Lets build a little................fire

Freeman Keller

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Freeman,

I know you are a perfectionist, but life is too short to let stuff like this get you down. Cleat the cracks and fix the back braces. It will still sound and play great. No one looks at the back of a guitar.

Here's an interesting story about humidity I found on Classical Guitar Builder dot com:

Humidity and Your Guitar Guitarists frequently ask me what is a safe humidity range for their guitar. For a short period of time, like about a day, the relative humidity of the air isn

• Members

oh what a pity. well now you get your first lesson in fixing a guitar. you cant change what happens...only how you respond to what happens. I am sure that the fire wont be necessary once you get over the post traumatic stress and get back to work on the beautiful little git

• Members

Truly sorrow to hear about that, bro... :(

If it's too painful to contemplate keeping it, why not fix it w/ cleats and have a contest or something...maybe even an essay contest...and let that fine little parlor put a HUGE smile on somebody's lucky face?

Or donate it to a good cause's auction...that lil' darling is too nice for firewood!

• Members

I can't even imagine how you feel Freeman but I do agree that if it can be repaired that it's worth it. That guitar is way to nice not to be fixed if possible.

And I'll agree with Queequeg in that all the regulars here felt a little emotionally invested in this project. I literally felt my heart sink when I saw that picture. But even the greats in all different fields have setbacks occasionally. I'm sure there are quite a few great guitar builds in your future.

• Members

Beautiful guitar from those pics.

If I knew what you know about making guitars, I'd remove the finish on the back, cleat those cracks expertly, apply finish on just the cracks, sand it down, repeat, and then do the whole back, and it would look like new again, and I'd always view it as a never ending, beautiful work in progress.

It's just a lot of work, but you can get it back and that's all you can do for it. It has let those stresses out so I bet it rings better than before. So make it whole again and it will be the better for it.

• Members

Crazy idea, Freeman. Do you think re-humidifying the guitar to close up the cracks could be made permanent if the cracks were wicked with fast-capillary action CA after closing up? I realize you constructed it in a higher than safe RH environment but perhaps slowly bringing the RH down might allow the whole board to relax uniformly rather than locally as it did inside your house.

• Members

1) Thanks to everyone. Ohioarrow said it well, your support is very much appreciated and valued.

2) Remember, this is just wood. There are many many more important things in the world - health, family and friends, loved ones and pets, homes and security, peace in the world. This is just a hunk of wood.

3) I'm going to try to fix it. I guess that will make for another thread, eh?

• Members

Freeman

Just wanted to add my condolences - I'm so sorry it failed...

I cannot imagine how many hours of re-work will be necessary to reinstate it to the same position, and I suppose you had a delivery date in mind, which will now go by the bye...

I'm pleased that you seem to have retained a sense of perspective and I look forward to the gritted teeth "this is how you cleat a back" thread - unless you have another cunning plan...

Good luck

Geraint

• Members

1) Thanks to everyone. Ohioarrow said it well, your support is very much appreciated and valued.

2) Remember, this is just wood. There are many many more important things in the world - health, family and friends, loved ones and pets, homes and security, peace in the world. This is just a hunk of wood.

3) I'm going to try to fix it. I guess that will make for another thread, eh?

What would be more appropriate than having to do a repair thread?

The ultimate "building/fixing your own guitar" book.

Stuff like this happens, but you never get a chance to see it in published work.

What a challenge!

• Members

I couldn't imagine having that happen to one of my prized guitars.. Adding to that happening to a guitar I've labored months on. What are the repair options?

Is cleating and refinishing the only option? Would replacing the back with a new back be possible? I am not suggesting btw I know nothing of this type of thing I'm just curious.

Archived