whats the general consensus on the "Acoustic" brand amplifiers?

plurabelle

• Members

i found one i really like, the AG60. 60 watts, 4 inputs, tilt back design, attractive price. it sounds good with the 4 different guitars i tried it with. i cant find a lot of feedback online about these amps. i just thought id throw this out there and see if anyone had any input.

theres a couple other amps im looking at too. ive used a 40 watt marshall a couple times at gigs, and i really like how my yamaha sounds through it. im also intrigued by the troubadour amps.

i havent been on the forums in awhile, its good to be back...

• Members

Hey, welcome back. :wave:

Well, I just went through the acoustic amp thing. I pretty much tried them all, including a few of the Acoustics.:

1. Number One was clearly a brand called Ultratone. By far the best and most warmest sounding of all the amps I played. Even the built-in effects (reverb ad chorus) sound good. I bought the Ultratone 50, which is the 50 watt two channel version.

2. Number Two was the Fishman Mini Loudbox (the big version was way more than I was looking for). 60 watts, very clear, built in effects, two channels, but less warm and natural sounding than the Ultratone.

3. Fender Acoustasonic was Number Three, but way more amp than I wanted. Sounds good, but a little to glassy for my tastes. Needed some careful EQ. Also, $499.

4. Alas, my least favorite was the Acoustics. Compared to the others, particularly the Ultratones (I also played their 30 version which is also a great amp), they sounded hollow and artificial and lacked, for lack of a better phrase, "sonic heft".

The UltraTones are very reasonably priced as well: $219 for the 30 watt, $299 for the 50 watt.

Hope this helps. This is all very subjective so your tastes may differ. :)

• Members

I have a 15, which I have never used and that I will sell on the cheap. They get great reviews at MF and M123, and I bought it on the basis on those reviews, but I was immediately frustrated by the lack of reverb with chorus in its stead. (I hate chorus.)

• Members

Roland AC-60 or AC-90. (AC-33 if you don't need much power).

It is not only a great acoustic guitar amp. It's a fantastic synth amp & powered PA speaker.

It's a brilliant piece of work.

I used to have an Acoustic-brand bass amp, back in the day.

Heavy, but it sounded good for bass. It's not 1/3 the amp the AC60 is though.

• Members

I tried the acoustic amp thing for a while. Then I discovered that I can come out of my Para DI and go strait to a Powered Speaker. (1/4 inch goes to speaker, XLR goes to Mixer, or I can just run to the speaker and use it as a stand alone amp)

I've been using an old JBL Eon. I'm debating a QSC K12, Mackie 450, or one of the new X series EV powered speakers.

• Members

I love my Genz Benz Shen Jr. Very versatile and great tone. Much easier that hauling around a PA system for small coffee shop type gigs.

Of all the acoustic amps I have tried (Roland, Fender, Crate, ZT, Ultrasound, and that little one--what's the name of it (I can't remember)--the Genz Benz Jr. has been my favorite by a great margin.

• Members

My only experience was the house amp at a disco in Trinidad called Atlantis when I was 17. It was a big tall thing and definitely tube. I used a Fender Mustang and a Boss effects rack and it sounded incredible. Don't know what model, but it growled like a mofo when I hit it for leads.

• Members

I love my Genz Benz Shen Jr. Very versatile and great tone. Much easier that hauling around a PA system for small coffee shop type gigs.

Yea the Genz Benz amps are great. I used one on a gig about a year ago. I think it as called a Shen 150. Sounded great. But all these new powered speakers... A coffee house gig, I can get by with one speaker. They sound incredible. A little cheaper as well.

• Members

I honestly did not care for the Acoustic amp. I had a chance to A/B it against a Crate CA series amp and the Crate beat it hands down. Roland also makes excellent amps for acoustic guitars.

So far, Crate seems to have the lock-down on acoustic amps, in general...lot of bang-for-the-buck.

• Members

I have the 15. Overall, it's got a nice clean sound. It does tend to be bass heavy, but the bass is deep, not cheesy. For $99 new, it's nice for small areas. What I don't care for is the lack of reverb and the chorus it does have sounds very unnatural.

• Members

My qualm with the Acoustic ag 60 is that I've found too many reviews about it online, where the author claimed to have trouble with the amp. I found one here on HC where the author claimed to have bought one new that quit working, only to exchange it for another one that quit working. Then I found a few more reviews that were similar. Then, I realized that I was finding bad reviews just as easily as I was finding good reviews. That doesn't make me a confident buyer. I like the amp, but I want to make sure I've exhausted every option before I buy. Its hard for me to come up with cash for new equipment, so I need to make sure I spend my money wisely. That's really the only reason I asked you guys. I knew you guys would have all kinds of good advice, and would recommend all kinds of amps I've never even heard of. That's exactly what happened, and I very much appreciate it! :)

• Members

Also, thanks to you guys, I have a new short list of amps to go try out this weekend.

Ibanez troubadour ta 80

Anything I can find by roland

Ultrasound, if I can find any in town

I like to focus on just a few at a time, do my research, then head out to the local shops and try em out.

Another thing-

Someone asked if I used my own guitars when checking out the Acoustic ag 60. No, I didn't. I was at guitar center, and I was actually looking for a new guitar. I've seen those amps in there for awhile, and decided to give em a whirl. I just picked 4 different guitars off the wall, to see how well the amp did with different guitars. My personal guitar is a '78 yamaha FG335II, fitted with a JJB electronics piezo system. I need to take it in there and try it with the amp, but I haven't had time to do so. I'm getting a new acoustic soon anyway, and it'll be a lot different than my yamaha. Most guitar stores stock the guitar I'm getting, so I just pick one off the wall and use it to try amps.

• Members

My own recommendation would be a used bass or keyboard amp. Personally, I like Peavey's stuff but the amp I own is a SWR LA12, 60 Watts, 12" speaker and a tweeter. I actually bought it as a practice amp for my bass but my acoustic sounds good through it with the midrange turned up a bit. As for the Ibanez Troubadour TA80, I have no experience with Ibanez amps but their electric guitars and basses are well respected, and I love my Ibanez acoustic. I'd think they should be able to build a decent amp.

Archived