Squier

GAS Man

• Members
I got mine when they went to $99. I love it. I'm thinking about a new pickguard to replace the black one (mine has the blonde finish). Suggestions?

Here's what I did to mine.

Squier51pickgurad.jpg

I bought a piece of floor tile at the 99 cent store, cut it to shape and screwed it on.

I get lots of compliments.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so how do you switch between pickups on this? is it just two volume knobs that you have to blend?

Instead of a Tone Knob, the bottom knob is a 3-way pickup selector knob for N, N+B, or B and then if you pull out the volume knob, you get bridge coil splitting mode for N, N+SplitBridge, or Split Bridge, so 5 different pickup/tone settings.

• Members

Instead of a Tone Knob, the bottom knob is a 3-way pickup selector knob for N, N+B, or B and then if you pull out the volume knob, you get bridge coil splitting mode for N, N+SplitBridge, or Split Bridge, so 5 different tone settings.

oh man, thats pretty badass. i didn't realize they packed that much features into this $100 guitar. everything i hear makes me want one more and more. i've been wanting a black strat with maple neck, maybe i should save my money and buy one of these.

• Members

The Sam Ash in Indy does indeed have some. As does the Sam Ash in Cincy the last time I was in.

i bought mine just to experiment on. I got in on the overstock deal and I think it was 65 dollars shipped to my door. For that price it was worth it but I probably wouldn't have paid any more than that. Its a nice little guitar, but it really doesn't get played all that much as most of my other guitar feel and sound better to my ears. It will probably take on many different colors and pickup configs in its years as do most of my experimental beaters.

DSC01496.jpg

• Members
I wonder if there are any unmolested/un-violated/un-modded still in exsistence?
:confused:

Mine is still Virgin. I will probably do a few mods if I ever get around to polishing the sharp fret ends so I am tempted to play it more often! Other than that, I like my '51 a lot.

• Members
I suppose I could pull the Seymour Duncans and some other parts to make my price return at least somewhat fair. But I like the looks of it now. I like its Tone and it really plays like a dream since the frets were leveled and edge's rounded.

IM002428.jpg

I've seen '51 necks alone go for $100 on the bay. Mine had perfect frets
and no sharp edges. Got mine from MF though, for $99. I wonder if the
O-stock '51's were some sort of factory seconds? The Trans satin fat
mahogany strat I got from O-stock was wired wrong.

• Members

They chose a cheap ass (discontinued?) piece of crap sharp fretted crappy sounding junk pile as their pick? WTF? :mad:

Okay, maybe a little harsh, but I don't take ANYTHING those {censored}nuts magazines say as meaning anything. The same type of magazines claim if you close your eyes with an Epi LP Studio that it would be impossible to distinguish it from a Gibson LP Standard. WTF? :mad:

• Members

...imagine the possibilities (pics snatched from the site below)...
(check out this site for more modded '51s:
http://www.instituteofnoise.com/squier51/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2

PS...anybody in S. FL looking for a '51, I have a stock new in the box Black '51 for sale on Craigslist:
http://westpalmbeach.craigslist.org/msg/462059149.html
(sorry for spamming...couldn't resist ;) )

Archived