Unofficial HCAG Annex

Freeman Keller

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
No, I don't have "thin skin". I also don't appreciate your judgment either.

:confused: Whether you have thin skin, a thick head, or are mad as a March Hare (I, too, have travelled on the dark side), you are a damn fine musician, and if anyone's music deserves to be heard on my website, yours does. Please reconsider and allow me to post it.

• Members
:confused:
Whether you have thin skin, a thick head, or are mad as a March Hare (I, too, have travelled on the dark side), you are a damn fine musician, and if anyone's music deserves to be heard on my website, yours does. Please reconsider and allow me to post it.

Krash, thanks for the kind words.

I am thick headed, but not thin skinned. The latter was uncalled for. I am not mad as a March Hare either.

You'd think that other "musicians" would want to hear "others" music without all the talk of post count, etc. I'd rather not contribute at all than to do so and be slagged because I don't post as much as someone else. Should anyone care to look back through the originating thread, it should be obvious who spearheaded this agenda.

After giving it much thought, I think it best for me not to be included in this. Especially since my post count has dropped significantly. Good luck with the project. You and Freeman have done a great job and should be proud.

Goodbye all.

• Members

Krash, thanks for the kind words.

I am thick headed, but not thin skinned. The latter was uncalled for. I am not mad as a March Hare either.

You'd think that other "musicians" would want to hear "others" music without all the talk of post count, etc. I'd rather not contribute at all than to do so and be slagged because I don't post as much as someone else. Should anyone care to look back through the originating thread, it should be obvious who spearheaded this agenda.

After giving it much thought, I think it best for me not to be included in this. Especially since my post count has dropped significantly. Good luck with the project. You and Freeman have done a great job and should be proud.

Goodbye all.

Well, this is pretty much proof of "thin skin" IMHO. Apparently you missed, or choose to ignore, the explanation about post counts. They were, originally, proposed to be a requirement for the CD, not the Annex.

For you to get your panties in a bunch, pull out of posting music on the Annex, and what seems to be here as well, looks pretty damned childish to me.

Freeman and Krash have gone through a hell of a lot of work to make this happen. I'm personally proud to have my attempts posted, especially considering the quality of the other music posted. Yours should be among them but it's your choice.

The drama really isn't necessary.

• Members

While we're on the subject of mad musicians, has anyone heard from Cripes? We're sitting on 6 original songs that he submitted to Freeman, then "withdrew from the project" and dropped off the board without further explanation. :freak:

• Members

Well, on the bright side, I just posted the first electric music - 2 originals by Mr. Nick Nasty, a fellow refugee from the old g.com board. If you like electric music (and even if you don't) give 'em a listen.

A very strange man.

• Members
After giving it much thought, I think it best for me not to be included in this. Especially since my post count has dropped significantly.

Yo! Send Freeman some mp3's!

Sorry there have been some misunderstandings. I will cut to the chase and simply tell you that you are more than welcome here! :)

• Members

Just a question: how much of a hassle would it be to "trade up" on a recording of a "work in progress?" I have a few tracks I'd like to submit but I'm not 100% in love with them and may re-record at a later date.

Neil, that is very easy as long as the title stays the same. I can just upload the new version to the same folder under the same name and the links should work. I've already done this once.

Each of you has your own folder and it is very easy to add songs to it. It makes managing the music a whole lot easier too, when Weleetkaoutlaws wanted his music pulled I just zapped his folder.

• Members

Thanks, Freeman!

I'll have to do some renaming then; I put a date code in the file name on all my works in progress just to gauge my improvement. I've got a whole bunch that I'd like to have you throw into my folder.

Sheesh! I think I may be ready to burn my own album - mostly covers though I do have a bunch of originals in various stages of completion. Too bad the quality's crap on the recordings I've already made since I can't find the sweet spot with the mic.

...or maybe I just need to get a life! ;)

• Members

In some cases I renamed the files to the song titles (I think I did that with yours, Neil) so as long as I rename the new ones everything will be good. One of these days I'm going to go back to each one, load it into a program that lets me insert the song and performer's name into the mp3 itself - that way you will get the title information whenever you play it.

It is also possible to get Krash to link any new or revised songs - I just need to give him the info.

One last thing, while I was researching the whole issue of covers I have some links to music copyright information - songs that might be in the public domain and a database of who holds copyright to many songs. In many cases if you want to release a copyrighted cover all you have to do is make a contribution to the holder, and often it isn't too much. We sidestepped the whole thing here under the premise that nothing is for sale so basically we are just playing the songs in a (free) public venue. If my ass gets hauled into court because of your copyrighted cover we'll have words, 'bro LOL. Actually, if legal action was ever taken we will just pull the covered song off the site.

