Unofficial HCAG Annex

Freeman Keller

• Members
Great rendition of CG, Cripes. It's good to hear you playing!
:thu:

Yes, I am playing again. Didn't think of that right off. I think renewed inspiration has come in the form of a diversion to classical guitar. That's why I've been thinking lately that folks must never divest themselves of their various genre (and gear) simply to pursue one. Thanks for the listen and comment on CG.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Cripes,

Great job on Classical Gas. It sounds as if you really are getting a good hold on it. I am envious, as it is one of those songs that I have always admired and never had the ability to play.

RT1:)

Thanks, RT1. Just pretending like I got class is all.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Loved it Samilyn. Great picking on Cowboy and the Dandy. Finally found it at the 4th fret and managed to hang with you on it. ND was also a favorite of mine. I used to rock my youngest sister to sleep listening to him.

• Members

Loved it Samilyn. Great picking on Cowboy and the Dandy. Finally found it at the 4th fret and managed to hang with you on it. ND was also a favorite of mine. I used to rock my youngest sister to sleep listening to him.

Thanks bunch, Cripes. I'm really flattered that you liked it. (Erm...I think you meant "Cowgirl." :poke:

I have no doubt a player like you was able to hang with me. The roll I used is a simple one and your playing is light years ahead of mine.

I'm not very good at it, but I sure enjoy trying to pick and/or strum along with the players here.

• Members
Thanks bunch, Cripes. I'm really flattered that you liked it. (Erm...I think you meant "Cowgirl." :poke:

I have no doubt a player like you was able to hang with me. The roll I used is a simple one and your playing is light years ahead of mine.

I'm not very good at it, but I sure enjoy trying to pick and/or strum along with the players here.[/
QUOTE]

Nonsense. "Players like me" have a tendency to lose perspective quite easily and muddy up an otherwise pleasant song because the fingers want equal time "singing". The roll was very nice and you kept the balance of instrumental work where it needed to be. And, yea, I did mean Cowgirl. No offense, just brain-deadedness.

Again, thanks for submitting and keep 'em coming.

P.S. You have a nice voice. Let it out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I guess I should post this here as well.

Ok so, I feel a need to give some explantion for those recs.

A fellow forumite sent me a tape of his playing, and I sent him a tape in return. All but the last track are from that tape, and were never intended to be used for anything els. I never thought anyone els would hear it, which is why I used a tabletop radioshack cassette recorder, and left all the mistakes on it. The tape these tracks are from often has multiple takes of one song, some talking, background noise due my apartment windows being open. Again, I left the mistakes in.

It was also necissary for me to stop often and practise the songs between takes because I had'nt been playing a lot of fingerstyle at the time, and some of the songs were quite old and had'nt been played in a while. I just recorded whatever song came to mind at the time.

This tape was made late in the summer of '04, I believe. Could've been '05. I was also drinking a lot of coffee at the time...messes up my meter.

The last track was made on a somewhat better recording rig for the HCAG Album that never happened. The first part is a fair example of what I've been up to lately, was played on a fine sounding Martin 000-15S. The second part is another fingerstyle song, played on a new OM-35. I played it cold, first take, after being away from home for a week, so the meter's a little off. Both parts were done the same night while enjoying single malt scotch.

Ellen deserves a big thanks for converting the whole tape, from which these songs came, to digital. As it turns out, that tape is just about the only significant recording I've done in the last 10 years. Indeed, she saved the lost tracks for me. Ellen, thank you.

I never would've made the tape if Knockwood had'nt suggested we exchange tapes. Thanks Knock. And thanks Freeman and Krash for the Annex!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Oops.....sorry for the confusion.....harmonies as in chord structures or chord progressions, not meant as vocal harmonies.

Again, great stuff. You should record more often!

Oh, ok. I sent a bunch of stuff to Ellen and thought for a minute she and FK and I had a mix-up. I still hav'nt gotten to a place where I can listen to make sure the right songs were posted...or listen to the other's music...one of these days.

Thanks, Riff. I like your playing too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Krash has much wisdom. Music is to be shared and once so, should never be taken back.

I was wrong in removing my music from the Annex. I asked Freeman to put it back, and he has done so.

Thank You, Freeman. :-)

And I asked him to add two tunes, a couple of old favorites of mine. I hope you all like them.

As often quoted: "It's all about the music"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

In response to a recent suggestion, I've added two new sections at the Annex for HCAGers to post their own gigs, and upcoming performances by acoustic artists. Click on Acoustic Music on the main menu, and you'll get a submenu with the new links. I'm using a simple form handler that emails me the info, so it'll take a day or so for it to appear on the schedules. Currently, everything that's submitted to the Annex goes thru me or Freeman, and is posted by me. Keeps it nice and clean.

May be some bugs in it (I'm beat tonight) - let me know if anyone has a problem, esp. you Mac users.

Enjoy!

• Members

It's recently come to my somewhat deficient attention that at least one of our esteemed members has been unable to access the Annex using Firefox running on a Mac - the browser locks up. :mad: Problem appears to be the Java app that runs the news scroller, where I post announcements highlighting new music and features. I've set up an alternate homepage that doesn't load the Java app - everything's the same except you don't see the news scroll.

Here's the link -

http://www.thekrashsite.com/hcag/indexns.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks, Freeman, for uploading my two songs. Sorry I forgot to send text with them.

So, just for info.....

Orinoco Flow was my first ever completely solo multi-track recording. All 7 tracks that went into this music were done by me - 2 tracks on keys, 1 track on Martin 12-er, 1 track for lead vox and 3 tracks of backup vox. Had loads of fun putting that one together.

Mountainsong is a very special piece of music. It was written for and dedicated to someone very dear to me. I'll spare y'all a long, sad story and just say that I couldn't bring myself to listen to or play this music for a long, long time.

But the time has now come to share it. I hope it brings joy to the heart of the listener, as the person it was written for once brought joy to my heart.

Archived