HCAG, please meet Ms Stella

Freeman Keller

• Members

I have a new lady friend, with a long neck, gentle curves and a big deep voice. Down inside she is really an old fashioned girl, simple and strong. Outside, her skin is from the Adirondack mountains and the forests of Honduras, not as pretty as some of the modern girls and much thicker, but with a lovely pale color that she says will tan with age. She doesn

• Members

Wow...that's just too cool, Freeman!

BTW, I meant it when I suggested taking a few of your home-mades to the Guitar Builder's Festival in Fredericksburg someday...they'll fit right in with the rest of the amazing instruments there!

Change%20Guard%20Royal%20Goat%202.jpg

This is worthy of a Royal Goat, I'm thinking!

• Members

Oh. My. Goodness.

We really need a fainting emoticon around here.

Freeman, that is beautiful! If I ever win the lottery I'm PMing you immediately to beg that you make me one :lol:

Will we be hearing a clip from her?

• Members

What a beautiful lady!

Wow! She's a dream.

Is the bridge fixed? Did the originals come with a tailpiece and

a fixed bridge?

I LOVE that tailpiece, BTW!
:love:

Is it stock? Hand-made or Stew Mac?

The bridge is fixed (glued on) and has a maple plate under it. Some of them were pinned, some had tailpieces. I was working on making a tailpiece (remember that I work in a sheet metal shop) and had cut some prototypes out of stainless on our million dollar laser, and was working on making the dies to emboss it. Then I remembered that National Resophonic had made a prototype 12 string reso and I gave them a call - heck yes they'd sell me one.

Actually the originals that had tailpieces could use either ball end or loop end strings. Todd Cambio at Fraulini make a replica, but the National one turned out to be much easier.

One thing that really pained me about the tailpiece is that I had done all this cool mitering of the binding and purfling at the butt joint, then I drilled a hole right thru the purfling and screwed this chrome thing on.

• Members

The bridge is fixed (glued on) and has a maple plate under it. Some of them were pinned, some had tailpieces. I was working on making a tailpiece (remember that I work in a sheet metal shop) and had cut some prototypes out of stainless on our million dollar laser, and was working on making the dies to emboss it. Then I remembered that National Resophonic had made a prototype 12 string reso and I gave them a call - heck yes they'd sell me one.

Actually the originals that had tailpieces could use either ball end or loop end strings. Todd Cambio at Fraulini make a replica, but the National one turned out to be much easier.

One thing that really pained me about the tailpiece is that I had done all this cool mitering of the binding and purfling at the butt joint, then I drilled a hole right thru the purfling and screwed this chrome thing on.

That would sear me, too. Anytime the hard-earned completion of something is masked by a pice of hardware - hinge, etc. - does that to me. Nice work. That pyramid bridge seems to have an odd shape to the pyramids. Or, is that the pic?

• Members

Very nice Freeman!
:thu:

Did you build it from a kit?

Not really. I kind of ordered most of the parts at the same time, but a lot of them I already had. LMI bent the sides and mitered the fretboard, but pretty much everything else was done in my little shop.

It was the subject of the "making sawdust" series. I have enough pictures to do the final installment (finish, assembly, setup) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Here are the first ones

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2184402

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2195828

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32036673&posted=1#post32036673

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?p=32545395#post32545395

Archived