• Members

Don't worry, Freeman. They'll never be able to put together a jury of your peers. You are one of a kind, Sir.

My wife is a court clerk and you would be surprised at what goes on between the two sides to create "a jury of peers". She says it is really interesting to see them trying to build bias into the jury. And serving on a jury is a whole 'nother experience..... don't miss it if you get the chance.

• Members

My wife is a court clerk and you would be surprised at what goes on between the two sides to create "a jury of peers". She says it is really interesting to see them trying to build bias
into
the jury. And serving on a jury is a whole 'nother experience..... don't miss it if you get the chance.

I've been a jury captain twice....nothing like dissagreeing with the other jury members and working on facts and logic rather than emotions.

But while I'm here...and we are talking about copywrites...If I post original songs I have written, can anyone just take them?

• Members

I've been a jury captain twice....nothing like dissagreeing with the other jury members and working on facts and logic rather than emotions.

But while I'm here...and we are talking about copywrites...If I post original songs I have written, can anyone just take them?

I am the last person to ask a legal question, but here is one link to information about copywrites on music. I'm sure that a little Googling would give you lots of information.

http://www.harryfox.com/public/songfile.jsp

• Members

My brother is an entertainment lawyer. When I asked him about this he said that whoever wrote the song already legally has the copyright. Applying for a legal copyright would mean more money in case of a lawsuit, but as long as you can prove that you wrote the song the song is yours. All of the original tunes I posted I first recorded on a CD and mailed the CD along with printed lyrics sheets to myself and they are all dated and stamped in multiple places by the nice folks at the post office. The CD and lyrics are in a manilla envelope which the post office sealed with brown paper tape and stamped so that it is an unboken seal. The envelope was "mailed" priority mail and delivery confirmation (they will log it in, charge you the appropriate fees and then just give it back to you as delivered) and the envelope with its contents and receipts are stored in case I ever need to prove that I wrote them. My brother assured me that in the (highly unlikely) event that someone "stole" my song and recorded it, I would be able to sue and establish that the copyright is mine.

• Members

My brother assured me that in the (highly unlikely) event that someone "stole" my song and recorded it, I would be able to sue and establish that the copyright is mine.

+1 I'm pretty sure this is correct. When my band made a CD a couple years ago, we were told by the studio we recorded at that sending yourself (or whoever) a copy of all the stuff is sort of like the "lowest" form of copyright. Because if the material is yours and this is the first time you send it off anywhere, once you've got it all stamped and dated by the post office, there's no way for anyone else to prove they had it earlier.

The issue now is with the internet. I put my music on my website long before I ever actually mail it anywhere. So technically I'm taking a big risk in putting my music up there because any Joe Schmoe could go up and transcribe it and call it his. But that's an issue for another thread.

Ellen

• Members

+1 I'm pretty sure this is correct.

Looks like I'm off to the PO.

That is after I burn a cd and type and print out all the lyrics...man, that could take a while...worth it though.

I am working(well not technically working) with a local talent and submitting him some songs to throw on his next album. So this is probably the right time to do this....thanks for the input everyone.

• Members

It's my understanding that the mailed envelope-type copyright will not hold up in court. The simple explanation is that you could mail yourself an unsealed envelope any time -- then fill it later, seal it, and claim it was all packaged on the postmark date.

The legal validity of the 'poor man's copyright' is urban legend. Just Google to learn more.

• Members

It's my understanding that the mailed envelope-type copyright will not hold up in court. The simple explanation is that you could mail yourself an unsealed envelope any time -- then fill it later, seal it, and claim it was all packaged on the postmark date.

The legal validity of the 'poor man's copyright' is urban legend. Just Google to learn more.

I got this from my brother who worked for years in entertainment law. The envelopes are not just sealed, they are taped and stamped. When I asked the folks at the post office to do this, they already knew how to do it and said they have done it before. My brother said that this method protects your copyright but if it were litigated there are extra penalties you could sue for only if you went throught the legal copyright process - which costs $45.00per song. I have written 20 songs and plan to write more and what I have written so far has not generated any interest so I don't see myself investing that much money for the full copyright protection.

• Members
I got this from my brother who worked for years in entertainment law. The envelopes are not just sealed, they are taped and stamped. When I asked the folks at the post office to do this, they already knew how to do it and said they have done it before. My brother said that this method protects your copyright but if it were litigated there are extra penalties you could sue for only if you went throught the legal copyright process - which costs $45.00per song. I have written 20 songs and plan to write more and what I have written so far has not generated any interest so I don't see myself investing that much money for the full copyright protection.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It does make more sense if the date is somehow stamped across the seal. And it certainly helps that the post office is in on the operation.

My current method is to write songs that no one would ever want to steal.:cry:

Archived