Observations on the VOM1T concept

kwakatak

• Members

It's really taking off and I see that some of the regulars here have really improved over the past year. I also see that there are a bunch of new folks, some of whom are posting professional-level stuff. The former heartens me as I continue to plod along and play for personal enjoyment. The latter kind of makes me feel like a waste of space. Either way, life takes precedence and I'm sitting yet another VOM1T out. Things certainly are changing around here and sometimes I don't recognize the old digs anymore. :idk:

• Members

It's really taking off and I see that some of the regulars here have really improved over the past year. I also see that there are a bunch of new folks, some of whom are posting professional-level stuff. The former heartens me as I continue to plod along and play for personal enjoyment. The latter kind of makes me feel like a waste of space. Either way, life takes precedence and I'm sitting yet another VOM1T out. Things certainly are changing around here and sometimes I don't recognize the old digs anymore.
:idk:

It's a basement jam for some of us and yet another billboard for others. No different than a hot night at an open mike where semi-pros will gather and play.

• Members

Yeah, Joe - I see some folks have come out of the woodwork, put up their vids and don't hang around afterwards either. Kinda like a "real" OM. :cop:

Stack, I got a couple of pre-released vids in the can but I figured that I'd keep from rehashing them on the official thread.

• Members

Stack, I got a couple of pre-released vids in the can but I figured that I'd keep from rehashing them on the official thread.

Not really a problem. It's cool to have something fresh or even something recorded within the last month, but it's not an absolute necessity imo.

• Members

I don't understand. would you prefer an old boys club and new members have to abide according to what you want. Keep things just as they are. No changes. It is a public forum there are 6 billion people on the planet. Some of them are going to end up here.

The latter kind of makes me feel like a waste of space...Why on earth would you feel like that? All things grow and change. You have lots of interesting things you talk about on variuos posts and the VOM1T is fun for new and I would hope old members. These are just songs. Don't take it to seriously.

It's really taking off and I see that some of the regulars here have really improved over the past year. I also see that there are a bunch of new folks, some of whom are posting professional-level stuff. The former heartens me as I continue to plod along and play for personal enjoyment. The latter kind of makes me feel like a waste of space. Either way, life takes precedence and I'm sitting yet another VOM1T out. Things certainly are changing around here and sometimes I don't recognize the old digs anymore.

• Members

Knowing it's not necessarily a contest, I am continually humbled by the outstanding work posted each month, compared to the ordinary covers I do.

I wouldn't say I, or anyone, is a waste of space though. Everyone has their talents for all to enjoy. From the simple strum-alongs (like mine) to the beautiful instrumentals (like gthom). It would get boring if everyone's efforts were of the the same style.

Kwak, you're no slouch. Chin up. Embrace the day. Do what you can. We enjoy your music anytime. It doesn't have to be the second Sunday of each month.

• Members

I haven't been around here as long as you, so I can't comment about the old digs, but I have seen the VOM grow from it's beginning about the time I joined HCAG. Up until a few months ago, I hadn't even considered participating, because I didn't consider anything I did as worth contributing. I feel your pain regarding the VOM. I sit a lot of them out, simply because I don't have anything ready. Progress comes painfully slow for me, considering the time, effort, and pain I put in. Yeah, some of these guys are a hard act to follow.

• Members

Kwak- yeah, we missed your contribution this month. I think of the VOM as an instrument to express ourselves musically in a way that simply talking about gear doesn't allow for. And I grow weary of talking about gear.

Confession: as mistake-laden as all my VOM entries are, none of them are "one take". none of them. There, I admit it.:facepalm:

And yet I still can't manage to get it right.

But I can play out up to 4X/week now if I want to. or, as it turns out, choose from these 4 different places around town. 2 years ago I was paralyzed with fear to play in front of a group.

If somebody wanders in here and drops a bomb, so be it. it's a public forum. no harm; no foul. In fact, it's a compliment to this forum (which the rest of the HC likes to deride) that they want to participate.

And as one of the better players around here, you, more than most of us shouldn't be concerned about the competition. You won't even see them unless you're looking back over your shoulder.

• Members

I recall one participant being told (nicely) he could benifit from lessons. The guy was way better than I probaly will ever be so I guess I can see what you're is saying.

But do we all just want hollow praise?

If my stuff sucks, let me know. I'll either stop pushing it on you or I'll work to make it better, or probably both.

I know we want to be respectful but I think constructive criticism is good among fellow players.

• Members

But do we all just want hollow praise?

If my stuff sucks, let me know. I'll either stop pushing it on you or I'll work to make it better, or probably both.

I know we want to be respectful but I think constructive criticism is good among fellow players.

In my case I already know (my stuff sucks) so if I am doing it just for fun then what's the point.

• Members

In my case I already know (my stuff sucks) so if I am doing it just for fun then what's the point.

To me, that is the point. It's supposed to be fun. It ain't a pissin' contest.

I know I'm not the greatest either, but as long as I don't come off like fingernails on the chalkboard, then I'm going to keep at it.

Besides being fun for me, I enjoy giving others enjoyment.

• Members

Never said I don't enjoy playing. I don't think it would be fun for me (at my level) to do the VOM thing though.

You might be surprised at how much you'd get out of it. I haven't had anyone rip on my playing (yet), and any criticism I've seen is always constructive and well-meaning. Frankly, if someone were to put down someone's playing because of ability, they'd probably be run off the board, and rightly so.

As for the "professional-level" stuff, it doesn't bother me. I love hearing a wide range of music and skill levels and don't feel I have anything to be ashamed of just because I'm not at as high a level as many here. It keeps me inspired and motivated.

• Members

You might be surprised at how much you'd get out of it. I haven't had anyone rip on my playing (yet), and any criticism I've seen is always constructive and well-meaning. Frankly, if someone were to put down someone's playing because of ability, they'd probably be run off the board, and rightly so.

As for the "professional-level" stuff, it doesn't bother me. I love hearing a wide range of music and skill levels and don't feel I have anything to be ashamed of just because I'm not at as high a level as many here. It keeps me inspired and motivated.

+1

well said.

it is worth remembering that those at a senior level were once beginners, too.

• Members

I really want to be a sixty year old rock star with young little things screaming for my autograph. The VOM is just my first step on the way to fame and fortune! I'm currently looking for a manager and publicist. After that, it the sky's the limit. I know I can outsell the Beatles! Just have to hitch a ride to Liverpool and play in a few clubs over there and that'll do it.

In the meantime I guess the HCAG VOM will do....and you can all say you knew me when.

BigAl :deadhorse::D:rawk:

• Members

Never said I don't enjoy playing. I don't think it would be fun for me (at my level) to do the VOM thing though.

I really hope you'll reconsider and post something at the next VOM. It's been cool watching folks get better at playing and recording and vid'ing and all that. It's the next best thing to playing live imo, and it gives us a chance to get together and do what we'd do if we were neighbors -- which is sit around a swap guitar playing and songs and whatnot.

So, like I said, I hope to see you next month! :wave:

Archived