Unofficial HCAG Annex

Freeman Keller

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

Just posting this here for the luthiers and interested members. If you follow this link please scroll down through the products until you come to stringed instrument lacquer. Scroll further down from there until you see the flattening agent for the lacquer. Many on this forum are of the opinion that the semi-gloss and gloss finishes can each have an effect on the tone of the guitar and that isn't true. The semi-gloss finish is a normal glossy finish with an additive that is a silicate particulate treated with a wax. In the curing process the silicate is borne to the surface by the wax component in a very fine film. Due to the imperfect shape of the silicate particulates they refract light giving a semi-gloss appearance. Again, the surface film is very thin and explains why it can be buffed off fairly easily by normal use and handling. Buffing does not put a shine on this film but rather removes it entirely exposing the normally glossy substrate beneath it. There is nothing about the tone of guitar that can be changed by the molecular differences between gloss and semigloss finishes. That's just the stuff of urban legend.

http://www.meritindustries.com/lvf.htm

Freeman, if you catch this and consider it useful please put the link in the tech section of the Annex. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

To keep the amount of songs up to scratch on the HCAC Annex, I asked Freeman and Krash to post some of my songs there, which they did within quite a short time (thanks!).

Laurent

Very nice style and playing. I had to make a 500 mile round trip today and this would have made the trip a helluva lot less tedious. Thanks.

• Members

Firefox crashed on each attempt to play the Quicktime audio.

IE worked, though.

Good stuff. Very interesting and unusual. melodic and complex. All original and each very different from the others.

thanks for sharing this music. :thu:

all the best,

-Q.

• Members
Firefox crashed on each attempt to play the Quicktime audio.

IE worked, though.

Good stuff. Very interesting and unusual. melodic and complex. All original and each very different from the others.

thanks for sharing this music.
:thu:
all the best,

-Q.

You have put some pretty complicated arrangements there as well yourself. Nice choice of music!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Some of my stuff up there now, thanks Freeman and Krash!

I like that guitar arrangement in 'Rut', not just standard strumming. Rhythmically very tight as well.

'Eden' is a good song as well, nice effects!

• Members
I like that guitar arrangement in 'Rut', not just standard strumming. Rhythmically very tight as well.

'Eden' is a good song as well, nice effects!

Thanks man!!
Rut is just one guitar track....I get told I sound like two people alot.
Eden was a foray into what I wanted to be a kind of acoustic ambient dance type thing,the effects are actually notes on my prs electric, I tuned the guitar to sound harmonics as the notes I wanted.... but it came out like a kind of acoustic rock thing...oops.

I'm working down the list listening to all these folks, I'm looking forward to getting to yours!:thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey, Sam, just listened to "Canyons" - what a beautiful song. Are you playing recorder or is that keys?

I'm trying to forget that you once spoke of giving up music.
:eek:

Thanks, m'dear. I'm so glad ya like it.

Yeah, I damn near gave up music, but gave up on men instead.....LOL

Nope, not playing flute or recorder - both were victims of the infamous bonfire. Everything aside from the git is done on my ancient Yammie keys. Same with the piano track in "Child in a Garden".

Sample rate on the old Yammie is pretty good so I rely on it for everything aside from the git.

Edit: Additionally, Canyons and Child in a Garden are two recordings done with someone else's git - a sweet old 1966 D-28. (Never thought I'd see the day that would happen!) Canyons has two git tracks - the second track that fades in after the intro has a little chorus dialed in.

• Members

The new songwriting feature is up and running in the Members' Music section. Was going to wait til July 1st, but we've already got our first song from Michael Martin.

As always, comments/suggestions are welcome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Man, these file sharing sites are a pain in the ass, but I got your mp3. I like it - you have a good singing voice, and your playing is pretty good for a short timer. I've been playing 40 years and still have trouble getting through a song without missing a few chords. Surprisingly good recording quality off that iPhone. What kind of guitar are you playing?

Post an avatar and I'll put you on the Annex.

• Members

Man, these file sharing sites are a pain in the ass, but I got your mp3. I like it - you have a good singing voice, and your playing is pretty good for a short timer. I've been playing 40 years and still have trouble getting through a song without missing a few chords. Surprisingly good recording quality off that iPhone. What kind of guitar are you playing?

Post an avatar and I'll put you on the Annex.

I have an avatar now and it is on my beloved Yamaha FG700S

Thanks a lot

Archived