GAS: seriously thinking "aw f#$k it"...

kwakatak

• Members

Buy something of equal value for HER!
Have hers arrive first.

Great point! Everything nice I ever bought ended up costing more than double. The cost of the item plus the cost for her payoff gift! And then if you get divorced, you get to buy back half again.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I did that yesterday. Pulled up some hedges and replaced them with some other botanical wonders my wife picked up at the local nursery. It was kinda fun. Does it look better? That's the botanical wonder part of it for me. I couldn't say because I just don't/won't have an eye for that sort of thing. I liked the ripping out part of the effort. Very therapeutic.

It looks better only so far as there's not as many leaves, twigs and deer droppings. We get lots of wind in the winter and are exposed so that all our neighbors leaves end up in our yard. The objective was to prune the whole hedge down to the 5 individual plants that were interwoven along with a Russian sage plant that turned into another leaf trap. Once we get another nice day I'm taking a spade and ripping them all the way out and throwing down grass seed so that when time comes to purchase mulch for all the mulch beds I'll have to buy 3 yards fewer.

As for the top of the hill, things are pretty much clear. I took a hard tine rake and cleared about 2000 sq. yds. of dried grass, raspberry bushes and various weeds. Now I have to bag it all up because the county won't allow us to burn. I still have more to clear out anyway but first things first I'm gonna have to take the blade off the brush cutter attachment to my weed whacker because a plastic trash bag that was buried in all the debris got wound up in it. The final objective is to have a large flat area enclosed by a fence and maybe some shrubbery so that my kids can play outside with any worry of them running out in the street. I may even start a little garden if I find the strength.

• Members

I may even start a little garden if I find the strength.

[YOUTUBE]TPdBiYrNNVw[/YOUTUBE]

Garden Song

by David Mallett

CHORUS:

Inch by inch, row by row

Gonna make this garden grow

Gonna mulch it deep and low

Gonna make it fertile ground

Inch by inch, row by row

Please bless these seeds I sow

Please keep them safe below

'Till the rain comes tumbling down

Pullin' weeds and pickin' stones

We are made of dreams and bones

Need a place to call my own

'Cause the time is close at hand

Grain for grain, sun and rain

Find my way in nature's chain

Till my body and my brain

Tell the music of the land

CHORUS

Plant your rows straight and long

Season with a prayer and song

Mother Earth will make you strong

If you give her loving care

CHORUS

[The Anti-Garden Verses - by someone whose name Arlo forgot]:

Slug by slug, weed by weed

Boy this garden's got me t'd

All the insects come to feed

On my tomato plants

Sunburt face, skined up knees

The kitchen's chocked with zuchinis

I'm shopping at the A&P's

Next time I get the chance

[End of Anti-Garden Verses]

Old crow watching from a tree

He's got his hungry eye on me

In my garden I'm as free

As that feathered thief up there

• Members
Funny. This turned into a lawn and garden thread.
:lol:

Actually, it's bigger even than that - as if home ownership and the costs thereof would be enough to banish thoughts of GAS and the sense of entitlement thereof. I just figure if I fix up the outdoors it'd be more likely for me to take my guitars outside and play under the open sky or the starts and thinking cosmic thoughts like: I'm not much of a musician but under the right conditions music seems to flow through me from someplace beyond my limited little plane of existence.

...anyway, I just figure that maybe a new guitar might just be another "thing" that could weigh me down in the grand scheme of things.

Archived