New OM-03 day turns out into a bad day! :(

Misha

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The longer you wait, the more likely they will accuse you of causing the crack.

Another big +1 on this. Contact the dealer ASAP and let them know you found the crack as soon as you got the guitar home and out of the case. Anyway, best of luck getting this resolved. I know I'd be very upset if I were able to afford a guitar like that and then it turned out to be defective.

• Members

It is new, either the dealer or Larivee should make it right. A crack can be expertly repaired such that it isnt noticable. Just dont tlet the shop try to shift blame - it sounds like they did not keep their shop properly humidified. If Larivee doesn't fix it then the shop should. Larivee cannot possibly fault you for improper storage conditions if you have had it such a short time.

Larivee's are great, get it fixed and spend many happy hours together.

• Members

Misha's just here!

I'm still at the office. I've had a crazy day! Nobody showed up on the shift before mine... I did all the job alone! Of course, I didn't get any time to take care of my Larrivee! Usually, we are two per shift and there are two shifts per day. Today, one person was sick, the two others were off. I was alone working my a** off. They started calling at home at 4:30 this morning!

As I said, I'm not worried about the dealer telling me that I broke the guitar but I worry about the fact that they are no longer going to carry the brand anymore. Maybe it was the last OM-03 they had but maybe they have another one at their other location, if I'm lucky!

Tomorrow should be more quiet at the office. I might even be able to call the shop to see what's going on with my guitar. I won't have a lot of spare time for one month, though, because my colleague is on vacation for one month! I'll work for two persons until she comes back. Today, I worked for four...

• Members

Now, I'm going back home! It's 21:05, I've been working since this morning!

I'm going to relax with a good Sangria when I'll be home!

See you later! (I need to catch the bus!) :wave:

• Members

Misha's just here!

I'm still at the office. I've had a crazy day! Nobody showed up on the shift before mine... I did all the job alone! Of course, I didn't get any time to take care of my Larrivee! Usually, we are two per shift and there are two shifts per day. Today, one person was sick, the two others were off. I was alone working my a** off. They started calling at home at 4:30 this morning!

As I said, I'm not worried about the dealer telling me that I broke the guitar but I worry about the fact that they are no longer going to carry the brand anymore. Maybe it was the last OM-03 they had but maybe they have another one at their other location, if I'm lucky!

Tomorrow should be more quiet at the office. I might even be able to call the shop to see what's going on with my guitar. I won't have a lot of spare time for one month, though, because my colleague is on vacation for one month! I'll work for two persons until she comes back. Today, I worked for four...

Sorry you're having such a tough day.

It seems to me that even if the shop will no longer be carrying Larrivee guitars, they should be able to help you replace this one if they are not able - or willing - to give you a refund. All it would take is the cooperation of the dealer and Larrivee - if they want to help you, they can. Worst case, if you don't get the remedy you want, maybe you can try contacting Larrivee directly to see if you can charm them into assisting you (you're quite charming :)). I think the 03 series is still made in Canada.

We're all pulling for you. Good luck!

Edit: By the way, beautiful guitar! It's really too bad there is an issue. If it helps at all (it probably does not), I recently bought a Gibson jumbo and later discovered that it has two small back cracks in the lower bout that probably happened during shipping. I decided to keep it - the thing sounds so great that I was afraid to trade it in for another... But Gibson does not have as good a reputation as Larrivee when it comes to consistency.

• Members

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. I brought a Martin D-16GT. I wasn't watching what I was doing and it blew out of my guitar case bouncing violently on the floor. It developed a noticable crack in the soundboard after this. THIS WAS COMPLETELY MY FAULT!

No matter. C.F. Martin has a very good lifetime gaurantee for original owners. I shipped it back to them and they fixed it, no charge. You can not even see where the split was. The guitar plays beautifully and no more cracks. Most qualified luthiers will simply fix the split rather than ship another guitar which may not sound as good as your first. Surface splits are often seen in older guitars and does not effect their playability and sound. Perhaps the guitar shop has had other problems with the Larivees and so decided not to sell them anymore. My advice? Next time spend a few extra bucks and get the Martin.

• Members

I hope you have time tomorrow Misha to at least call them and report the issue. I hate to beat a dead horse, but time is of the essence here. Each day that passes leaves you more open to counter claims. Just saying...good luck and keep us posted.

