Guitar Shipping Boxes?

Samilyn

• Members

Hit any/all music stores you can...this time of the year, they'll likely have quite a few, and will appreciate you hauling them off for them!

^^^This^^^

I usually call ahead, because some stores are a little quirky about giving up boxes. Most of them are very nice about it, though, and glad to let 'em go. If possible, see if you can get a box with the top/bottom or top/middle/bottom suspension system (just hollow cardboard jammies the width and depth of the box that keep the git from moving around inside). They'll make your git-packing life much safer and easier.

• Members

^^^This^^^

I usually call ahead, because some stores are a little quirky about giving up boxes. Most of them are very nice about it, though, and glad to let 'em go. If possible, see if you can get a box with the top/bottom or top/middle/bottom suspension system (just hollow cardboard jammies the width and depth of the box that keep the git from moving around inside). They'll make your git-packing life much safer and easier.

If that doesn't work, any UPS store will have your size. Around 8 bucks or so.

• Members

I go to the local supermarket and get a few suitable looking boxes then cut them up and fashion them into a guitar-sized box and tape them together.

Be aware that boxes like this, if product is received damaged, may not be covered by the major shippers, at least UPS, USPS and FedEx. They can, and will, use any excuse to deny. My wife's in international shipping with one of the "Big Two" in the US. She rolls her eyes at pieced together boxes. Nothin' wrong with 'em if they get there in one piece, but just be aware..

Also be aware that shipping guitars over 20 years old and custom instruments will not be covered for more than 1000 from FedEx, UPS, or the Post Office. You need to get separate insurance for that.

Packages containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $1,000:

• Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old, and customized or personalized musical instruments.

Not a lot of folks are aware of that. I know of one dealer that shipped a 1930's 5K National, and was denied 4k.... He uses separate insurance now when shipping those types of items.

• Members

I haven`t found a guitar-sized box at a UPS store yet and I`ve checked many of them. They always want to make a huge box by taping several together, of course costing a fortune to ship..

Music stores are your best bet, but as has been said they are often reluctant to let go of them especially if they also do Ebay or guitar shows on the side... I have had one hell of a time finding guitar boxes a few times..

• Members

The UPS Store has awesome, double walled, guitar boxes rated up to 275 lbs - $19.99.

That's what I've found as well, chordchunker's store is behind the times!!

...though I didn't think they were that much, but still not bad.

• Members

That's what I've found as well, chordchunker's store is behind the times!!

...though I didn't think they were that much, but still not bad.

Yeah, I had to buy one last month because Guitar Center didn't have any on hand and I had to ship the guitar before their next shipment came in. Guitar Center has no issue giving them away but you have to get there on shipping day.

• Members

Sami, you might wanna check around at some of the smaller mom & pop music shops. I know for a fact that the one I shop at throws guitar boxes in their dumpster all the time. They probably get fewer requests for guitar boxes than the big box stores.

If I needed one (or a few), I'd check GC of course, but I wouldn't be ashamed of doing a little dumpster diving if I had to. Not if UPS is getting $20 a pop, anyway!

• Members

If the guitar's worth anything, why not use a hard shell case - should cost less than $100 and will protect your guitar much better than any packing.

She talks about shipping it in the case in the OP.* Still, she'll have to pack the case in something, as well as packing something within the case if she wants the guitars to arrive without a whiplash crack or worse.

Why not just fly it there on your broom, Sami? :D

*HSC = Hard Shell Case

• Members

She talks about shipping it in the case in the OP.* Still, she'll have to pack the case in something, as well as packing something within the case if she wants the guitars to arrive without a whiplash crack or worse.

Why not just fly it there on your broom, Sami?
:D

*HSC = Hard Shell Case

My National 12 string Estralita came in the case with cardboard wrapped around it. I was horrified, but it arrived ok. The cone was damaged, but who can tell if that was shipping or not, the strings were slacked.

Horrified I tells ya!

• Members

Why not just fly it there on your broom, Sami?
:D

*HSC = Hard Shell Case

If I flew it there on my broom, the broomstick wouldn't be available to stuff up somebody's ass if he/she is stupid enough to give me that inclination - which is quite frequent these days.

Archived