Tommy Emmanuel - CGP

Freeman Keller

• Members

Got to see Tommy Emmanuel in a small venue in Seattle on thursday - if you ever ever ever get the opportunity, do so. The show is one third incredible guitar playing (mostly Travis style but one flat picked song on steroids), one third Tommy as a showman, and one third making the acoustic guitar do things it was never designed to do - his final song, Initiation, simply cannot be described in musical terms.

Following day we visited the Experience Music Project (Paul Allen's creation) at the Seattle Center. EMP features a large display dedicated to Jimmie Hendrix - I told my wife after watching both Tommy and Jimmie that she had seen both acoustic and electric guitars pushed about as far as possible.

• Members

Freeman - i got to see Tommy about a year and a half ago in Rochester New york -( another visitor at that show was Neil Diamond - he had a show in Buffalo the following day ) Tommy's so darn good , you want to either practice when you get home or quit playing the guitar all together -he plays like three really good people at the same time -cant believe anyone could play like that. Pierre Bensusan is going to be in buffalo in March -thats going to be a humdinger as well ! Been wanting to see him for a long time .

• Members

I saw him in May 2010 with the Frank Vignola Trio opening for him. Tommy is certainly a showman and truly looks like he loves what he is doing. It was a stellar guitar night. Both Frank & Trio and Tommy jammed at the end and it was insane. Tommy is no slouch at any style of guitar playing. If you haven't seen the Frank Vignola Trio I highly suggest you do.

• Members

Saw Tommy a few years ago and was amazed! I am going to see him again this Friday night and can't wait. Like Tony said above, you either want to practice harder or quit guitar and take up the kazoo......but I would probably only be average at that too. Last time we went you could get to meet Tommy if you bought his CD and we didn't do it. This time I will. Just wish I could take one of my gits for him to sign. Hmmmmm.....maybe I will invite him over for dinner and a little jam session......I am sure he likes comedy....

• Members

Saw Tommy almost 6 years ago and I'm in dire need of a fix. I envy all you guys who've seen him more recently.

Freeman, how long did "Initiation" go? When he played it here in Pittsburgh he said that it was constantly being written. I liked it. It's sort of like Pink Floyd with an Aboriginal vibe.

• Members

I saw him in May 2010 with the Frank Vignola Trio opening for him. Tommy is certainly a showman and truly looks like he loves what he is doing. It was a stellar guitar night. Both Frank & Trio and Tommy jammed at the end and it was insane. Tommy is no slouch at any style of guitar playing. If you haven't seen the Frank Vignola Trio I highly suggest you do.

That is a show I would love to see. I`ve seen Tommy E probably 10 times or more, but never Frank Vignola though I`ve been a fan for years..

• Members

I get to see TE this Wedsnesday....almost a year to the day I saw him last.....At the Palladium in ST. Pete, FL

He was fantastic last year, and I expect no less this wedsnesday.....can't wait...

I saw Willy Nelson and his son live last wednesday, and get to see John Prine in Atlanta this Saturday....I consider myself very lucky these days....great performers all close to home....

• Members

For those of you who have seen him recently, does he still make himself accessible to fans during the intermissions and after the show? To be honest, when I saw him way back in late 2005 I was told it was worth it to meet him but I chickened out and went home instead. I was told that he is truly a genuine and inspiring person to speak to as well and have seen videos on youtube that backed that up. It makes me want to kick myself harder in the butt because he hasn't played anywhere near to me since so I haven't had the opportunity to rectify that mistake.

Thanks for this thread, Freeman. To be honest I hadn't picked up my guitar with any regularity in the longest time since my thoughts turned toward building guitars. When I saw this thread I strapped on my OM and blew the dust off some TE songs - and yes even other fingerstyle selections - that I used to play more frequently. It felt good to blow the rust off the strings and get into the groove (as TE likes to say) for a bit today.

• Members

For those of you who have seen him recently, does he still make himself accessible to fans during the intermissions and after the show? To be honest, when I saw him way back in late 2005 I was told it was worth it to meet him but I chickened out and went home instead. I was told that he is truly a genuine and inspiring person to speak to as well and have seen videos on youtube that backed that up. It makes me want to kick myself harder in the butt because he hasn't played anywhere near to me since so I haven't had the opportunity to rectify that mistake.

Thanks for this thread, Freeman. To be honest I hadn't picked up my guitar with any regularity in the longest time since my thoughts turned toward building guitars. When I saw this thread I strapped on my OM and blew the dust off some TE songs - and yes even other fingerstyle selections - that I used to play more frequently. It felt good to blow the rust off the strings and get into the groove (as TE likes to say) for a bit today.

I guess it was about 3 years since I`ve seen him, and it was at Winfield. If you are familiar with Winfield there are several stages in the campground known as Pecan Grove.. I was walking by Stage 5 which is the oldest of the campground stages, and there is Tommy E playing with/to us regular pickers.. What a cool guy, super-upbeat, and that was my favorite time I`ve seen him play.. It wasn`t his regular set, mostly flatpicking and Django kind of stuff. Impressed the hell out of me..

I want to learn "Driveline" do you play that one?

• Members

The last time I saw him was in New Orleans in June. 2010.

He invited some kid from the audience with a guitar up on stage to play one of his tunes together with him. Now that is pretty darned accessible and high risk for a performer. This was not staged or contrived. It was obvious that it was a spontanious moment. That kid didn't choke, either. I would have wet m pants.

Archived