• Members

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through. I brought a Martin D-16GT. I wasn't watching what I was doing and it blew out of my guitar case bouncing violently on the floor. It developed a noticable crack in the soundboard after this. THIS WAS COMPLETELY MY FAULT!

No matter. C.F. Martin has a very good lifetime gaurantee for original owners. I shipped it back to them and they fixed it, no charge. You can not even see where the split was. The guitar plays beautifully and no more cracks. Most qualified luthiers will simply fix the split rather than ship another guitar which may not sound as good as your first. Surface splits are often seen in older guitars and does not effect their playability and sound. Perhaps the guitar shop has had other problems with the Larivees and so decided not to sell them anymore. My advice? Next time spend a few extra bucks and get the Martin.

Wow.

Just, wow.

I mean,

Damn.

• Members

I'm back home! Tough day but got through it!
:)

I'm going to write an email to the manager of the music shop right away just in case I'm to busy to call them tomorrow!

Stop what you are doing and just call them....you won't get your answer until you actually talk to someone.

• Members

News, news, news!

1- They are going to take the guitar back if I want to. No problem. Not sure if I can get a refund though. Maybe just a credit because I used a 869$ credit to get it. I didn't ask about that part yet...

2- They knew it was cracked. At least, the regular guy in the acoustic room. When I bought the Larrivee, he wasn't there. Two young men were there instead and they probably didn't know about the issue.

3- I called two reputable luthiers: they both said the crack could be easily fixed without any problem for the future and it wouldn't affect the sound either. They both said it was a good guitar, even with the crack.

4- One of them says it has been a common issue with Larrivee these last years because the demand is increasing and they often don't have enough time to dry the wood sufficiently anymore... He said that was why the dealer doesn't want to carry the brand anymore and the other Larrivee dealer in Montreal is having a second thought about the brand too. (I confirm he is a very reputable luthier, a master luthier who builds nice guitars!) I was surprised when he told me that but it makes sense.)

I'm thinking about what I'll do. I paid 900$ CAD. The lowest price I saw in Canada was 1125$ CAD for the same guitar... in perfect condition.

In the States, though, they go for 849$ USD.

• Members

I finally decided to go for the Larrivee OM-03 I had in mind.

It plays well, sounds great. I put new strings on it and Ebony bridge pins. Everything was perfect until I noticed a crack on the top. It hasn't split yet and I think it could be fixed easily. I don't think I want a new guitar with such an issue though!
:(

It was the last one in the shop (now I know why!) The other one that sounded good too was a Martin 000-16GT (or something like that but instead of 899$ CAD it was 1229 $ CAD and it doesn't have an ebony fretboard.

I don't think they can order a new one because they won't sell Larrivees in the future.

I love this guitar but... I'm sad it's not in perfect condition!
:cry:

I would return the guitar and speak to the salesman about it.

elkabon2.jpg

• Members

FWIW, there are many satisfied Larrivee customers who had similar problems and equally fulfilling experiences with Larrivee's customer service.

BTW, I hadn't heard that Larrivee was having such troubles. Jean Sr. runs his own mill and came into a LARGE stockpile of sitka logs a few years back so I'm kind of skeptical about such a rumor. FWIW my early 2006 OM-03R has been surprisingly sturdy.

• Members

I have heard that Jean Larrivee is one of the best in the world when it comes to choosing wood and yes, I read an article in which Jean had purchased a large stock pile of sweet Sitka. I have a hard time believing once the wood is in the shop that Jean throws in the towel and says screw it. Close enough. I don't think this is what Larrivee guitars is all about??

I say this with an un-biased opinion. Yes, I play a Larrivee but, in this world of trouble, I have never heard a bad word about Larrivee guitars, customer service, poor craftsmanship or mis-trust on any level.

I think your dealer has a humidity problem in his shop and passed it on to Larrivee and I have a question....Why didn't the other 2 sales people know of the crack?? IMO, selling guitars with cracks is a business formula for disaster. I ain't going back to them, again.

Sincerely, I hope your issue is resolved to your satisfaction...the consumer.

• Members

I'm thinking the shop should have it fixed to your satisfaction, on their dime. After all, you like the guitar, other than the crack, and, no, I very seriously doubt that Jean Larrivee would allow a defective guitar to EVER leave his workshop...the man's a consumate artist of the first water.

And once it's fixed, you'll be one happy camper! :thu:

Archived