Building an acoustic collection

emuhunter

• Members
im not sure if id jump into making a collection too quick - just get two guitars ( one boy and one girl )--- they breed !

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!! Greatest news I've heard in a long time... I wonder what kind of babies a J-45 and, say, an 000-18 GE would pop out. I predict a Santa Cruz! :love:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would think,

A dread either Gibson J45 or Martin D28
A 000 Jumbo shape like Martin 00028
Something short scale and small body like Gibson LC1
A parlour guitar. Modern ones today are fantastic.

One of numbers two or three to be electro acoustic so you could record or amplify

• Members

I don't believe in needing several guitars to cover everything (acoustic OR electric).

I could get by with a nice grand auditorium like a Taylor 414CE or Taylor 814CE (if I want more bling) to cover all of my steel string acoustic needs.

What type of music do you play?

of course one good acoustic can cover many things, but collections arent meant to be sensible or even practical! lol

• Members
I could get by with a nice grand auditorium like a Taylor 414CE or Taylor 814CE (if I want more bling) to cover all of my steel string acoustic needs.

At a very minimum, I'd want one 'real' guitar and one travel guitar. Just having one real guitar will not cover my guitar needs.

But having 2 'real' guitars --one dread, one 000-- and one travel guitar would be even better. :) I actually prefer this way than having many guitars... less guitars = more connection.

• Members

At a very minimum, I'd want one 'real' guitar and one travel guitar. Just having one real guitar will not cover my guitar needs.

But having 2 'real' guitars --one dread, one 000-- and one travel guitar would be even better.
:)
I actually prefer this way than having many guitars... less guitars = more connection.

I have owned as many as 8 guitars at one time, yet I always found myself playing one of them 90% of the time.

I would also like to own a nice classical guitar.

I don't travel by plane often enough to need a travel guitar.

• Members

I play out alot and am a guitar for hire in several different bands. If I was only playing my bedroom 1-2 guitars would probably do it BUT when I go from playing swing-jazz to delta blues to bluegrass(fiddle tunes) to open tuning fingerstyle to chicago blues one or 2 guitars just will not do..same thing for studio musicians. It helps to be versatile with your sound imo..

It is just a matter of needs/tastes.

• Members

Here is a suggestion never wind up with a bunch of damn guitars (see Mah Gear). You wind up confused as hell when you wanna play one. All of mine get ample play time but I feel like they take away from progress with technique because based on the style of guitar I am playing I have to adjust my patterns accordingly. Kind of like playing 5 sports and only being okay at all of em.

• Members

Here is a suggestion never wind up with a bunch of damn guitars (see Mah Gear). You wind up confused as hell when you wanna play one. All of mine get ample play time but I feel like they take away from progress with technique because based on the style of guitar I am playing I have to adjust my patterns accordingly. Kind of like playing 5 sports and only being okay at all of em.

I find that part of the fun of owning a fair number of guitars. I have to learn how to best bring out the attributes of each guitar, and I think that makes me a more versatile player. I'd rather be decent in a number of styles, than to be a one-trick shredding/fingerpicking pony.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

Kind of like playing 5 Sports and only ok at all of them

I Richt :lol: we all believe ye :p

• Members

I posted something along these same lines today in the electric forum and I was thinking "hey, I wonder what the acoustic equivalent would be..."

What 3-4 acoustic guitars would you pick to play any and everything?

I should say I'm trying to put together a nice collection for myself, and thus far I have two Gibbys: a J-45 and a J-30. What would you add to that collection to round things out?

You already have 2 flat-tops.

I think every collection needs an arch top with a magnetic pick-up, a'la a Godin Kingpin, Michael kelly or Gretch Synchromatic.

I think everyone needs a classical too. And a lot of folks (not me), think a 12-string guitar is essential to an acoustic guitar collection.

• Members

I find that part of the fun of owning a fair number of guitars. I have to learn how to best bring out the attributes of each guitar, and I think that makes me a more versatile player. I'd rather be decent in a number of styles, than to be a one-trick shredding/fingerpicking pony.

Cheers,

Glenn

Yeah I guess my problem is I don't do lead at all. I play rhythm exclusively (mostly because it is more fun to me). So I only need 2-3 to really satisfy all my needs unfortunately I am a bargain hunter who doesn't know when to stop.

• Members

Then just find a wife.

If that still doesn't stop your GAS, then God help you!

My wife is a musician, and loves my guitars as much as I do. When I mention I might sell a couple of them, she doesn't really endorse the idea. She names them all. :confused:

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members
My wife is a musician, and loves my guitars as much as I do. When I mention I might sell a couple of them, she doesn't really endorse the idea. She names them all.
:confused:

Cheers,

Glenn

My girlfriend was pissed when I traded my Nagoya away. The day I got it back she was more excited than I was. :facepalm:

Sincerely,

AkA The Flower Girl

Archived