LF: Beginner Acoustic Help

Melissa82

• Members

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some suggestions on a acoustic I can use. I used to play acoustic when I was 13 for a little bit but then dropped it cuz my teacher made a comment that I took a little too seriously (yes, crazy teenagers overreacting, lol). Then I tried again when I was 18 then my brother decided he would as well and steal the family guitar all of the time. Well, here I am 14 years after I picked up a guitar for the first time and looking to learn again, for the last time.

A little info:

I'm short (5'2) and have little hands

Budget: around $200

Friends that play guitar?: No

I went to a music store today and asked for some help and they suggested the Fender DG-8S package deal but I've been doing some researching and seeing their may be some better options for me.

Thanks for the help! :wave:

• Members

Welcome aboard Melissa! :wave:

Since you've got smaller hands, I recommend some of the Takamines and Ibanez guitars. Though it's just a stretch past your budget, I really like the Ibanez AC30NT, which can be found new for $230-250. I recommend this for a couple of reasons.

It's a small body guitar. Often referred to as a 000, this guitar is nice size and it's not too deep. The nut is a good size. Even though it's a long scale neck, it feels really great. It's also a pretty nice looking guitar in person.

In general, here's what I'd look for ...

Again, just general ideas. You may sit down with a dreadnaught (a wide & deep bodied guitar) and go wild for it. Head down to your local GC and try on a few guitars just for size. Take a notebook and mark down the brand and the model numbers of the ones you like. Try all price ranges, even the ones you know you can't afford. When you find some that feel right in your lap, come back round here with some names and we'll do our best to hunt down something in your price range.

• Members

Yup - Stack has it pretty well covered.

For your budget, I'd recommend a Yamaha FG700S.

Don't let a dreadnought size git intimidate you. I'm a pipsqueak (5'2", 105 lbs) and I've been playing 'dreads since I was 11 years old.

• Members

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I looked up the Ibanez and Yamaha and they don't have any in stock near me. Closest GC that has them is 100 miles away.
:(

What do they have in stock?

You can also order online from Musicians Friend. The QC on those two guitars is pretty good, particularly the Yamaha's, and for $200, there isn't much risk in buying sight (or played) unseen. They also have a 30 day return policy if you don't like the guitar, but those two are pretty good.

• Members
Who is "they"? Musicians Friend? There are other reliable on-line stores as well.

No, guitar center. I'll check out Musicians friend. But, I was looking at GC because they have a store here in Savannah and I wanted to try them out. We also have a Portman's Music Store here but I'd have to call tomorrow to see if they have them.

• Members

No, guitar center. I'll check out Musicians friend. But, I was looking at GC because they have a store here in Savannah and I wanted to try them out. We also have a Portman's Music Store here but I'd have to call tomorrow to see if they have them.

They're owned by the same company (Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend) so the inventory should be basically the same, with variations. I would just go to the Guitar Center and try out as many as you can for purposes of comfort (like the size of the guitar and the width of the neck). Don't worry about playing. It would be helpful if you could find someone who plays (a friend of a friend etc) to go with you. The sales people at GC's are hit and miss, some good, some horrible. They are usually subject to some form of instruction to push one brand or another, so they are usually not entirely on your side. You should be able to tell the differences from one guitar to another.

• Members
They're owned by the same company (Guitar Center owns Musicians Friend) so the inventory should be basically the same, with variations. I would just go to the Guitar Center and try out as many as you can for purposes of comfort (like the size of the guitar and the width of the neck). Don't worry about playing. It would be helpful if you could find someone who plays (a friend of a friend etc) to go with you. The sales people at GC's are hit and miss, some good, some horrible. They are usually subject to some form of instruction to push one brand or another, so they are usually not entirely on your side. You should be able to tell the differences from one guitar to another.

I really would like to bring someone along but I don't know anyone. I'm also new to the city so that doesn't help. Guess I'll just have to try my best to find the one that feels right. :lol:

• Members

I really would like to bring someone along but I don't know anyone. I'm also new to the city so that doesn't help. Guess I'll just have to try my best to find the one that feels right.
:lol:

If you've got a local guitar shop, you might want to go there first. In my experience, the people in places like that are more helpful and more concerned with helping the customer than they are with making a sale.

Folks around here like Yamaha, though I've never played one so I can only recommend them based on reputation. Personally, I like Seagull. The necks are a little wider than standard, though, so you might want to try one for feel before you buy it.

Best of luck to ya :thu:!

