O/T Amy Winehouse death

baldbloke

• Members

Is anyone really surprised by this? Personally I never saw what the big deal was about her. Any live performance I have ever seen of her has been painfully bad. I imagine early on there was some talent but I never saw it. Obviously she had many fans but she only put out two records in 8 years and was really only "famous" for her public displays of drunkeness.

• Members

I like her music a lot. It makes me think of soul music from the 60s. I wasn't there at this time, yet... But I wish I would have been!

I love old music like in this video (The Ronettes):

• Members

Flippin' eck. Now, I had heard one or two tunes on the radio. Never paid too much attention. Knew she was famous and troubled but.... I watched and listened to the vid Sangemon posted. Wow. Great vocals and the guitarist, Robin Banjeree, does a first class job. I've listened to a couple more tunes since. Very impressive stuff.

• Members

27 ClubFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 27 Club, also occasionally known as the Forever 27 Club or Club 27, is a name for a group of influential rock music artists who died at the age of 27. The 27s: The Greatest Myth of Rock & Roll details the history of the phenomenon.

Musicians usually included in the 27 ClubThe impetus for the club's creation were the deaths of Jones, Hendrix, Joplin and Morrison.[1] Cobain, who died in 1994, was later added by some. With the exception of Joplin, there is controversy surrounding their deaths. According to the book Heavier Than Heaven, when Cobain died, his sister claimed that as a kid he would talk about how he wanted to join the 27 Club.[2] On the fifteenth anniversary of Kurt Cobain's death, National Public Radio's Robert Smith said, "The deaths of these rock stars at the age of 27 really changed the way we look at rock music."[3] The 27s: The Greatest Myth of Rock & Roll details the history of the phenomenon.

Picture Name Date of death Official cause of death Fame Age
Brian Jones July 3, 1969 Drowned in a swimming pool.[4] The coroner's report stated "death by misadventure."[5] Rolling Stones founder and guitarist/multi-instrumentalist. 27 years and 125 days

Jimi Hendrix September 18, 1970 Autopsy showed he asphyxiated on vomit after combining sleeping pills with wine.[6] Pioneering electric guitarist, singer and songwriter for The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band of Gypsys. 27 years and 295 days

Janis Joplin October 4, 1970 Probable heroin overdose.[7] Lead vocalist and songwriter for Big Brother and the Holding Company, The Kozmic Blues Band and Full Tilt Boogie Band. 27 years and 258 days

Jim Morrison July 3, 1971 Cause of death listed as "heart failure"; however, no autopsy was performed.[8] Lead singer, songwriter and video director for The Doors. 27 years and 207 days

Kurt Cobain April 5, 1994 Ruled as suicide by shotgun.[9] Founding member, lead singer, guitarist and songwriter for Nirvana. 27 years and 44 days

Other musicians who died at 27Some lists include other musicians who died at age 27.[10] Cobain and Hendrix biographer Charles R. Cross writes, "The number of musicians who died at 27 is truly remarkable by any standard. [Although] humans die regularly at all ages, there is a statistical spike for musicians who die at 27."[10]

Name Date of death Cause of death Claim to notability
Louis Chauvin March 26, 1908 Neurosyphilitic sclerosis. Ragtime musician.

Robert Johnson August 16, 1938 Unknown, but typically credited to strychnine poisoning. Bluesman. Recorded very famous and influential set of 29 songs that influenced many famous musicians after him, considered the first of the 27 club.

Nat Jaffe August 5, 1945 Result of complications from high blood pressure. Blues musician.

Jesse Belvin February 6, 1960 Car crash. R&B singer and songwriter.

Rudy Lewis May 20, 1964 Drug overdose. Vocalist of The Drifters.

Malcolm Hale October 31, 1968 Carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty space heater. Original member of Spanky and Our Gang.

Dickie Pride March 26, 1969 Overdose of sleeping pills. British rock and roll singer.

Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson September 3, 1970 Barbiturate overdose, possible suicide. Leader, singer and primary composer of Canned Heat.

Arlester "Dyke" Christian March 13, 1971 Shot. Frontman and vocalist of Dyke & the Blazers.

Linda Jones March 14, 1972 Diabetic coma. R&B singer.

Les Harvey May 3, 1972 Electrocution by live microphone after touching it with his wet hands. Guitarist for Stone the Crows.

Ron "Pigpen" McKernan March 8, 1973 Gastrointestinal hemorrhage associated with alcoholism. Founding member, keyboardist and singer of the Grateful Dead.

Roger Lee Durham July 27, 1973 Fell off a horse and died from the injuries. Singer and percussionist of Bloodstone.

Wallace Yohn August 12, 1974 Died in a plane crash along with three other band members. Organ player of Chase.

Dave Alexander February 10, 1975 Pulmonary edema. Bassist for the Stooges.

Pete Ham April 24, 1975 Suicide by hanging. Keyboardist and guitarist, leader of Badfinger.

Gary Thain December 8, 1975 Drug overdose. Former bassist of Uriah Heep and The Keef Hartley Band.

Cecilia August 2, 1976 Car crash Spanish singer

Helmut K

• Members

Here's someone who made at least a half hearted effort to see if Club 27 is statistically significant:

http://crispian-jago.blogspot.com/2011/07/is-27-club-statistically-significant.html

It's sort of odd how the original 4 (jones, jimi, janis and jim morrison) all died within a 2 year span...then we go until 1994 for Cobain (ignoring those "lesser" stars in between) and then toss Winehouse in the mix 17 years later. Plus those original 4 all had J's in their names. And Hendrix and Janis played at Monterey in '67, with Brian Jones introducing Hendrix and The Doors were "mistakenly not invited". I'm sure there's some other odd similarities I could find in there if I put forth some effort. But that's what separates the real journalists from common rabble like myself.

Anyways, yes, tragic losses all of them.

• Members

She had a really great raw talent. The reason I use the word "raw" is because it was so good.... and I just assumed she wasn't disciplined enough to work to get that (and had it so young) But who knows maybe I'm wrong. her voice had all the soul of Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald when she was really on. She had great taste too and didn't just sell out to become Lady Ga Ga or something. the music she sand had jazz torch sond substance to it....so I have to say she had great taste in music too. How someone who seemed that smart about music would be so dumb about everything else is the mystery. I even liked the image she created on stage.

I dunno. I like to think you can't get that successful at your art and career without being a {censored}-up in your personal life but she proves that theory wrong.

• Members

Sad. Troubled souls so often make great artists.

Well, fortunately for me I'm not THAT troubled (or I would never have lived this long), and by no means am I a great artist, but surely my best songs come out of my most troubling situations.

Maybe also this explains the power and universality of the blues.

Archived