Thanksgiveing warning

Dan Hall

• Members

I got a call from my brother in law over the weekend and he made a point to tell me that if I was going to deep fry turkey this year to make sure not to fill the pot so it boils over.

The way he put it is, "If that pot boils over, you got a problem", then he went on to say, "In fact, you might under some circumstances say that the whole neighborhood has a problem". I'm not sure what his frame of reference was, he's not a fireman, though he mentioned he'd met some lately.

Anyway, be safe.

• Members

I imagine that if the pot, which is full of oil (flammable stuff, or so I've been told), boils over onto the heating element, which is hot (hmm...wonder why they call it a heating element...), there may very well be some issues :).

On another note, I've never had a deep fried bird before...we always bake ours. I've heard that the deep fried stuff tastes pretty good though. Maybe I'll get around to trying some one of these days.

• Members

The propery way to cook that bird is complicated but the cliff notes read:

Soak for 4 hours in a kosher salt brine (1/2 c salt to 20 qt water)

Smoke only for 2 hours (Alder)

Roast as necessary...

google is your freind...anyone wanna come over next Thursday???

• Members

Yup. It's very tasty.

Anything deep-fried is tasty. And things that are already tasty get tastier. Y'all ever been to the Iowa State Fair? They deep-fry Twinkies--I kid you not. Haven't had one of those, but I did try a deep-fried Snickers bar this past August. A delicacy!

(I have only managed to live this long because I only indulge in such things once a year)

• Members

I imagine that if the pot, which is full of oil (flammable stuff, or so I've been told), boils over onto the heating element, which is hot (hmm...wonder why they call it a heating element...), there may very well be some issues
:)

On another note, I've never had a deep fried bird before...we always bake ours. I've heard that the deep fried stuff tastes pretty good though. Maybe I'll get around to trying some one of these days.

Deep fried is great, but when we moved out to Rancho Testudo, one of the coolest feathures of this 150-or-so year old farm house is the freakin' HUGE outside brick oven/smoker the original owner built right beside the back door...

Last year, I took a wild turkey a couple days before T'giving, so we decided to Shake and Bake it....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good! :thu:

By popular vote, we're doing it again this year...of course, if I don't get another wild turkey in time, a domestic'll have to do (but not Waldo, the turkey I'd bought for that purpose, who my wife and kids have made a pet out of, due to the fact he's smart enough to be charming...:lol: )

• Members

I once knew a family who armwrestled over the wattle!

There once was a girl from Nantucket

Who deep-fried a turkey and stuffed it.

The oil boiled over

The neighborhood took cover.

A fire ensued, but she snuffed it.

Happee Thanxgeeving you all. :wave:

• Members

I imagine that if the pot, which is full of oil (flammable stuff, or so I've been told), boils over onto the heating element, which is hot (hmm...wonder why they call it a heating element...), there may very well be some issues
:)

A guy set his house on fire due to pot boiling over

• Members

I never understood the logic behind putting a cold, mostly fluid-filled, often brine-soaked turkey into a pot of boiling oil. Sounds like a great way to demo the patio roof and trim any exposed body hair, eybrows etc.

Archived