Observations on the VOM1T concept

kwakatak

• Members
Yeah, Joe - I see some folks have come out of the woodwork, put up their vids and don't hang around afterwards either. Kinda like a "real" OM.
:cop:

I'm not sure if this is directed at anyone in particular. I think I may recognize myself in this statement. I won't hide that I like to play electric guitar primarily but I also have a strong and healthy love for my acoustic guitars and I love to play them.

In regards to what I just wrote, it's also true that I hang out a bit more in the other forums but when I come to HC, I check them all out (amps, effects, electric guitars, guitar jam and acoustic and not necessarily in that order). If I feel I have something to contribute in any forum, I do it.

Of all the guitar forums, I think the acoustic guitar forum is the most on-topic of the lot. I respect this characteristic of the forum and I refrain from posting smartass comments. I have the feeling this is why some of you may get the feeling that we (I) post songs and get the hell out, which is not the case.

I'm always here lurking! :cop:

• Members

Well maybe someday...I suppose others could derive pleasure (like watching a comedy) from listening to me twang away.

Don't be so hard on yourself.

There's another guy here, Diceman1000 (I believe) that's only been playing since last April and he posted his rendition of Knockin' On Heaven's Door a couple of months ago. It was professional, but it was damn good for a guy who'd only been playing about 9-10 months. Then he posts a song he wrote.

The point is, he didn't hold back. He dove in and let the chips fall where they may. He'll be the first to tell you that he knows his playing ain't the best, but it didn't stop him from posting.

No pressure though. You do what feels right for you. I'm just sayin....

• Members
I really hope you'll reconsider and post something at the next VOM. It's been cool watching folks get better at playing and recording and vid'ing and all that. It's the next best thing to playing live imo, and it gives us a chance to get together and do what we'd do if we were neighbors -- which is sit around a swap guitar playing and songs and whatnot.

So, like I said, I hope to see you next month!
:wave:

Thanks Chris....I have recorded some songs on my computers (to evaluate) and it's not very pretty but the quality of the recording makes them even worst. So I have some work to do.

Thanks again!

• Members

Well maybe someday...I suppose others could derive pleasure (like watching a comedy) from listening to me twang away.

A very very important side of playing guitar (or music for that matter) is to come out of your comfort zone. Don't kid yourself that pros don't feel the same. If you search around, you'll read plenty of stories in which so-called pros vomit (here's that word again) their stomachs clean before every show. Why do they do it then? Because the good outweighs the bad almost every time.

So what do you do next? Submit a recording next month. This is the perfect place to do it. No one here will tear you apart and once it's done, you'll have that feeling of having achieved a milestone in your life of what is possible.

One last thing. It's a mantra I've always used in my life:

If another human being is able to play guitar at a pro level, so am I.

This can be applied to any human endeavour.

GOOD LUCK!

• Members

Don't be so hard on yourself.

There's another guy here, Diceman1000 (I believe) that's only been playing since last April and he posted his rendition of Knockin' On Heaven's Door a couple of months ago. It was professional, but it was damn good for a guy who'd only been playing about 9-10 months. Then he posts a song he wrote.

The point is, he didn't hold back. He dove in and let the chips fall where they may. He'll be the first to tell you that he knows his playing ain't the best, but it didn't stop him from posting.

No pressure though. You do what feels right for you. I'm just sayin....

I appreciate your encouraging words. I guess it boils down to when I feel comfortable with what I am playing. One problem I have to stop is once I get a song close to sounding good I lose interest and move on. But like I said it's all for fun anyway.

• Members
A very very important side of playing guitar (or music for that matter) is to come out of your comfort zone. Don't kid yourself that pros don't feel the same. If you search around, you'll read plenty of stories in which so-called pros vomit (here's that word again) their stomachs clean before
every
show. Why do they do it then? Because the good outways the bad almost every time.

So what do you do next? Submit a recording next month. This is the perfect place to do it. No one here will tear you apart and once it's done, you'll have that feeling of having achieved a milestone in your life of what is possible.

One last thing. It's a mantra I've always used in my life:

If another human being is able to play guitar at a pro level, so am I.

This can be applied to any human endeavour.

GOOD LUCK!

Just another example of why I hang out in this forum. A lot of cool people here. :)

• Members

I'm not sure if this is directed at anyone in particular. I think I may recognize myself in this statement. I won't hide that I like to play electric guitar primarily but I also have a strong and healthy love for my acoustic guitars and I love to play them.

In regards to what I just wrote, it's also true that I hang out a bit more in the other forums but when I come to HC, I check them all out (amps, effects, electric guitars, guitar jam and acoustic and not necessarily in that order). If I feel I have something to contribute in any forum, I do it.

Of all the guitar forums, I think the acoustic guitar forum is the most on-topic of the lot. I respect this characteristic of the forum and I refrain from posting smartass comments. I have the feeling this is why some of you may get the feeling that we (I) post songs and get the hell out, which is not the case.

I'm always here lurking!

Nice post. I am the same way.

I know all about how many guitars TN Frank has been through, Melodeus' past monikers, free guitar caper stories, Freeman's builds/string tests/bridge pin tests, do3nuts "quotes", Z*ger floggers, and a lot more. It can be interesting, but I really can't add to most threads. I did do a VOM a few months ago, and have listened to all the entries since, but have never added player-by-player comments.

• Members

I'm always here lurking!

I didn't have anybody in mind, really. Sorry if you felt that way.

I guess I'm just going through a stage of burnout and it's causing everything to just lose its luster with me. I do still like to play and off all the forums I check in at HCAG still feels most like "home", but I'm burnt out on other things. I think I really need to take my playing beyond the "virtual" realm and get back out there and hang with real people. Gotta make time for it though.

• Members

Hey Kwak,

In spite of my smart-ss comments before I understand how you feel. All my life I thought I had a lousey voice and was a medicre guitar player. If I couldn't be the best than I didn't want to play in public and have people laugh at me or judge my skills, etc. I was afraid of failure! I probably missed out on so much fun because of that. Today I've got nothing left to prove. If my voice is bad and my playing skills are not the equal of some others, so what! I played in the VOM in February because people wanted to hear what my new git sounded like. It was the first time I've played for others since I was a kid. You know what? I had fun doing that! I tried to record this month but have had a terrible cold and sore throat for the past two weeks. I'll be back on the VOM next month though. If someone doesn't like the way I sound then they don't have to listen to me. It's that simple.

BigAl :thu:

Archived