Anyone hear switched from playing heavy metal to acoustic?

poderoso

• Members

Im at work and I got nothing to do.

I started playing guitar when I was 12. I started with nu metal(early 2000's) and then switched to alternative(incubus) to all sorts of metal(from pantera to lamb of god). That was during my teen years. Im 22 now and I barely use my electric guitar.

Ive been playing A LOT of acoustic songs lately. Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and even acoustic renditions of certain rock songs. I just love how simple yet complex one man and a guitar can accomplish. I think its amazing.

Anyone else made the switch? c'mon lets make this a long thread I have an hour to kill!

• Members

wow does that somewhat work like the eBow?

never heard of tommy emmanuel.

I still listen to heavy music. but lately ive been getting into acoustic tracks of pop/alternative bands like hellogoodbye and parachute. And i also love how boyce avenue arranges their tracks. Just one guitar, one strum of a chord that rings forever. I feel like im just mummbling some random stuff but i'll listen to some tommy emmanuel!

• Members
Nope, not me. I have always played acoustic guitar. That is what I started on as a kid. I do play electric as well (in a couple of bands) but when it comes to guitar the acoustic will always be with me. It's good to hear you are now enjoying acoustic music and playing it though.
:thu:

wow thanks. I always enjoyed the acoustic guitar. In fact my first guitar was an acoustic but I always tried to play smoke on the water on it. haha. But there was a phase when I felt like I would never need an acoustic guitar.

• Members

There was a thread over at the Dark Side asking why acoustics sound good played solo but electrics seem to want some other instruments around

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2867619-Why-do-Acoustic-guitars-sound-great-alone-but-Electrics-dont

I'm new to electrics, but have played acoustics for 40 or so years. I figured the reason my electric doesn't sound great alone is that I'm a crappy player.

• Members

I started on acoustic but got into electric Randy Rhoads' "Dee" got me back into it but Led Zeppelin pretty much relit the fire. I may get back into the Dark Side one day but I doubt I'll ever give up the acoustic again. Electric and acoustic are two separate animals as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

I started out on both. The first stuff I learned was Woody Guthrie as a kid, but I was also a huge Hendrix fan.. Then I heard Leadbelly which lead to the old blues guys. I got wrapped up in ragtime blues the next 25 years. That led to old swing tunes (django). The last 6-7 years I`ve worked hard on bluegrass/flatpicking..I love it all, but the sound of acoustic music (including horns) is what really melts my butter.. Every time I`ve had a solid body it mainly sits in it`s case..Archtops are something of a happy medium for me..

Bireli is a Sinti Gypsy and was "Born to it".Probably my favorite Gypsy Jazz player besides Django. The stuff he did with Jaco Pastorios was also amazing...I was married to a Romnichel Gypsy for 15 years until she passed away and they are magically creative people imo..

• Members

I really have no idea what heavy metal is. I read somewhere that Zep was one of the first metal bands. I thought that was Rock.

I think that's a misnomer. The band that first comes to my mind for "heavy metal" is (appropriately enough) Metallica. Zep was a melding of blues-rock-folk.

Also have heard that the term "heavy metal" originated from the lyrics of Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild".

• Members

I used to think of Metallica as "thrash metal" but agree that Steppenwolf coined the term. IMO heavy metal really started in the 70s with Alice Cooper, Black Sabbath, AC/DC, Kiss. Led Zeppelin is credited with the first metal "anthem" with "Stairway to Heaven" though which IMO is only "heavy metal" in the final minutes.

• Members

The definition of heavy metal has changed quite a bit. Led Zep used to be considered metal back in the day. Personally, I think of Sabbath as one of the first widespread metal bands and always considered Zep hard rock.

OT when I was growing up I played mostly metal on guitar, and was in a metal band (college kids playing the songs we loved). I still love a lot of the music and play it once in a while, but my tastes have changed and I mostly play open-mic acoustic performances. A one man metal band just doesn't cut it. Still, it's fun to go back and rock out.

