Hottest Female Guitarist Ever?

fuzztone

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I was impressed with the aforementioned Susan Tedeschi when I first saw her a number of years back. She can really sing too. Bonnie Raitt and Sue Foley also jump to mind, I agree.

The hottest woman to ever hold a guitar (a bass and I don't think she could play it) was Tia Carrere in the movie "Wayne's World". Sha-wing!

Tia-Carrere-Ballroom-Blitz-188302.jpg

Ah, now that takes me back!! She sang two songs on that soundtrack (IIRC, the other was called "Why you wanna break ny heart" and i have this crazy notion in my head Clapton wrote it - or did he play on it??). FWIW, I far preferred her vocal on BB over the chipmunk on the original...

• Members

Damn, I remember seeing that appearance on the Word. It was one of those shows I used to watch compulsively back in the day for no reason other than sheer incredulity at how truly awful it actually was.

Yes - I was an avid viewer at the time too, for similar reasons to you. Having said that, it did have a real element of the unpredictable that is sorely lacking from the current very 'formulaic' TV schedule. Do you remember the Shabba Ranks appearance? Here's the blurb from Wikipedia:

In 1992 on the British Channel Four programme The Word [shabba Ranks] appeared to advocate the crucifixion of homosexuals and was condemned for his comments by presenter Mark Lamarr. His views have been cited as one reason for his decline in popularity.

Only time I ever remember admiring Mark Lamarr ;) (and I'm not even gay).

• Members
I was impressed with the aforementioned Susan Tedeschi when I first saw her a number of years back. She can really sing too. Bonnie Raitt and Sue Foley also jump to mind, I agree.

The hottest woman to ever hold a guitar (a bass and I don't think she could play it) was Tia Carrere in the movie "Wayne's World". Sha-wing!

Tia-Carrere-Ballroom-Blitz-188302.jpg

Ah, now that takes me back!! She sang two songs on that soundtrack (IIRC, the other was called "Why you wanna break ny heart" and i have this crazy notion in my head Clapton wrote it - or did he play on it??). FWIW, I far preferred her vocal on BB over the chipmunk on the original...

• Members
Thanks noisebloom.Are they still touring now that Astuko left?You are right that they are very nice.Here is a picture of a tape of a live show Michie sent me in 1987.

ShonenKnifetape.jpg

Hey fuzztone. That tape must be a great memento! You go a lot farther back as a Knife Collector than I do.

From the last I read on shonenknife.net, Atsuko seemed to leave the door open to touring with SK in the US, but that her permanent place in the band is up in the air. It's kind of a shame the Yamano sisters now live across the ocean from each other now, but tough decisions are a part of life sometimes.

• Members

No shortage of good looking girls, but the thread begs the question-why can't more women play really well? I'll give you Bonnie, Sharon I., and jennifer B. are good players, but the rest? charo is decent too, but as a flamenco player she's pretty weak. The female beck, jimi, page, pass, de lucia, etc, etc, etc, simply don't exist. Why? there's no shortage of world class women violinists, etc. What's with the guitar?

• Members
Hey fuzztone. That tape must be a great memento! You go a lot farther back as a Knife Collector than I do.

From the last I read on shonenknife.net, Atsuko seemed to leave the door open to touring with SK in the US, but that her permanent place in the band is up in the air. It's kind of a shame the Yamano sisters now live across the ocean from each other now, but tough decisions are a part of life sometimes.

Yeah,that is really sad.Do you know what ever happen to Michie?Me and my (now ex)wife used to be good friends with her and her(now ex)husband Steve but I haven't talked to Michie since 1999,she kinda vanished.She used to always put me on the guest list when they came to town.Here is a picture I took of backstage at The Roy Wilkins Auditorium in 1994,the 4th girl is my ex. That was an awesome show.The opened for The Breeders and Nirvana!

sk001.jpg

Archived