How do I record my guitar onto my laptop?

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

My initial inclination would be to use a 1/4"-to-1/8" adapter to plug your guitar's cable directly into the mike input on your sound card/computer. Bear in mind that I have not tried this and don't even know if it will work. The pickups in your guitar might not have enough output, for one thing. As for free recording software, Audacity is well regarded and more than adequate for my humble needs.

• Members

I just got a laptop, and I want to record some of my guitar playing. I want to use my Parker plugged into the computer, using its pickups to capture the sound. What do I need to plug it into the computer? Also, what is some good free recording software? Thanks.

Easy & Cheap way:

wegc.jpg

+

16j412.jpg

I don't know any free software.

• Members

Marcellis solution will work if you have an active PU.

But still, it will sound like... ummm... well, let's say that it will leave some things to be desired.

I would go for a Zoom H2 or a USB condenser mic and then use Audacity.

• Members

You will likely not be happy with your results. Under-saddle pickups are great for live performances, but do not sound natural when recorded. Additionally, most laptops do not have very good sound cards and the recording may have more background noise and hiss than is acceptable.

For these reasons, many will buy a USB microphone, or a converter that converts a microphones output form analog to a digital USB signal.

If you are ok with lower recording fidelity, the cables mentioned above will be ok. The road you are starting on is one most have us have already made.

A popular solution is to simply buy a portable recorder with decent built in microphones. The recording is then simply imported into your laptop. Zoom makes several that are very good and reasonably priced.

There are several free recording packages available. Garageband for the Mac, Cubase for the PC. I am sure there are others, but these two come to mind.

• Members

There are several free recording packages available. Garageband for the Mac, Cubase for the PC. I am sure there are others, but these two come to mind.

I didn't know CuBase was. It's free with the purchase of a number of devices, but I don't think it's free like Audacity is free.

If it is, let me know where I can pick up a copy as I am using the original CuBase LE version and would love to get to ver 4, at least.

• Members

The 1/4" to 1/8" adapter idea is probably the cheapest one. Most laptops have a mic port---it's usually red or pink. Just plug into that and use something like Audacity to record.

My only concern about doing it that way is that there might not be enough gain to record properly. I suppose you could always amplify after the fact with Audacity, but then you'll be amplifying any background noise/hiss too. Finding a way to boost the gain before you plug in to your computer would be ideal. MF sells ART tube preamps for $30 . . . that would do the trick :thu:!

• Members

I was happy with the free version of Ableton. At least for a couple of weeks. :)

Audacity is great for free, but I thought Reaper was worth the extra $50. I haven't looked at either in awhile tho', so I'm sure they've both been improved.

I'd just bite the bullet and get an interface.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/1988828867.html

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/msg/1939491629.html

IMO you'd be fine just plugging in for now. Once the signal is ITB, you can tweak to taste. It won't be as purty as $2k worth of mics and pres, but it's a good place to start.

• Members

The Parker has a built-in preamp, so I'm not worried about the signal not being powerful enough. And at the moment I'm not so concerned with sound quality, as I'm initially more interested in using it as a practice tool, to be able to listen back and to see where I am strong and weak in my playing. I do plan to eventually record with the intent of sharing it with others.

• Members

16j412.jpg

I don't know any free software.

I'll second this ^ + Audacity freeware to start.

You'll want the insrument cable anyway so the only loss is the $2 adapter which you can throw in a drawr until you have another need for it someday for something else. The adapter shown is a TRS, you'll need the mono adapter that only has one back spacer like the instrument cable plug.

None of us has made our last musical purchase so it probably won't be yours either but this will get ya started.

• Members

I'll second this ^ + Audacity freeware to start.

You'll want the insrument cable anyway so the only loss is the $2 adapter which you can throw in a drawr until you have another need for it someday for something else. The adapter shown is a TRS, you'll need the mono adapter that only has one back spacer like the instrument cable plug.

None of us has made our last musical purchase so it probably won't be yours either but this will get ya started.

I'll add to this that that 1/8 inch TRS is a stereo plug. If you spend a little time and effort on adapters, you can have two channels, left and right, into Audacity. That's mighty handy.

Rat Shack used to sell an adapter that adapted a single 1/8 inch male TRS to two female RCA (or maybe two female 1/8 inch TS). You can still find them. Get a couple of adapters to connect those to 1/4 inch, and you can plug two instrument cables into the computer.

Archived