• Members

I really would like to bring someone along but I don't know anyone. I'm also new to the city so that doesn't help. Guess I'll just have to try my best to find the one that feels right.
:lol:

You'll probably know it when you play it. Some will just feel better than others, your fingers will feel more comfortable on the fretboard, the size of the neck will seem to fit your fingers, and the size of the guitar will seem to suit you, whether it be a dreadnaught (the standard large size body) or a "Concert", "Orchestra" or "000" models, which are smaller and may be more suitable for you.

Good lucK!

• Members

Hi Melissa82 and welcome!

All good advice so far. If you decide to go the mail order route, check out the financing specials that are offered as well. You can upgrade and get a better instrument for just a few dollars more and put off paying the difference for a couple of months.

Check out Sam Ash as well They carry Washburn, Yamaha, Epiphone and several other other brand names as well.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide!

• Members

:wave:Hey there, and welcome to the forum of people addicted to being owned by their guitars!

The general idea of getting a smaller guitar is a good one. Keep in mind that there are some really nice student quality guitars out there, and one is the Taylor Big Baby. It's around $400 new, but on Craigslist you can find one for a lot less used, and they are really nice sounding guitars. The neck is thin (from the surface of the fretboard to the curved surface on the back of the neck) and the body is thinner as well. My 11 year old son plays one, and it fits him really well. Small hands don't always mean a smaller guitar, but the overall shape of the Big Baby is geared for small hands without shrinking the whole thing down. It's just thinner.

Enjoy the search, consider a used one, since you can get a really good deal that way, and go find a place that has a Taylor Big Baby to try. Even if you don't buy one of those, you can get an idea of how it fits, and go from there.

Good Luck, and Play on!:thu:

• Members

Alavarez makes a few with smaller nut and narrow neck that might fit the bill for small hands. A female friend of mine has one (I don't know the model) that I've played and remember that the neck seemed very small for me. Good luck.

Oh... X2 on the smaller store. You'll get more personalized service and probably be able to get good lessons there too.

• Members

Hey everyone!

I'm looking for some suggestions on a acoustic I can use. I used to play acoustic when I was 13 for a little bit but then dropped it cuz my teacher made a comment that I took a little too seriously (yes, crazy teenagers overreacting, lol). Then I tried again when I was 18 then my brother decided he would as well and steal the family guitar all of the time. Well, here I am 14 years after I picked up a guitar for the first time and looking to learn again, for the last time.

A little info:

I'm short (5'2) and have little hands

Budget: around $200

Friends that play guitar?: No

I went to a music store today and asked for some help and they suggested the Fender DG-8S package deal but I've been doing some researching and seeing their may be some better options for me.

Thanks for the help!
:wave:

Melissa, my gf played as a kid and recently got layed off at work, giving her a lot of free time.

I have many guitars and had her try a bunch, she liked the scale on the Gibson stuff, but my J45 and J185 the body was kind a big.

She called the J45 a boobie crusher:D

Anyway, I asked her if she wanted to hit the Geetar Center and a few other store and give some acoustics a spin.

Well, we end up just buying and trying a Lil Martin for MF. It's rather small but it's really cool, voiced very well. We got the solid top one.

Construction is nice, but the wood is like a counter top:D The scale rather small, almost like putting a capo in the 3rd fret

There's a few other options, in that 200 dollar price range.

The Epiphone EL-00 you may like

Big Baby Taylors are not in the 200 dollar price range new, but you might find a used one out there. Maybe a Seagul or Takamine, or Yamaha would fit the bill too.

• Members

Well, we end up just buying and trying a Lil Martin for MF. It's rather small but it's really cool, voiced very well. We got the solid top one.

Those are cool small body gits. According to the Martin website, it's a modified 0-size.

• Members

take a drive to see my mate Jerry - a luthier in Atlanta and he'll sort you out :thu: .... it's only emmmm 4 odd hours from Savannah :facepalm::lol:

You can safely buy a Yamaha online - their QC is that good :)

Welcome to the forum and congrats on living in a lovely town - I was there a few times myself when I lived in GA.

• Members

The Little Martin is a good price... if you like the guitar. Not one of my favourites. Play it and decide for yourself.

While I usually recommend the FG700S over the FG720S, the deal Galabar has found @ $237.95 is great... especially if you dig one of the colour options. I love the brown sunburst!

Good luck, and keep us informed. I enjoy reading when someone finds a "new" guitar.

Archived