Pre-GAS: Good Jumbos?

seagullplayer77

• Members

I've been tinkering with the idea of buying myself a "nice" guitar this summer. I have plenty of guitars and I'd probably sell a few before making the purchase (or try to, anyway), but I've never owned an all-solid wood acoustic and I'd like one.

I perused through Musician's Friend the other day and the jumbos really caught my eye. I have a few dreadnoughts and if I'm going to spend money on something new, I want it to be something, well . . . new. Different. The Guild GAD JF30 looked mighty fine, especially with the flame maple B/S :love:.

But if I buy something, it's not going to be on looks. I'd like to make a trip out to Guitar Center in the next month or two and spend some time in the acoustic room, but until then, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking around $1000. Something other than cedar. Acoustic-electric would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. Any ideas?

• Members

I've played a couple o' Guild GAD JF30s that sounded great. When I think Jumbo, I tend to think Guild or Gibson. As much as I love Martin's 15 series, none of the J-15's I've played has ever really done it for me. Guild was making a mahogany jumbo for a while (JF48?) that looked fantastic - I think TAH has one. But they discontinued it for some reason.

I've always been kind of frustrated with the slim jumbo selection in the under-$2k range. Cannot figure why the body style is not more popular. Once in a while, a beautiful older Guild jumbo will pop up at Elderly in great condition for around $1200...

I would be very curious about Eastman - I am curious about their instruments in general. Their guitars look great and I'm dying to try a few out to see if they sound/play as good as they look.

Breedlove Atlas series?

• Members

I've played a couple o' Guild GAD JF30s that sounded great. When I think Jumbo, I tend to think Guild or Gibson. As much as I love Martin's 15 series, none of the J-15's I've played has ever really done it for me. Guild was making a mahogany jumbo for a while (JF48?) that looked fantastic - I think TAH has one. But they discontinued it for some reason.

I've always been kind of frustrated with the slim jumbo selection in the under-$2k range. Cannot figure why the body style is not more popular.
Once in a while, a beautiful older Guild jumbo will pop up at Elderly in great condition for around $1200...

I would be very curious about Eastman - I am curious about their instruments in general. Their guitars look great and I'm dying to try a few out to see if they sound/play as good as they look.

Breedlove Atlas series?

I'd noticed this too. Outside of the Guild, there were a few Taks, Breedloves, and a Yamaha in the $1000 neighborhood. Pickings are slim, which is why I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

There were some Seagull mini-jumbos as well, but I was thinking of a full-sized jumbo. Even so, I'll certainly give them a try.

• Members

My GADJF-30 is my daily go to guitar. It's one of the best guitars I have ever had. Mine definitely needed a setup when I got it and I just took another .020" off the saddle to lower the strings some more. Many of my friends always want to use at the jams I go to when I am playing my mandolin. You won't go wrong with that as a choice.:thu:

Bob

• Members

Talk to Jason at Notable about this Larrivee, eh.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180616732432#ht_3506wt_1139

That looks great! :thu:

OTOH, here's a few to consider, as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-GAD-JF48-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-W-CASE-/310307770733?pt=Guitar&hash=item483fc8d16d (was considering this one, myself, but am going to look for a natural finished one).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-JF4-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-1993-Made-Rhode-Is-/290553443811?pt=Guitar&hash=item43a655b5e3 (incredible deal...same model I play, but a lot cheaper than I gave for either of mine!)

• Members

I ask for ideas, and I get a bunch of eBay auctions. You guys must be trying to get me in trouble :D.

I'm kidding. Thanks for the ideas. I was wondering about Larrivee but I didn't know if they made any jumbos. It looks like they did . . . I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those to try.

• Members

I was wondering about Larrivee but I didn't know if they made any jumbos. It looks like they did . . .

They've made jumbos before, but I believe this is the first time they've done an -03 series jumbo. Limited run, and they might be hard to find.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well, I just bought a 'factory refurb' GAD-JF30 from an eBay trader in NH. Bear in mind I'm in Australia, so it's quite a big decision to do that. Am very confident it is nothing more than 'light-shop-used', at worst; maybe some light marking. Very thorough listing and pics.

I bounced some messages back and forth with the trader, who has 100% rating, and a high trade-count. Basically slightly under half price. Wasn't seriously considering sourcing like that, but kind of tripped over it.

It's in USPS's hands. I await. If anyone wants me to photobucket some pics, when it arrives, am happy to do so. If it's as good as I am hoping it will be, I can be PM'd for info on the seller, who I believe has them from time to time.

• Members

I've been tinkering with the idea of buying myself a "nice" guitar this summer. I have plenty of guitars and I'd probably sell a few before making the purchase (or try to, anyway), but I've never owned an all-solid wood acoustic and I'd like one.

I perused through Musician's Friend the other day and the jumbos really caught my eye. I have a few dreadnoughts and if I'm going to spend money on something new, I want it to be something, well . . . new. Different. The Guild GAD JF30 looked mighty fine, especially with the flame maple B/S
:love:

But if I buy something, it's not going to be on looks. I'd like to make a trip out to Guitar Center in the next month or two and spend some time in the acoustic room, but until then, I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking around $1000. Something other than cedar. Acoustic-electric would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary. Any ideas?