• Members

I never found a need to "switch". I've never been into "rock" OR "heavy metal". I started out with "folk, blues and country" and just never felt the need to get into anything else. Hell, I still play some of the same songs I played back when I was 17!

However, I DID own an electric guitar once upon a time......about 40 years ago......had it for about a month. A friend owed me $25 and didn't have the money. So I accepted the offer of the guitar instead. Sold it for $35 and walked away proud of myself for getting rid of it! Never had the disire for another one.

• Members

Yeah, I consider them hard rock. I consider Black Sabbath the first metal band, and Metallica the most famous one.

I agree......

I started off playing metal in the '80's. I went through many different phases as an electric player until 4 or 5 years ago when I went 100% acoustic. I started getting back into electric guitar a few months ago. I forgot how much fun it is.

Regarding the picture above,Twisted Sister was never metal - they were a hair band. They played rock, had big hair and make up. That is not metal.

Metal is heavy and full of attitude.

I like "old school" metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Megadeath, etc.).

I prefer to play classic rock, blues and alternative - acoustic & electric.

• Members

Regarding the picture above,Twisted Sister was never metal - they were a hair band. They played rock, had big hair and make up. That is not metal.

Metal is heavy and full of attitude.

Sorry, I don`t agree..metal heads just don`t like to claim them, but Dee Snyder Not metal?!?.Glam Metal, maybe but still the same sub-genre...

Judas Priest to me is one of the first metal bands, but the first were Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple..UK bands.. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc came a little later..

• Members

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

Metal historian Ian Christe describes what the components of the term mean in "hippiespeak": "heavy" is roughly synonymous with "potent" or "profound," and "metal" designates a certain type of mood, grinding and weighted as with metal.[53] The word "heavy" in this sense was a basic element of beatnik and later countercultural slang, and references to "heavy music"

• Members

Sorry, I don`t agree..metal heads just don`t like to claim them, but Dee Snyder Not metal?!?.Glam Metal, maybe but still the same sub-genre...

Judas Priest to me is one of the first metal bands, but the first were Zep, Sabbath, Deep Purple..UK bands.. Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc came a little later..

We will have to agree to disagree. Twisted Sister's music was never hard enough to be metal. I put them in the hard rock category with Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Ratt, The Scorpions, Rush, etc....

Judas Priest started off metal and turned a little soft in the late '80's.

I never considered Led Zeppelin to be metal. 1/3rd of the music is acoustic. They are one of all time favorite bands. You can rock out to them or chill out to them depending on what mood you are in.

Born to Be Wild was a cool song but it doesn't come close to what Black Sabbath did. They raised the bar and set the standard.

• Members

Im at work and I got nothing to do.

I started playing guitar when I was 12. I started with nu metal(early 2000's) and then switched to alternative(incubus) to all sorts of metal(from pantera to lamb of god). That was during my teen years. Im 22 now and I barely use my electric guitar.

Ive been playing A LOT of acoustic songs lately. Jason Mraz, John Mayer, and even acoustic renditions of certain rock songs. I just love how simple yet complex one man and a guitar can accomplish.
I think its amazing.

Anyone else made the switch? c'mon lets make this a long thread I have an hour to kill!

Me to. The color, mood, depth and soul of one man on an acoustic guitar has always been a singular fascination to me. Yes, it is "amazing".

• Members

We will have to agree to disagree. Twisted Sister's music was never hard enough to be metal. I put them in the hard rock category with Kiss, Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Ratt, The Scorpions, Rush, etc....

Judas Priest started off metal and turned a little soft in the late '80's.

I never considered Led Zeppelin to be metal. 1/3rd of the music is acoustic. They are one of all time favorite bands. You can rock out to them or chill out to them depending on what mood you are in.

Born to Be Wild was a cool song but it doesn't come close to what Black Sabbath did. They raised the bar and set the standard.

K..thanx.

Archived