Inaccurate TABS Piss Me Off.....

starfire_Xes

• Members

Well, this is just an annoying problem I have, but I want to know, if anyone experiences the same thing I do with tabs. 1) Most tabs are extremely inaccurate, either written in the wrong key, or they exhibit 'Fretboard Knowledge Deficit' . That means, a lot of songs that can be played in standard tuning, people will either put a capo on to make it easy or they will tune the guitar out of standard tuning. Now, I guess that is OK, but I have found that even very complex songs can usually be played in standard tuning. (OK, there are exceptions, songs that are specifically written for the guitar in a non-standard tuning.) A couple of examples are the song 'Yellow' by Coldplay, which is in the Key of B. I must have found 10 transcriptions for this song that use either a Capo or are written in the wrong key. And it is a simple song that can be played by any fool with knowledge of their fretboard in standard tuning. Another example is 'The Rain Song' by Led Zepplin. I have seen this song tabbed in the wrong key, tabbed with the wrong tuning, tabbed for capo, and tabbed in standard tuning, none of which I think was correct. On the album, I really do think it is in a non-standard tuning, but nonetheless I can play it perfectly in standard tuning, and the only thing that is missing that the album version doesnt have is the big string squeaks.

So what bothers me is that I waste a bit of time, using an incorrect tab. Now, I know, this simplified methods help people that aren't advanced. on the other hand, they also hamstring one's development as a guitarist if one uses them as a crutch. OK, so does anyone agree a bit with my analysis, or am I just being anal?

I adg to this, most of the cheat tabs and incorrect tabs I've seen sound like crap compared to the standard version.

• Members

A bit of both. I agree and you're being anal. :)

Knowing that they're submitted by the average Joe, I take each one with a grain of salt.

If there are a bunch to choose from for a song I have no idea how to play, I'll look at an easy one first and go from there. But if I know a particular song is played in a particular key, I'll ignore the tabs that aren't what I expect.

• Members

Both of you have good points. I certainly learned a lot from bad tabs, but usually I just chuck them and either ear it out, or find another tab. At this point, i would be perfectly happy to have sheet music, but then the commercial crap is bad too. Probably the thing I dislike most, though it is easy to correct, is things tabbed in the wrong key. That is a real time waster. In any event, when I learn songs, I dont do anything at first with music, I just put it on and stroke the rhythm out first with the strings muted until I know the rhythm of the whole song. I usually dont look at the music until I know the song feel really well.

Well, I got sidetracked. Still, I wonder sometimes if some tabbers have ears, with some of the gross errors I find.

• Members

Both of you have good points. I certainly learned a lot from bad tabs, but usually I just chuck them and either ear it out, or find another tab. At this point, i would be perfectly happy to have sheet music, but then the commercial crap is bad too. Probably the thing I dislike most, though it is easy to correct, is things tabbed in the wrong key. That is a real time waster. In any event, when I learn songs, I dont do anything at first with music, I just put it on and stroke the rhythm out first with the strings muted until I know the rhythm of the whole song. I usually dont look at the music until I know the song feel really well.

Well, I got sidetracked. Still, I wonder sometimes if some tabbers have ears, with some of the gross errors I find.

So how many songs have you tabbed - correctly of course, with permission from the artist (including copy rights), and both in tab and standard notation including correct timing of all the note? Oh, and include a fingering chart for all the chord and timing for the quarter note.

I don't mind paying for professionally done tab from someone like Mark Hanson - its a lot of work and the tabber deserves to be paid for it. You get exactly what you pay for.

Back in the old days many of us learned from listening to records (yeah, those things) and watching other players play. If we were lucky someone would show us a lick or two. We didn't need no stinkin' tab.

• Members

Well, not to be a dick, but jeezum man, that's a lot of complaining about things that are freely offered. There are many different skill levels and when someone puts together an arrangement that they think sounds correct, they upload it and allow you to have access for free. If you don't like the tabs, then it just seems awfully ungracious of you to complain about the quality and accuracy of a something that you obtained at no cost.

If you want a tab that is just like the original recording, then you might have to pay for it. I seldom use tabs, but when I do, I am grateful for what I get. It is not unusual for me to find out the tab is not 100%. I will either look for a different tab, or just work on fixing the tab that I downloaded for free.

In many cases, the original artist sells the tab. If you want to make sure it is accurate, that is probably your best bet.

• Members

Yes I agree....and I'm grateful to people who put tabs up.

Being pissed off by inaccurate tabs is kind of like being pissed off if you ask someone how to play a song and being pissed off when they show you how they do it and it isn't exactly like the original.

• Members

Lordy, lordy, I remember the days when there were no tabs! If you wanted to learn to play a song you listened to it over and over and experimented until you got it (as close as you could).

The first song I "tabbed" was Sisters of Mercy by Leonard Cohen (lots of bumps on that old vinyl) - I didn't get it quite right but I still play it the way I learned it. WTF.

• Members

Professional tabs are a tool for learning a song correctly, as quickly as possible. When i was in a band, I would often buy the authorized tab because of time restrictions. The internet tabs you get are more or less an opinion of someone with unknown skill levels. You get what you pay for. A person with medium skills can get a tabbed song and if you can get the overview, the rest will come easier.

• Members

...Another example is 'The Rain Song' by Led Zepplin. I have seen this song tabbed in the wrong key, tabbed with the wrong tuning, tabbed for capo, and tabbed in standard tuning, none of which I think was correct. On the album, I really do think it is in a non-standard tuning, but nonetheless
I can play it perfectly in standard tuning, and the only thing that is missing that the album version doesnt have is the big string squeaks....

I'd like to see/hear that.

• Members

At this point, i would be perfectly happy to have sheet music, but then the commercial crap is bad too.

I don't know, man. Professionally transcribed sheet music (which often includes tabs! :idea:) is usually really close, unless it is simplified on purpose (which it often is.) I learned a complicated Brad Paisley solo (with all manner of weird harmonics, squeals, and G-bender work) from a professional transcription and it was a breeze. Any inconsistencies I encountered were entirely the result of a difference in interpretation of the solo between myself and the transcriber.

• Members

Well, thanks everyone for setting me straight! Yea, you are right I was being anal about stuff that is free....now to answer some questions. Tabs are occasionally ok for quickly learning songs, that's why I use them, especially when there are odd voicings or really fast passages that are hard to catch. But i started playing in 1973 and there weren't any, it was all friends showing stuff and wringing it out by ear, or putting it on a tape deck and slowing it down to learn a lick, etc. In hindsight, that was really good ear training. So I guess for the present I cannot complain about the tabs that are available. And also, I do buy transcribed stuff that is professionally done, some of it is good.

As for the rain song, I can tab up my acoustic version, for anyone who wants to see it. Probably record it too in the next few days. (The reason I am so familiar with it is I started learning it in 1975.)

• Members

As for the rain song, I can tab up my acoustic version, for anyone who wants to see it. Probably record it too in the next few days. (The reason I am so familiar with it is I started learning it in 1975.)

But how do we know it will be right? :poke:

:lol: Just kiddin'.

Archived