A few more worthy of your attention...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NICE-1979-YAMAHA-CJ-838S-JUMBO-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-SPRUCE-/320691998495?pt=Guitar&hash=item4aaabb8f1f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Beautiful-Handmade-Walnut-Jumbo-/120721095017?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1b89b969

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-GAD-JF48-Jumbo-Acoustic-Guitar-W-CASE-/160580356361?pt=Guitar&hash=item256355c909

http://cgi.ebay.com/CUSTOM-LARRIVEE-J-03-JUMBO-MAHOGANY-LIMITED-MODEL-/180660099050?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a102e57ea *****

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-GAD-JF30-Acoustic-Jumbo-Guitar-Natural-/160581946810?pt=Guitar&hash=item25636e0dba

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boulder-Creek-ERJ6N-KOA-Jumbo-Acoustic-Elec-Guitar-New-/150568163949?pt=Guitar&hash=item230e8fda6d

http://cgi.ebay.com/PEERLESS-PJ60E-JUMBO-ACOUSTIC-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-803031-/310187068303?pt=Guitar&hash=item4838970b8f

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIG-FAT-ORPHEUM-SUPER-JUMBO-FLATTOP-40-50s-17-NICE-/200449115274?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2eabb2c48a

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guild-GADJF30E-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-/160583248986?pt=Guitar&hash=item256381ec5a

• Members

A few more worthy of your attention...

Thanks for the links, TAH :thu:!

That Larrivee jumbo is tempting, though I'd like to play before I buy. After my trip to GC yesterday, I'm starting to realize that maybe a jumbo isn't what I'm looking for after all. I played a Martin grand performance body, and it was the best-sounding guitar I played that evening. And it was a very small body---smaller than a dread, and certainly smaller than a jumbo.

• Members

You might want to keep your eyes open for a Tacoma Jumbo used. Wonderful piano like rich tones. Nice case too with a real leather handle! Pic here is from net, easier than loading mine. Don't suggest if you live in hot humid climate. Eats the finish off.... Guy that won Americas Got Talent had same model (saw on Leno).

3n83m33p15O55U05R0b52e3a91948a78c1dfa.jp

• Members

What kind of jumbo? There are small jumbos, super jumbos, medium jumbos and some that are basically OMs that are as deep as dreads.

I agree with you though, the cheaper Pac Rim ones just seem to be tonally lifeless to me; hey seem to be overbuilt with laminated materials.

FWIW my current favorite jumbo is the GS which is sort of a medium jumbo. I don't know if they offer one in the $1000 range but I see that they just added the GS4 which should be only a few hundred above $1000. :idk:

• Members

Their "historic" series is absolutely awesome. The mahogany model is unbelievable. The thing is a cannon. The low E seems like it would vibrate for days. I can see owning one!

FWIW my current favorite jumbo is the GS which is sort of a medium jumbo. I don't know if they offer one in the $1000 range but I see that they just added the GS4 which should be only a few hundred above $1000.

Really? Haven't seen that yet! I've wondered if they were going to do a GS3 or GS4. That would be a Taylor guitar I'd consider buying! While not a Taylor fan, I really like the GS models. However, they are too expensive for my tastes.

• Members

I would like to try that new Martin Batatone. I saw a write-up in one of the guitar rags about it, a few months back. Def would have to handle it first. The thing looks huge. I think it was electrified as well. I went and saw this guy on one of my nights off who played a baratone guitar. It was pretty cool. He also played one of those harp guitars. That blew my mind.

• Members

What kind of jumbo? There are small jumbos, super jumbos, medium jumbos and some that are basically OMs that are as deep as dreads.

I agree with you though, the cheaper Pac Rim ones just seem to be tonally lifeless to me; hey seem to be overbuilt with laminated materials.

FWIW my current favorite jumbo is the GS which is sort of a medium jumbo. I don't know if they offer one in the $1000 range but I see that they just added the GS4 which should be only a few hundred above $1000.
:idk:

I'm kind of sorry this thread came back (and here I am perpetuating it . . . duh!), because I'm not sure I want a jumbo anymore. It was a preconception I had; I wanted something other than a dread, and for whatever reason, I arbitrarily picked a jumbo. I played a Martin grand performance body yesterday, which is basically a clone of the Taylor GA body style. I was very impressed with the guitar, and it was quite small.

Anyway, all that to say that while I certainly appreciate the suggestions, I don't know that a jumbo is what I want. The only one I played at GC last night was a Tak, and it sounded awful. Pickings were pretty slim; most of what they had on the floor were dreads, with some smaller body styles. Outside of the Tak, and maybe a high-end Taylor or two, I didn't really seen any other jumbos :idk:.

• Members

I really liked the JF30 I had.The only reason I sold it was because I prefer a wider neck since I tend to mute strings some otherwise.It had the burst finish and looked fantastic.

Yeah, I was aware of that, but my eyes glazed over a little.:)

• Members

Hello seagullplayer - have you considered sticking with Seagull and look at the SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo? All solid woods, and something a bit different too. I have (but am selling for Martin EC funds) the Entourage Mini Jumbo and the body style is very nice.

Archived