Friends in Japan

daklander

• Members

we are safe...sister in law`s parents are missing after their village was swept away...and I mean it`s gone, so we`re hoping they are OK and just haven`t been able to get in touch because communications are still down. Got rocked pretty good and for a while there I was worried the building I was in was going to be ok...it was without a doubt the longest quake I`ve experienced so far...at least 5 minutes on the clock in the class I was in, no kidding...it would die down then pick back up...still getting hit with after shocks every few minutes.

• Members

Its a funny thing this internet, Ive never met you, or indeed talked directly, although Ive read a lot of your posts.

while watching footage I found myself thinking .."I hope Zenbu is ok" Glad you are,hope your family are too.

Is Yamaha junkie in Japan..?

• Members

we are safe...sister in law`s parents are missing after their village was swept away...and I mean it`s gone, so we`re hoping they are OK and just haven`t been able to get in touch because communications are still down. Got rocked pretty good and for a while there I was worried the building I was in was going to be ok...it was without a doubt the longest quake I`ve experienced so far...at least 5 minutes on the clock in the class I was in, no kidding...it would die down then pick back up...still getting hit with after shocks every few minutes.

Oh Zenbu! Glad to see you are ok and I sincerely hope everything is going to be fine for your sister in law`s parents.

I thought about you when I heard of the events, yesterday!

My best wishes to anybody who is in Japan in this horrible situation.

• Members

I have been looking at the devastation, just can't comprehend. We have just been through devastation in my home town of Queensland Australia as well. A inland sunami went through parts of our country towns and the lost of life and devastation left behind, was just aweful.

This have been a year to remember, I hope and pray all is well. God Bless to all.

• Members

news...my sister in law`s parents were found alive, we got a mail today saying only that, no details `cause cells are really messed up at this time...understandable. You have all no doubt by new seen footage taken by people caught up in this event...I just want to say do not believe everything CNN and/or the BBC are telling you...the worst hit areas are outside the downtown core...much closer to the ocean, downtown Sendai is intact, some damage but compared to Christchurch...very little indeed, there will be thousands of extremely sad stories in the days to come, we`re bracing for them, but they will be from areas outside the city. There may be unseen damage to buildings down town, I`m told the gas company has to check each and every household, that may takes weeks...and every building will have to be evaluated, just because there is no visible damage doesn`t mean there is none, that will take a long time too. I believe some folks may never recover from this, Japan already has one of the highest suicide rates in the world and I would not be shocked to hear of higher than usual numbers after this, I mean as you have seen the destruction in some places is total, nothing left, and with that sometimes hope is lost as well.

My father in law told us today he had a dream of his daughter in law`s missing father last night...said he came to him in a dream but didn`t say anything, he was just smiling...and my wife`s father took that to mean he had come to say good-bye...but I said no, he was saying...don`t worry I`m happy, I`m alive. You know when we weren`t certain if they had made it or not I was trying to imagine what their final thoughts might have been and I guessed it would have been their 3 grand daughters, but I don`t know yet, we will meet them and I`ll ask them what was going through their minds. I`m pretty sure they will have some stories to tell us, this has been something none of us who experienced it will ever forget I`m certain. But we can breathe a sigh of relief tonight, the girls will get to see their grandparents again.

Thats it for now, thanks for the kind words, this ain`t over yet...we have been warned to expect an after shock of at least 7 in the next couple of days, like we need that...but predicting earth quakes is not an exact science...we hope they`re wrong of course and there are had times ahead, but I`m pretty sure they will pull through as a nation.

• Members

I have no idea who is closest to the truth about the reactor stories, officials here may be holding back and people thousands of miles away are just speculating since they have not been here nor seen whats going on for themselves. Very difficult to figure out whats true and what ain`t.

• Members

My wife is from a mountainous area of Fukushima. She has relatives all over Fukushima and Sendai. I lived in Japan off and on for a total of 16 years. I used to love driving the Iwate coast, the area where the tsunami wiped out entire towns. It's sad especially as the coastal area between Sendai and Hachinohe was one of the prettiest places on earth.

• Members

Hope they are all ok Bruto

My wife's mother and sister live in a small mountain town near Koriyama, and they're ok. However, her sister is a nurse's assistant in Koriyama and hasn't been home since Friday. As Koriyama is inland, the emergency teams sent everyone there. She's been working 18 hour days and sleeping at the hospital. Her mother is 77 years old and is making food for victims everyday. They converted the community room of her apartment into a shelter. They've done that all over.

I took my wife to the Mike Marshall / Daryl Anger concert last night mainly to get her mind off things in Japan. We have NHK through Comcast cable, and she's been watching it all day and night.

• Members

My wife's mother and sister live in a small mountain town near Koriyama, and they're ok. However, her sister is a nurse's assistant in Koriyama and hasn't been home since Friday. As Koriyama is inland, the emergency teams sent everyone there. She's been working 18 hour days and sleeping at the hospital. Her mother is 77 years old and is making food for victims everyday. They converted the community room of her apartment into a shelter. They've done that all over.

I'm constantly amazed by the many tales of courage and kindness I've been hearing in the aftermath of this terrible tragedy (and the absence of looting, rioting, etc.)

You're all in our thoughts.

• Members

we heard of the Jusco in Tagajo that got looted this past Sunday and Monday...it`s a chain of department stores very similar to those seen in North America...evidently staff who ran out of the store during the Friday quake did not lock the doors and I guess folks took advantage. We heard it has been stripped bare of everything that could be carried off. I have seen with my own eyes the very organized lines of people in this city and it is true in general they can be very orderly...but in a country of over 127 million, there are some bad eggs, no shortage of nasty in Japan, just as in any country you care to name I`d wager. Now, I do not fear anybody shooting at me on the streets at night however I have come to the conclusion after many years in Japan that over all they are no different from folks elsewhere...good folks...bad folks. So far things have been very calm but many of the affected folks have not been pushed to the brink yet so we shall see how it all plays out. I`ve met some of the nicest folks I`ve ever met anywhere in Japan...also met some I hope to never meet again.

• Members

Hope its all on the mend for you now. I was in my local guitar shop today and he was asking.."How come when Bangladesh and Pakistan have tribulations we rally round with offers of aid yet when it happens in Japan they are expected to get on with it..?"

Well my answer was the predictable one .. Japans a developed country with a well rehearsed emergency plan.

Well surely we should offer help regardless was his reply.

Kinda got me to pondering...

Anyway hope its not going to be too cold for you all in the next few days, -3 , you could do without that.

• Members

Hope its all on the mend for you now. I was in my local guitar shop today and he was asking.."How come when Bangladesh and Pakistan have tribulations we rally round with offers of aid yet when it happens in Japan they are expected to get on with it..?"

Well my answer was the predictable one .. Japans a developed country with a well rehearsed emergency plan.

Well surely we should offer help regardless was his reply.

Kinda got me to pondering...

Anyway hope its not going to be too cold for you all in the next few days, -3 , you could do without that.

The UK is i read in Yesterdays News sent workers over to japan inc Drs / Nurses basically medical staff etc

many also workers wearing bright orange Boiler suits with UK written on the back

and todays Scottish paper and local News spoke also of helping with Aid to Japan

although Japan is a developed country they dont need so much with money

its more so helping with the clearing up and the rescue operations etc

And sure Some other countries are also helping with whatever way they can..

Archived