Lets talk woods: Maple in particular

grunge782

• Members

As you all have probably noticed by now (and some annoyed :lol:), I'm somewhat of an acoustic noob. I tried doing some searching around about different woods tonal properties, but I could not find much about maple: in particular maple necks and maple back and sides.

I have also been looking around at some guitars with koa back and sides that I would like some light to be shed on in terms of their tone.

So what is maple "supposed" to sound like in comparison to something like mahogany or rosewood?

• Members

Depends on the maple I suppose but if you're looking at maple guitars under $2000 they're going to be laminated maple and I haven't come across one that I've liked. To my ears they sound bright with less bass response but with really clear trebles. Koa to my ear sounds similar but a little more "mellow" - or quieter. They're both pretty-looking woods but give me a nice plan set of mahogany or rosewood and I'm happy. Both seem to have more "bottom end" but rosewood tends to have more sustain.

The real indicator of tone is the top wood though. Sitka spruce is the most common and the most versatile. Adirondack spruce is louder and clearer and more responsive but it's getting rarer so it's pricier. Cedar is popular for those with a lighter touch but it sort of offers a natural compression effect that fingerstyle soloists might prefer. Mahogany has a quick decay so it's good for fingerpicking. I've never tried a Koa top but IIRC I've heard that its response is similar to mahogany.

There are other factors that come into play, but as far as tone wood selection goes IME sometimes prettier isn't better.

• Members

Probably the three major factors are a guitar's size/shape, then the thickness/bracing, and then the wood species.

The wood species of the back mostly affects the "color" -- the harmonic content. If all else is equal, rosewood adds a lot of color, mahogany adds a bit, and maple adds the least.

In other words, you're hearing the spruce on a maple-backed guitar. Some people call that "bright." To me, I'd describe it as dry and a bit sterile.

• Members

Others here know way more about this topic than I do--but I am amazed at how guitars made of similar woods have vastly different tonal character. Spruce top/maple side+back Gibson jumbos I've played aren't "bright", but the Takamine dreads I have played really are.

I really love the spruce/hog combo of the Hummingbird. Or maybe it's just that pickguard...:)

• Members

I played a beautiful Gibson jumbo that had maple back and sides a year or so ago and it was a great guitar. It was really clear and articulate, but not boomy in the bass. I was playing it plugged in through a PA though, so I don't know what the signal path was or any EQ. The guitar controls were set to flat.

• Members

Hmm, maple probably isn't for me then. Sounds like rosewood is better suited for my tastes.

The shape and construction of the guitar will make the major difference as many people have pointed out. If you want a big bottom and lots of treble, then a dread, maybe mahogany. If you want articulate and balanced for picking, maybe a smaller bodied guitar.

Once you're sure what shape you like, choose the one you like best regardless of what the woods are. :D

• Members

The shape and construction of the guitar will make the major difference as many people have pointed out. If you want a big bottom and lots of treble, then a dread, maybe mahogany. If you want articulate and balanced for picking, maybe a smaller bodied guitar.

Once you're sure what shape you like, choose the one you like best regardless of what the woods are.
:D

Yeah I'm pretty sure a dreadnought is more up my alley.

• Members

Two words: quilted mahogany! :love:

I'll leave the name of the builder out so that I'm not accused of spamming but during a recent visit to a certain shop I picked up a dread built with an Adirondack spruce top and quilted mahogany back & sides which I might add was also quite lightly-braced and man that guitar was a CANNON. Clear trebles, robust bass. Before I thought that the sitka spruce/East indian rosewood Martin HD-35 was my Holy Grail of dreadnoughts but now I'm not sure. This guitar was 3X the price after all.

• Members

In terms of wood, probably cedar. Mahogany is kinda mellow but not everyone's cup of espresso. I'd say maybe a dreadnought with a cedar or possibly mahogany top. Godin (Seagull, Simon & Patrick, Norman) and Takamine make good cedar-topped dreads. For mahogany, Guild GAD25 or Martin D15. Tanglewood if you can find one.

• Members

I love my solid mahogany Martin... avatar pic. It's a D-15 and sounds sweet. Maple is bright, very loud. If you combine it with the wrong wood, you'll get mud. If you use it on the back and sides with a solid spruce top, the sound will be very distinct and clear. My loudest ukulele is maple back and sides with a solid spruce top.

Koa is not like maple at all. Koa can have a pronounced "bark" to it, when constructed lightly. It can be sweet and mellow with heavier bracing. If made like my KoAloha ukuleles, it is loud, sweet-- a sound canon. On the right guitar, it can deafen you by its punch, although not anywhere near as clear as maple.

There are some less expensive woods out there that are siblings of Koa... acacia species like Australian Blackwood. "MonkeyPod" is becoming popular because it is in high supply and sounds good. It has a similar sound to Koa, but a little less punch.

Archived