evidence should be up on Youtube in a couple of weeks. Minus Angelina of course - I had to quit in the middle. I don't know how many times I've played it at home with no hitches but for some reason when I was up there I completely lost my place.
:mad:

I would call this a smashing success. Oh!. . . the anticipation of the next time. You'll be like a kid waiting for the fat man in the red suit!!!!!!:D

Good job, Dood!:thu:

Archived