Freeman Keller

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:eek::eek::eek:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!1 ! ! !! !11 ! 1! !!!!:cry:

I take it off yeer hands for fifty-dollah :poke:

In all seriousness though, Freeman - can it be saved? I hope so: that little box had some serious mojo before it was even made! :cool:

• Members

But how does that happen?

Did the back shrink?

I would like to know how humidity could do that.

I knew all winter that the humidity was too high in my garage - we'd bring our snow covered cars in and they'd just sit there dripping all night. I even had my hygometer out there telling me it was way too high - mostly around 60 percent, sometimes more.

Then I brought it in for just one week and left it on a stand in the living room (the case I had ordered arrived friday). We were sitting there friday evening and I heard a little "ping", SK said she had heard one earlier. Too bad, it was kind of a pretty little thing too

IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

Sorry 'bout the {censored}ty pictures - my heart isn't in showing off right now.

• Members

So, so sorry, after all the effort, "measure twice, cut once," that's gone into this, which we all could see. So sorry. I hope you know all the friends you have here, I'm just a novice, but obviously a bunch of you have been supporting each other forever. I don't know if the hurt is stronger because you've been sharing the process with your friends and whatever strangers happened to have looked in, but it should be just the opposite; we all appreciate the work that went into this (on some level, since almost no one has had the courage to try it, let alone post regular reports). All of us hope that it's fixable and will be cheering for you as you go. Good luck.

• Members

Freeman,

I feel that I should apologize for my earlier post. I did not intend to make light of your feelings regarding this setback; I just wanted to lighten your mood a little. IMO this talk of throwing such a deeply sentimental labor of love on to a pyre is just too maudlin to let continue. Sorry for my methods; I've been lurking over at GJ a little too much.

FWIW I also feel inadequate in giving you advice on where to go from here, but perhaps all is not lost if you can cleat those cracks and redo the finish. If not, then how hard is it to redo the back only?

It is just the back, right? :confused:

• Members

Oh damn. I know precisely how you feel. I have had the exact experience, right down to the "ping".

I know that you know what the options are so I won't give you any advice other than to say go easy on yourself. It has happened (and will again) to the best of us. The life of a luthier is one of ecstatic highs and devastating lows. I'm feeling for you, brother.

Archived