How many here long for the 80's?

Chorused Clean

• Members
Originally posted by Steve Matthews

I think the best decade was the one from 65 to 75.
:D

That was the time of music explosion and creative innocense.

The late 70's was a bit too caustic.

The 80's were silly, superficial and self-centered with lots of nose candy. But they gave us VCRs, DVD players and leg warmers.
:rolleyes:

The 90's and 00's have been mostly floggin a dead horse.
:cry:

Somewhere in there (around 1986) SRV gave me reason to live.
:idea:

But nothing beats the late 60's for expression, self-exploration, self-endulgence with the unique aspect that everything was going to be all right. Robust economy, cars that burned a {censored} load of gas and you were PROUD OF IT!, because they were BIG and went FAST. The only thing that made the late 60's lame was "The Nam" and to most people, that was just a channel on the dial. And I mean that with all due respect for what was going on for the service men. But to the average Joe/Jane baby boomer, that stuff was surreal at the time. But then you went, "man this is a bad TV show that never ends and it may just suck me through to the other side of the cathode ray tube!
:eek:
(I signed for the draft, but then it ended.)

Even the establishment generation got "into" the 60's with cocktail parties and nightclubbing making a huge surge in popularity. PussyCat Cocktails, Harvey Wallbangers, etc. Names of booze was all the adults even needed for themes for their parties. Hefner lead the way to show what being a "suit" and "hip" could be.

So it combined a lot of wow man
:cool:
with a lot of WOW MAN!

I mean we're talking space ships to the moon!

But everyone gravitates toward the music and times of their puberty.

Let's see.... 1956? :cool:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the best decade was the one from 65 to 75.

That was the time of music explosion and creative innocense.

The late 70's was a bit too caustic.

The 80's were silly, superficial and self-centered with lots of nose candy. But they gave us VCRs, DVD players and leg warmers.

The 90's and 00's have been mostly floggin a dead horse.
:cry:

Somewhere in there (around 1986) SRV gave me reason to live.
:idea:

But nothing beats the late 60's for expression, self-exploration, self-endulgence with the unique aspect that everything was going to be all right. Robust economy, cars that burned a {censored} load of gas and you were PROUD OF IT!, because they were BIG and went FAST. The only thing that made the late 60's lame was "The Nam" and to most people, that was just a channel on the dial. And I mean that with all due respect for what was going on for the service men. But to the average Joe/Jane baby boomer, that stuff was surreal at the time. But then you went, "man this is a bad TV show that never ends and it may just suck me through to the other side of the cathode ray tube!
:eek:

Even the establishment generation got "into" the 60's with cocktail parties and nightclubbing making a huge surge in popularity. PussyCat Cocktails, Harvey Wallbangers, etc. Names of booze was all the adults even needed for themes for their parties. Hefner lead the way to show what being a "suit" and "hip" could be.

So it combined a lot of wow man
:cool:
with a lot of WOW MAN!

I mean we're talking space ships to the moon!

But everyone gravitates toward the music and times of their puberty.

Ya,I pretty much everything important in pop/rock music happened from the mid 60's to the mid 70's. Although the beginning of rock and roll could be argued as well.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

+1 = early '57

Good Job!

aka/Steve Matthews

I saw this:

I had to register too. I was born in '56. I had a few months to worry about it before the draft ended.

• Members

Pschaw. All this nostalgia "it was better back in the day" is bull{censored}. The best day to live is always - ALWAYS - without fail..... *tomorrow*.

That said..... I'd quite possibly sell my soul rather than revisit the 80s - I had to live through that {censored} once, no way in hell am i ever doin' that again.

[Edited for typo]

• Members

Originally posted by Hudman

Dude, it's just a sign of you getting older. Guys in their 30's think the '80's were the best. Guys in their 40's think the '70's were the best. Guys in their 50's....etc, etc....

I'm in my 40's and I think now is the best! If you go back in time then you miss the good things that have happened since whatever time you pick. Sure there's some crap about, but there always was.

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

I don't miss any particular decade. The 60's sucked. The 80's sucked. The 90's sucked. The 1720's sucked. Yesterday sucked. Today sucks. Oh, and you know tomorrow, the day that's going to happen after today? Well yesterday, today was tomorrow - and today sucks. Using this logic I can tell you with absolute certainty, that tomorrow will suck donkey balls.

Wow... dude... stay away from sharp objects and tall buildings

• Members

I was a teenager on the cusp between the '70s and '80s ( I turned 18 in 1981). And there's great music from both decades and the '90s and the '00s. Lets throw in the 1960's too I don't long for any era. I do have fond memories of the '80s as these were the years that I was getting my first taste of living on my own and chasing hot babes around. ( Wish I'd gotten more {censored} but at least I got some).
There were some great guitarists then though.

• Members
Originally posted by Dr Wanker

That Iced Earth cover is from 2004
Were they even around in the 80's?

Did you read the post? He posted the cover as an example that some bands still make records with beautiful covers. If you can call 30 persons killing each other beautiful...

• Members

There were great musical contributions from ALL of those eras (as well as crap), though I agree that the spirit of exploration and expressionism was so powerful in the sixties and seventies. Everything was so new and exciting. It continues to be a source of so much inspiration and influence even today... and the music STILL holds up! True about the nostalgia comment... we tend to be fond of music that reminds us of the "good ol' days." I was born in the 70's and still love a lot of the 80's stuff. Some stuff has gotten better, some hasn't. (Christy Canyon is nice, but I've since developed a taste for Jenna Jameson).

What I wanna know is why aren't there anymore Mozarts, Bachs, and Beethovens running around anymore? Was there just something in the water back then?

I wonder if anyone will ever want to fondly re-live the Backstreet Boys someday? (besides the Backstreet Boys that is...)

• Members

Originally posted by RayUSA

What I wanna know is why aren't there anymore Mozarts, Bachs, and Beethovens running around anymore? Was there just something in the water back then?

Bach died before Mozart was even born. Beethoven and Mozart did overlap, but were roughly 2 decades apart. History goes back a long way and great composers have never been 10 a penny.

• Members

I thought the early 80's was good, up to around 83-84. You had the Police and Van Halen in the top ten, you had Ozzy and Ac/Dc at their peaks, and rap and hair metal hadn't yet completely taken over and saturated everything. The second half of the 80s was what epitomized the worst aspects of the decade.

• Members

I have fond memories of the 80's but the past is the past and that's that. There were some bad things then as well.

I'm more of a live in the moment and look forward to what the future holds kinda guy. I feel that right now we're in a very exciting era and I look forward to what everyday brings. But hey, that's just me...

• Members

The 60's were the best. Driving around in NYC during Xmas holidays in a Karman Ghia listening to the Stones' Satifsaction and Beatles' Hello Goodbye was great. Too busy being a father in the 80's to listen to the music. :wave:

Archived