What is the best all laminate guitar

Crab_Cake

• Members

dread or jumbo

just a workhorse that can be beat to hell.

I don't think my masterbilt w/ its hide glue is going to stand up to heat of where I want to go :D

O and could you guys give me actual models? I know yamaha or takamine but I am wondering about the specific models.

• Members

Yammie F325/335 (335 is the GC special of the 325 - gold tuners, more finish options). Currently $130 at MF. I have the F335 black - nice fit/finish, comfortable neck, good setup, very playable, good strummer, not as good fingerstyle (I use fingertips and don't get as bright a tone as I'd like). Some cheap improvements - try different strings, brass bridge pins, and remove the crappy pickguard on the black model - it's much prettier without.

• Members

A always recommend the Yamaha F-325/335 because of the consistency of the good sound/playability/intonation. I just got an eBay f-335 yesterday. But I don't think they are as structurally tough as a Washburn D10 (not D10S which is solid top). I also have a D10. The D10 would do better on a drop test, at any angle, than the Yamaha. The F-335 I just got has a crack in the top finish where the guitar was apparently dropped on its end. I've seen many F-325/325 in stores which similar damage. I don't think the fit and finish on the Yammie is as good as the Washburn either. But if you pick up 10 new Yammies, chances are all 10 will have good tone and intonation. With other cheap (~$100) guitars I have experienced much more variability.

If I were to choose between my D10 and my F-335, I'd take the D10 (because it's a good one). But if you were to ask me to go buy one right now, I'd get a Yammie because it would probably be right on the 1st try. Both of these guitars can be had on eBay for $75 including shipping if you are patient. Both are good beaters. I will leave my D10 in the car trunk in south Florida for a day.

Scott O

• Members

McKnight makes some double tops and double backs that are supposed to be dang nice...and very expensive...

Also, no such thing as "the best" here in guitar land.

It's all relative.

Price range is usually a good thing to post when you're looking for something.

Specifics, specifics, specifics...

• Members

Hohner makes nice laminates. I have an older model and it keeps up with the solids...As for models, can't suggest one, because mine is too old. But I would play a new one and see how it sounds. Mine is 35 years old and sounding better all the time...go figure (maybe its my playing?)

PS....I changed out the tuners and saddle though. Model HGK599 made in Korea.

• Members

Hohner
makes nice laminates. I have an older model and it keeps up with the solids...As for models, can't suggest one, because mine is too old. But I would play a new one and see how it sounds. Mine is 35 years old and sounding better all the time...go figure (maybe its my playing?)

PS....I changed out the tuners and saddle though. Model HGK599

And if you can get hold of an old Eko they are even better than the Hohner.

• Members

Yamaha.

+1 on the Yammie. You really can't go wrong. My father has a lammy Washburn I bought for him that sounds better then alot of solid guitars. I've played other Washburns and starting to think his was a fluke though. I think Washburn is more hit or miss where as Yamaha belts out the same quality guitar after guitar.

• Members

Yammie F325/335 (335 is the GC special of the 325 - gold tuners, more finish options). Currently $130 at MF. I have the F335 black - nice fit/finish, comfortable neck, good setup, very playable, good strummer, not as good fingerstyle (I use fingertips and don't get as bright a tone as I'd like). Some cheap improvements - try different strings, brass bridge pins, and remove the crappy pickguard on the black model - it's much prettier without.

Yeah, the Yammie is THE lammie...mucho bang-for-the-buck and pretty hard to break!

• Members

When we were moving last year we threw out a lot of scrap wood at the local tip. In the wood container were two guitars, one of which was an old Landola student classical. The machine heads were shot, the strap peg is shot and the body has some scratches (though not as bad as you would think given where it was found!). But when I installed new tuners (I had to drill out the holes to take the new 10mm standard) and put new strings on it sounded better than an all-solid Levin nylon that I was also "re-tune-pegging"! And as it cost me only a few bucks I can have it hanging on the wall and I don't have to worry what the kids do around it.

On the other guitar hook is a Cort all-laminates (borrowed, not ours) with, I think, mahogany neck. Nice slim neck but otherwise nah...

Archived