GAS: seriously thinking "aw f#$k it"...

kwakatak

• Members

Kwak, I know your venting but I would still like to try and talk you down. I saw you play on your video, it sounded great. I did the ask for forgiveness thing, (and I realize it was said in jest) but resentments run deep, and last long. You are struggling with the kids, so you know she is. Don't do it! Make a contract with her that when the kid's reach X age, you get to buy anything you want. This way you have made a decision and you aren't beating yourself up over which bad choice to make. Delayed gratification, and keep doing the nightly giving it up. This too shall pass. One day at a time.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Like most poor guitarist,I have GAS a lot for guitars I cannot possibly afford to buy.I'm also craving a Martin bigtime.I have found a temporary relief of GAS.Find some really bad guitars somewhere, a thrift store,pawn,shop,etc.Try them out and notice how bad they sound and feel compared to yours.Go home and hug your guitars! Like I said,it's only temporary.May have to repeat several times untill you get money to get the guitar you really want.:thu:

• Members

Message received: talk to the wife, bide my time, sell what I don't need and fill the coffee can. That gives me a long-term goal then: get the Martin.

Now which model? The price of a new HD-35 = the cost of a new D-21 Special but a used D-35 is similar to the tone of a new HD-35 at about half the price.

decisions, decisions

Those Yammies are pretty sweet too, but I'm guessing they're kinda like Chinese food? Good enough for now but you find yourself craving some more in a relatively short amount of time?

• Members

Message received: talk to the wife, bide my time, sell what I don't need and fill the coffee can. That gives me a long-term goal then: get the Martin.

Now which model? The price of a new HD-35 = the cost of a new D-21 Special but a used D-35 is similar to the tone of a new HD-35 at about half the price.

decisions, decisions

Any of those are wonderful, but If "I" were buying, I'd want it brand gnew for that lifetime warranty.

• Members

I got my Martin D-35 for under $1,500 when H&H music went out of business two years ago. I had wanted one for a long time and then lo-and-behold it dropped into my lap. Dumb luck true enough, but dumb luck and good deals do happen - especially in this climate.

The Yamahas are very nice guitars, but seriously, you know in your heart that every accoustic player needs a real Martin some time in their life. They are the best accoustic guitars money can buy. If mine was lost or stolen, I'd take couch time to get another.

• Members

Misha, I look just like Kellen Luts, btw...just sayin'.

Kwak, it were me, er, if I were you...er, whatever, I'd go long and get a really good one, a life-timer, up in the $2500 range.

But wait till the divorce is final.

I gotta problem with the spouse/guitar issues I hear about on the forum...IMO, if s/he does'nt like it, and is'nt going to allow you to...you know, be yourself, get a divorce and salvage what you can of your life. No sense in being miserable for 20 years and then getting a divorce...

Good-{censored}ing-grief, it's a musical instrument, it's not like you're selling dope to kids.

• Members

Kwak, it were me, er, if I were you...er, whatever, I'd go long and get a really good one, a life-timer, up in the $2500 range.

But wait till the divorce is final.

I gotta problem with the spouse/guitar issues I hear about on the forum...IMO, if s/he does'nt like it, and is'nt going to allow you to...you know, be yourself, get a divorce and salvage what you can of your life. No sense in being miserable for 20 years and
then
getting a divorce...

Good-{censored}ing-grief, it's a musical instrument, it's not like you're selling dope to kids.

I think you deserve the git too, Kwak!

• Members

I gotta problem with the spouse/guitar issues I hear about on the forum...IMO, if s/he does'nt like it, and is'nt going to allow you to...you know, be yourself, get a divorce and salvage what you can of your life. No sense in being miserable for 20 years and
then
getting a divorce...

+1

Life is not supposed to be a cruel object lesson in self-denial. Everyone deserves to get something nice for himself now and then. Why should a spouse get angry every time a thought of personal enjoyment is acted on? I don't think I could stand an arrangement like that for every long. Someone posted above that "resentments run deep." This is true, but it's also true that they run both ways. It is unrealistic to think that you can just keep pushing back what you want.

Don't even think about buying a Yamaha if what you really want is a Martin. If you do, you will get the worst of both worlds. You will spend money, AND it will be for something you don't want. You will also still have GAS for the Martin.

• Members

Could very well be that the family finances just don't have that kind of disposable freedom?

If it were me I'd gather up everything in the house that could be categorized as excess (save it, you may not need it) and sell it. Heck, families in hard times are routinely doing that to get some temporary relief. Even then by the time I cleaned out the cubby holes and got it all sold off I'd probably stuff it away as emergency money. Times are tough and employment opportunities can't be shaken out of the nearest tree.

Buck up, play what you have and wait for the opportunity to enjoy certain luxuries.

• Members

Sorry for the quasi-rant folks. I'm going through a mild crisis: I'm turning 40 this year, my wife and I'm doing double-diaper duty 12+ hours a day 7 days a week.

You should add a nice dread to your collection at some point. But it should not be at the expense of your relationship with your wife and it should not take money from other areas of your life that are more needy.

Figure out a budget that will let you save up for a good one. It might take a while to get there and the wait will at times be killing you, but it will be worth the wait!

• Members

Every purchase over a coupla hunnered dollas should be discussed and agreed upon for the reasons already mentioned.

Marriage is a partnership.

Yep, and I'm the senior partner. If the shares are split equally in any organization then no one can be in control so it ends up out of control. It has to be a seven-share difference for one to have controlling interest, IIRC. So, without formal marriage by-laws describing the relationship and responsibilities of the partners and fair compensation for each we're off to a bad start.

• Members

Well, as the resident certified credit and financial counselor, I'll say this. Get a budget together, if you can afford the monthly payments as well as all of the other essential bills and the members of the household are in rough agreement, then it should be a go. If it is a stretch, then tuck something into savings. And when I say budget, that means a notebook or spreadsheet with your income at the top and all of your expenses listed out one by one prioritized by importance (mortgage, utilities etc.) Of course the emotional side will eventually lash out and that is exactly what is supposed to happen. Now simmer down and see if the money is there at the end of the month!

• Members

Truly Im not preaching......
1...You have a loving wife and (God willing) healthy kids
2...Lawsuit Tak and others
3...You can play an instrument

Take a step back, .......you have so much that is good in your life.

Yeah ok your (both)tired and stressed but it will get easier, this downturn cant last forever.
Book a babysitter and take the mother of your children out for a nice meal, buy her some flowers.

Go for a walk in the park, lie on the grass and look at the stars.

Buy some new strings and some polish.
TELL HER YOU LOVE HER.

• Members

Kwakatak, if you finally decide to go for one, go straight for a Martin cause you've been talking about it for sooo long. You know what you want so don't lose your time, don't buy anything that is not exactly what you want. Get the real thing (for you) or don't get anything!

Can't you get a Martin and pay ~ 50$ each month until it's completely paid? (You could even teach guitar to a kid and it would pay the Martin!) :idea:

You are a good player! You could teach! People need to learn the basic left hand/right hand techniques, rhythm patterns, chords... You are very good at it. I'm sure you could teach to one or two kids in your neighborhood. Their parents would be happy, the kids would be happy and you would be happy too!

Edit: By the way, I tried a Martin OM-21 today for the first time and it's the most responsive guitar I've ever tried! (Even with old strings on it!) :love:

• Members

Whoa whoa whoa! :eek:

Ain't nobody getting divorced over a damned guitar, so everybody just cool your jets. :mad:

JT, you should know this - as does Melodeus, both of whom I've actually spoken to. Just goes to show why I shouldn't piss and moan about such things. :facepalm:

Archived